Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rack and panniers for commuting.
  • flyingmonkeycorps

In a few weeks I’ll be starting a new job 7 miles away, so I’ll be commuting again (instead of skating to work, which I will miss!). Last time I commuted I used a backpack which was OK, but I’ll need to dress like a grown up at the new place and possibly carry more stuff so panniers sound like a better idea.

I have a Pinnacle Arkose which I’ll be riding, with full guards that has rack mounts. I’ve had a browse and the choice (and cost range) is baffling!

So – what would STW recommend for a sturdy set of waterproof panniers and rack that will carry plenty of stuff and (ideally) not cost a fortune? Something that I can take off and use as a shoulder bag would be a bonus, but not essential.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I bought the Alpkit Love Mud rack and rate it well enough for the price. It sits far back away from heels. Fairly lightweight and sturdy with fixing plate for rear light. Also have a Tortec but geberally stick with the Alpkit because it’s lighter and non-more black. The last point satisfies my colour OCD with matching kit 🤣

Panniers, most ppl will immediately think Ortlieb, and prob for good reason. Buy cheap buy twice. My Lidl ones would be great but the velcro lower rack-leg fastening is pitiful and broke in no time at all

lunge

I went with the cheaper option.
    A Planet-X rack, https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAJOAPR/jobsworth-disc-brake-compatible-adjustable-pannier-rack
    A Decathlon bag, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-bag-20l-id_8402098.html

The rack was easy to fit and is very sturdy, the bag is basic but waterproof and more than does the job.

CraigW
    Free Member

Tortec racks are reasonably priced and work fine. For panniers, I like a rack with lower rails, keeps the bags lower and further away from your feet. And makes it easier to strap stuff on the top.

For panniers, Ortlieb are great, not cheap, but tough and waterproof.

cookeaa

I use a Vaude Contour Max (identical to the rixen & Kaul Contour max).

It mounts on the seat post with a pretty discrete clip and will happily take rolled up shirt/trousers/undies/socks/small towel, plus lunch/wallet/phone/keys/deodorant/shower gel. the only thing I need to leave in the office is a pair of shoes…

It’s brilliant, there’s enough volume to carry work essentials, and I don’t have to leave a pannier rack on the bike when I’m not carrying luggage. has a shoulder strap and is robust enough to go offroad

schmiken

Tortec Velocity and Ortlieb panniers.

TiRed

Ortlieb Rack 3 and a QL3 Downtown pannier. Looks like a briefcase. The QL3 system keeps most of the mounting on the rack rather than the bag, so it won’t bang on your legs when you carry it. The dedicated rack makes it look smart on the bike and very fast to fix. I have the earlier tubus rack that can only take QL3, the new racks are more useful.

Downtown is big enough to take clothes and a laptop, shoes need to be kept at work. It’s absolutely waterproof. Buy a black one. Mines white and hard to keep looking remotely clean!

Bez

IME a rack is a rack, they pretty much all work fine. Some need some adaptation for especially small or large bikes.

Pannier wise your choice is QR (easy life, rattly ride) or straps and hooks (a bit more faff but quieter on the road). Fully waterproof panniers tend to be QR. Maybe there’s a non-rattly QR system out there but from the limited range of panniers I’ve tried I’ve not found the perfect solution.

I’m currently using Altura Sonic 25s, which are waterproof and QR but they do rattle and (like most waterproof panniers) they don’t have compression straps or external pockets. But they’re about the right size for a laptop or two and a change of clothes.

flyingmonkeycorps

Thanks all, plenty to look at there. I really like the look of the Ortlieb Downtown (and similar) – something that I can use off the bike would be really handy. Would you use it if you weren’t on the bike or is it not great as a courier type bag? Is there anything similar but cheaper or do I just need to pony up? My last courier bag was a Manhattan Portage one which is still going strong after about ten years, so if an Ortlieb will last like that then £100 or so doesn’t sound too bad.

Space for a laptop would definitely be beneficial, then just the usual clean shirt and lunch I guess. Plus I can always get a cheap roll top for t’other side if I need to carry more.

TiRed

I use my Downtown as a regular briefcase. It’s with me now in the office. I fly with it without the bike 😉 . It’s a nice piece of kit which I’d replace with another if it broke. Curiously the Brompton version is double the cost. So I have a different Brompton bag for my other folding bike.

tjagain

Tubuys racks are much better quality than anything else I have tried – but at a cost.

Panniers – I have both ortleib and carradice. The ortleib ones are heavy and bombproof as well as waterproof and clip on and off the bike very easily. too easily if you are going to leave the bike with them on – they also rattle a bit sometimes

Carradice – also waterproof and bommproof – and the rear ones are huge! Fiddly to clip on and off the bike and thus better if you are leaving the bike with them on

My view is buy cheap buy twice. Carradice if you are leaving them on the bike, ortleib if not. Tubus rack all the way. I have broken just about every cheapo one I have tried. ( tortec etc)

parkesie
    Free Member

Topeak mtx slide on bag and racks work well for commuting.

igm

Topeak Explorer MTX here.

The MTX tray is useful with the right top bag, and serves as a bit of s mudguard too.

Ortlieb for a big old waterproof roll-top.

Altura Dryline for the laptop.

Several year old (7 plus). Rack is wearing where the panniers hook on but still serviceable. Bags nigh on perfect.

shermer75
    Free Member

The best thing about Ortliebs is that they are waterproof and really quick and easy to take on and off the rack. The worst thing about them is that they aren’t great off the bike- to use tge shoulder strap they need to be open, which feels a bit naff. They are pricey, but they aren’t overpriced if you know what I mean.

kentishman
    Free Member

I have been using the decathlon b’Twin messenger bag and it has been fine if you want a cheaper alternative to the Ortlieb Downtown.

twowheels
    Free Member

Arkose, Tortec Tour Ultralite, Ortlieb Backroller City, Bonty NCS 45mm works well for me (commuting and pleasure). A Tortec Velocity rack does not fit.

benp1

Arkose with Topeak explorer rack and full mudguards

I use a Topeak mtx rack pack everyday, it’s ace! I have some ortlieb back rollers and a Lidl set too. Rarely used

ransos
    Free Member

It took ten years of daily use to wear my Ortliebs out. So I bought another set.

molgrips
    Free Member

Go Outdoors do some incredibly strong racks that are cheap. I have one – it’s great. Heavy though, but who cares for commuting?

My standard Ortlieb are also awkward to carry about off the bike – but they do loads, so some of the others are probably better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rack and panniers for commuting.’ is closed to new replies.