• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DIS.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Racing: where, when, how? Is it really scary?
  • barn
    Free Member

Never raced, but keen to give it a go.

Happy to try XC, CX or even some road stuff (although it’s not the season for Tarmac I guess)..
    Prefferably London or South Coast area.

What were the first races you lot did? What websites should I look at?
    I’m 37, so no spring chicken.

Any thoughts, pointers, encouragement or mockery very welcome.

Thanks.

RealMan
    Free Member

British cycling event calender is a pretty decent place to start.

XC racing is not scary. It’s just normal xc riding, just painfully fast.

Road racing can be scary very occasionally, but it is a lot of fun.

How far are you from Portsmouth? Mountbatten is a pretty good place to start IMO.

br
    Free Member

Gorrick series is a decent level, plus lots of different classes:

http://www.gorrick.co.uk

nonk
    Free Member

http://www.xcracer.com/
    get amongst it.

8 hour race near Bristol coming up if you fancy an endurance event.
    http://www.bike-fest.com/oktoberfest/index.php
    You get all sorts of abilities and fitness levels at these sort of events. They are ideal for beginners.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

37 – that’s only just past a blokes peak imho…

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 for Gorrick, great courses also.

crikey
    Free Member

…and when you’ve raced for a while you change. You realise the difference between racers and non racers, and you realise how much quicker racing is compared to riding.

cqed
    Free Member

cx racing is great for newbies. very inclusive. the season has just started.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Racing makes you feel alive. You find new limits and you can’t wait until the next race.

Whatever you decide to race, get out there and give it some. To start you might just be racing yourself. Then racing someone else of a similar ability and then going out there for the win.

Often quoted, but very true, “Racing is life… everything before and after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen

Good luck.

barn
    Free Member

cheers all.
    love the McQueen quote above!

been racing boats for years… everything before and after is just sailing.

DIS

I am 36, only started xc racing last year so don’t worry to much about the 37years, there seems be plenty of 40+ year old riders who are way quicker than me. Defiantly agree with the comment:

…and when you’ve raced for a while you change. You realise the difference between racers and non racers, and you realise how much quicker racing is compared to riding.

Start in the fun cat to see how you do then take it from there. Fist race I did I came 10th (Fun) so moved up to open.

I have it really good fun, so give it a go.

njee20
    Free Member

Gorricks are a great introduction, very inclusive and tend to have good sized fields in fun/open which is probably the best place to start.

DIS

If you do start racing try not to be to intimidated by all the very expensive and shiny bikes around with people wearing matching kits. Some of them are very quick but plenty are not!

I remember my first race wearing some baggy shorts and old howies t sheet, £500 pound bike, thinking what had I just got my self into!

But it was fine, every one (apart from 1 or 2 village idiots that you seem to find everywhere) were very friendly both on and of the race track. All races I have been to have had a great atmosphere.

The Gorrick brass monkey serries might be a good event to try.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Racing: where, when, how? Is it really scary?’ is closed to new replies.