Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Racing Ralphs in the wet?
  • Kryton57

Specifically Thetford/Brandon and specifically rear only for racing. I’ve only ever ridden them in the dry…..?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Well they won’t grip as well as a mud tyre but in less it’s very muddy you’ll be alright.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I was out on mine yesterday in gloop and roots, they were ok at slow speeds but a little faster and they felt a bit twitchy.
    I’ve ridden on worse tyres.

Caz xx

ahsat

Have them on my new cross bike, and they were good while it was tipping it down the other day. Mtb type cornering may be different.

boxfish
    Free Member

I found them more predictable than Nobby Nics when things get slippery

emac65
    Free Member

Fine on the rear traction wise,not so good braking wise..If they’re 50% worn they can be riot on wet muddy stuff,loads of drifts….

Kryton57

That’s a worry box fish , there’s a Nic on the front…..

xcneil
    Free Member

Ok out back but on the front……washout

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

ridden my 2.1 ‘s in clay and peaty soil and was quite surprised how well they worked. Yes, a bit of oppo at times, but still kept the speed up when needed.

boxfish
    Free Member

That’s a worry box fish , there’s a Nic on the front…..

Yeah. I thought the nobblier Nobby would perform better on the front when things got sticky.

I just didn’t get on with it at all. Even tried reversing it to see if that made any difference.

bones76
    Free Member

I run a tubs version of them front and back on one of my cross bikes and IMO they are very good in wet muddy conditions but guess that could be down to me running at a low of 24/26psi and in turn getting plenty of grip, I also run top end cross tires on another bike and so far IMO the RR’s do as good of a job and at a lot less cost…

gee
    Free Member

If they’re tubeless, just drop the pressure to 25psi and you’ll be fine.

I used Ralphs for all the extremely wet D2Ds – fine.

GB

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

They are predicatble in their lack of traction ill give them that… Fairly controllable but if its that real slipy slimy stuff (Like the route from chingford to epping today! God that was slidy… But fun!) rather than the fudge then forget about traction!

Rocket Ron if your not willing to compromise all the way to a beaver? I use one up front all year find it really good in the mud due to the block spacing but still really fast.

cynic-al
    Free Member

JESUS CHRIST OP?!??!

IN THE WET?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAN, NO!

superfli
    Free Member

Better on 29er

takisawa2

I run them year round. They have a limit, but when they let go it’s predictable. So I stick with them.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Good luck 😯

6079smithw
    Free Member

Wet xc racing = WTB Raijin

stu170
    Free Member

As others have said slippy but very predictable in the wet. Mines nearly bald at the back. With a nic on the front. And they cope well at thetford and brandon. Well for me anyway.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

RaRa on the rear of my bikes for years, better in the larger sizes with low pressure

They need to make thunder Burt’s wider as well

ratherbeintobago

They need to make thunder Burt’s wider as well

Thunder Burt in the wet could be ‘interesting’…

gee
    Free Member

I ran Burts at D2D this year – they became interesting when there was a light dew.

GB

nickc

IME they’re less shit that you’d think they’d be. That’s not to say they’re any good, and you’ll waste a lot of energy trying to make a sliding tyre grip, but they’re not as ‘dump you on your arse as soon as look at you’ crap as you’d expect.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Get a winter set of tyres

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve run them all year round. Grassy wet clag was an issue, but otherwise pretty good. There’s always varied terrain on an off road ride, and they make up for it with their speed everywhere it’s not uphill grassy clag.
    Slide a bit, but hook up….in the end.

benji
    Free Member

Never mind wider thunder burts a cx version would be lovely.

Kryton57

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Get a winter set of tyres

I’ve four Mud X in the man cave, don’t fancy racing on those.

But I have 2 Crests, 2 Ralph’s and a Nic in front of me and I need a Jan – Mar set of tyre s mounted tubeless, and I’d like only to go through the process once.

Or is there a better fast rolling mixed conditions rear tyre to look for, and leave the Ralph’s for drier conditions?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that if you are worrying about tyre choice i.e. don’t have a bank of experience to draw on, then it really doesn’t matter what tyre you race on. The differences are measured in seconds and you’ll be far better off outside doing hill repeats than spending time thinking about it.

I’m not trying to be patronising, just feel I should make the point.

tenfoot

I’m running a Racing Ralph rear and a Mountain King Racesport (2.2 Black Chilli) on the front of my hardtail. I know a lot of people don’t get on with MKs, but I have had them on a number of bikes, so I’m used to them, which gives me confidence.
    It isn’t very rocky in kent, so took a chance with the Racesport version.

So far, so good.

Kryton57

Rollindoughnut I hear you, a valid and correct point thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

I prefer Rons for winter use, a little more tread in the centre. You won’t die either way though.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I always use Ron front Ralph rear at Thetford all year round, it’s not sticky mud so never had a problem. Can’t be bothered changing tyres every 5 mins so just get on with it

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralphs in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.