• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rack mounted mudguard?
  • RustySpanner

Hiya,

Have a Disc Trucker I like to use off road now and then.

It’s got dynamo lights front and rear and this type of rack:

Have wide SKS road guards on usually, but they’re a pain in the mud, instant claggage with knobblies and grit.

I’d like a lightweight, wide guard which attaches to the rack and protects luggage and light fittings.

Could probably bodge something but wondered if there was anything you’d recommend?

Thanks.

amedias
    Free Member

Could probably bodge something

TBH this sounds like one of those requirements where I think you should go down this route, make something that will actually fit properly, and be the shape you want it to.

Get some cardboard and start making templates etc. Then when you’re ready plastic and a heat gun for moulding into shape. You should be able to get exactly what you’re after hen, attach it where and how you want etc.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 use some reusable cable tie to attach and remove easily.

RustySpanner

Milk bottles and zip ties it is.
    🙂

Will have a nosey at modding a wider seatpost mounted guard too.

Possibly have a look at bodging a lighter, simpler version of a top section from a euro type full enclosure?
    Don’t need the side sections.

Hmmm.
    🙂

Bez

Out of interest, what tyres are you using? I find that guard clearance on my Trucker is tighter on the fork than on the frame. (I can just about squeeze 47mm Vee Rails in with SKS guards, but it’s tight at the crown.)

RustySpanner

Got a bagful of half worn 26 knobblies, Maxxis Ignitor 1.95 front and a 1.95 Fire XC Pro rear ATM.

Have 2.1 versions of those too which look as though they should be fine, not tried them yet though.

There’s also a Crossmark, an Advantage and a couple of Bontrager XR4’s which at 2.25 are probably a bit wide.

Use 26*2 Marathon Supremes on the road with the SKS guards, plenty of clearance.
    50cm frame.

Bez

Ah, right so, I’m on a 62cm so I tend to forget about the 26″ versions 🙂

RustySpanner

🙂
    Ah.

How do you find it off road?

Mine’s a bit twitchy, likes to plough on a bit, but sat down it’ll climb anything.

Fun.

Bez

Probably can’t really comment: mine’s set up for a range from tarmac to fireroads. Does all that admirably. Though to be honest the geometry’s pretty close to the Cross Check I used to have, which I did use off-road, and which was quite a lot of fun other than that I seem to hit my off-road limits pretty quickly on drop bars: I think the sheer extent of fork flex on it probably saved me a few times 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Options are, as i see it;

1. Are you running 65mm SKS or 53mm?
    2. can you not run it further from the tyre? (or is width still an issue?)
    3. SKS Velo 65 is a half guard for MTBs, its flatter so shouldnt sit down around the tyre like a tourer SKS guard, but youd need to fashion a bracket to attach it to the rack as it uses stays. I made a bracket like that for my tourer SKS guard using a scrap piece of alu and a saw, drill and file, gave it a rattle can sparay and mounted it to the light mount on the tubus rack. Its been absolutely solid. Integrated a new light mount too (as not using a B&M on this bike)

slowster
    Free Member

I cannot advise on the mudguards, but Tubus do make a Mudguard Holder, which would presumably be suitable for your rack.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’ve an sks beavertail XL[/b] rear guard, which i’ve had on many different bikes in many configerations (29er, 700c town bike, 27.5+ fs) but very often with re-useable zip ties through the mounting bracket part. then front end usually clips round the down tube, tho on my real bike the other day (FS b+) i had it on with only zip ties. still great.
    reckon that’d be a fairly good bet, zipping onto your rack in one or more places.

this one:

BEAVERTAIL XL SET

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got 65mm Bluemels on my Swift (in general on/off road guise). They flop around a bit but I’ve attached a mudguard bridge onto the rack’s light mount with holds them rock solid.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rack mounted mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.