Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rack my van up.
  • iffoverload
    Free Member

Any suggestions and solutions for keeping bikes cozy in the back when going round roundabouts and bumpy lanes?

the old lean them up with random old duvets, boxes and handy packing stuff is getting old!

Tracey

We have four of these for the bikes in the garage of the camper

trail_rat
    Free Member

no idea if this works but thats mine

3 bikes in and i can get 2 more behind the rack if it needs be. or i can chuck the whole lot out as its only held in by tension – basically a reverse french cleat up front , if you lift the rear of the assembly and pull back it all comes out and i can load it up with 6 bikes with wheels – where the three currently are and more across back .

trail_rat
    Free Member

well blow me down …. those actually embedded ! im impressed. the edit function dont work but instagrams embed. this is good to know.

bigyan
    Free Member

Something like this is easy to make, holds 3 intact bikes in the back of a van, hassle free loading/unloading.

w00dster

Two bikes in my van. I just use a couple of bungees and a lock, one bungee on the rear wheel and one bungee going from floor to ceiling, between the frame and cranks. Living in Milton Keynes, the round about centre of the world, I can state this works well. (I drive about 500 miles per week like this, medium size Ful Sus 29er and a road bike go in no bother, no need to remove wheels.

I then use a 100cm Krptonite NY Forget About It lock, this is more for added security rather than anything else, I tend to travel with the bikes in the back on overnight jaunts. The lock goes between the chainstays/wheel through to a secure metal frame behind the cab.

Zero movement of gear. The van is a Citroen Berlingo, it has the O rings on the floor with hooks/holes in the roof area for the bungees to secure on to. Leaves me with loads of room to use the van as a changing room when I need to.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Just use two tie straps they stay there fine with the bigger wheeled bikes now I slot them into the motorbike wooden slot that I made for the front wheel of the  motorbike thats  with a Citroen relay.

tthew

I like that sliding shelf. What are the bearings? heavy duty drawer runners?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Heavy duty drawer runners were going to be 300+ quid. That’s 6 quids worth of skateboard bearings -20 quids worth of wood about a 20quids worth of bolts nuts ,washers  and tech screws and a 17quid length of 20*20box from the merchants

tthew

I can see how you’ve done it now I’m at home with a bit more time to study it. Nice job! That’d make loading and unloading a sight easier in a smaller van.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a bed above where the bikes live in the bus. Loading bikes was a pain in my neck so now I pull the drawer out , load up and push it back.

regenesis
    Free Member

Look at buying Thule arms from Exeter Roofracks.

one either side on dowel/tube and they swing down/remove when not in use.

kISS and much better than bungees with no need for foam/blankets/etc

iffoverload
    Free Member

regenesis

that is a top suggestion going to look into this as I do have a couple of unused racks! 🙂

thanks

tthew

Think I’m going to go for a regenesis/trail rat mash up using roof racks on a sliding bed. I reckon rotating the handlebars by about 20 degrees to make them nest rather than clash would be a good idea too.

mildbore

I’ve tried various solutions in the past and my current set up is the least faff. I use a length of metal gutter to hold the wheels straight then use luggage straps to secure the bikes to the van’s anchor points. Pipe lagging on contact points when carrying more than one bike

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fyi I tried roof racks on my shelf.

Utter toss and ‘ripped them back out .

That block of wood with holes drilled in seems the best solution so far.

BigJohn

I use these plasterboard props.  Get them in B&Q for about £25 a pair.  Wrap a bit of foam or towels around them and keep the bikes stable.

They have dozens of uses.

spooky_b329

Pallet rack.  Bonus is you can sometimes strap these in place without putting any fixings into your employers van 🙂  Its got two wheel widths so can take my mtb or gravel bike, I can leave the van at work overnight, cycle home and back in the next morning.

regenesis
    Free Member

Will get a pic tomorrow if I can for you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rack my van up.’ is closed to new replies.