• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by leth.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Raceface SixC 35mm Handlebar Alternative
  • Bigmantrials

I am currently running the SixC 35mm clamp and 30/35mm rise bar at 780mm wide, yesterday at BPW after 2-3 full runs I could barely hold onto the bars, having to stop and rest my hands/arms before carrying on. I was aware that the bars were meant to be stiff, but being  a bigger guy I thought it might be ok, obviously not!

So what would people recommend trying to aleviate this, Spank Vibrocore seem an obvious one to try, but as far as I am aware they are only in 31.8mm and I have just bought a new stem, so don’t really want to change that. How do the Renthal Fatbar 35’s fair?

Thanks

kimbers

Ill let u know in a week or so

my Sixc 35mm bars were damaged by the fucknugget that stole my bike and Im ordering some renthals today to replace!

Ive heard conflicting reviews as to whether they are stiffer or not!

Id say the sixcs were a bit stiffer than my old 31.8 onone  knuckleballs (hard flavour)

DezB
    Free Member

Interested to know why you think it’s the bars and not other set up issues (forks? tyre pressure? grips?)

Bigmantrials

Interested to know why you think it’s the bars and not other set up issues (forks? tyre pressure? grips?)

I was running a shockwiz yesterday to get the fork setup, so pretty happy it isn’t that. I bought a different set of grips to try out whilst I was there, usually run Ergon GE1, tried some Deathgrips and it made no difference. I wouldn’t expect it to be the tyre, I spent most of my time on the more natrual trails so had it setup slightly on the softer side any way.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Race Face bars are utter filth; way too stiff. My SixC bar destroyed my hands / arms.

I tried the Vibrocore ars and they were Ok but a funny shape.

Im now on some Chromag carbon bars and really like them; good shape and way more comfortable than the SixC bars I had.

Bigmantrials

I should probably add that I am not fussed on sticking to carbon, if there are some good options in Aluminium I am happy to give them a go!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I started a thread about the Renthal bars a few days ago and opinion was mixed!

Im currently using Chromag BZA 35mm. I cut them down from 800 to 760mm and they are noticeably stiffer after the cut.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Race Face bars are utter amazeballs, stiff , responsive, high quality.

Tried chromag bars and they were overpriced, garish, not as good shape but no different in comfort to Race Face.

🙂

after two or three runs i’d be looking at other factors first, but hey ho just my view

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have Race Face Bars (Next R) but not fitted yet. Had standard Next Carbon bars before and liked them a lot. never tried SixC ones though – think they are stiffer than the Next R.

Previously had Renthal Lite 35mm carbon bars and like them! Selling off a few pairs of 760mm wide 20mm rise ones if anyone interested. (1 mint, other 2 have some marks).

orangespyderman

after two or three runs i’d be looking at other factors first, but hey ho just my view

This.  I’d agree that after only a couple of runs, there’s something else in play other than bar stiffness.  The stiffness may be compounding something else (position, technique, …) but I wouldn’t expect stiffness alone to make such a difference that a full day’s riding is unbearable after only 2 runs.

I have SixC 35mm on my bike, and I’ve done full days in the Alps and never once felt the bars were an issue.  Do you have any other bikes on which you don’t have the same problem in similar or same conditions that you can compare setup on?

chiefgrooveguru

I really like how my SixC bars feel. Best I’ve found yet! Full 800mm width plus another 10mm from the Deathgrips.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got 35mm SixC’s in a lower rise on a hardtail and while I love the shape, they’re probably stiffer than I need.  Not so much of an issue that I’d replace them, but I probably wouldn’t buy such a stiff set of bars again.

Interested, how much more give do the Nexts have?

chestrockwell

My 800mm 35 clamp carbon Renthals are noticeably more forgiving than the aluminium Race Face they replaced.

woodster

My Pro Tharsis Trail are so much comfier than my SixCs were, but only available in 31.8 I think. Definitely a change for the better.

Northwind

Supposedly the Renthals were designed to feel exactly like the 31.8s- which aren’t exactly soft but they’re not as rock solid as my old Enves were, they’re into the wide range of “Just bars” for me rather than doing anything interesting.

But honestly, I’d ditch the stem and go to 31.8, I know it’s a new stem but you’re now working your more expensive new bars around it, and it’s affecting your choices. And at the end of the day one of the “benefits” of the 35mm standard has been pitched as adding moar stiffs, so even though it doesn’t have to be that way, a lot of bars built for it will be designed for stiffness.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Deathgrips

If you suffer from hand fatigue or arm pump lock ons are the last thing you should be running. Swap over onto some wired ons or silicone grips – this will add a fair amount of comfort as you gain more rubber between your hands and the bars.

Then hit the Gym.

The most comfortable bars I’ve used were the Syntace Vector Carbons, which had a lot of vertical flex – you could actually see it when pressing hard down on the bars. They never felt inaccurate though, my Spanks are considerably stiffer vertically.

Poopscoop

Op, I have the exact same bars in the same clamp size, length and rise.

I found them a little harsh initially.

Out of curiosity I switched to some cheap foam lock on’s and they feel pretty nice now.  Being my first carbon bars I am reassured by the sturdiness particularly after a crash I had last year..

Basically,I like the SixC’s.  👍

Bigmantrials

So perhaps I will give the bar a little longer, I am going to ditch the lock on grips (Deathgrip’s and GE1’s), possibly for some Renthal Ultra Tacky Push On’s to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions will still be good to hear!

onedpete
    Free Member

Odi F1 Vapour grips are what I’m going for next, look like odi’s take on ESI silicone grips, so should offer a decent amount of trail comfort over lock ons. If I was going to stick with lock ons, the deity knuckledusters look like they’d be a comfy option, quite deathgrippy, but with more ribby section for comfort and slightly thicker diameter. I’m running 35mm RF Turbine R bars in a 20mm rise btw. I wish I’d gone for the 35mm rise actually, might be interested in your Sixc bars if you don’t get on with them op.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, I see. Grips eh? 😛

Bigmantrials

Oh, I see. Grips eh?

It was one of suggestions from your previous post and the cheapest thing to try. Pretty happy the fork setup (Shockwiz didn’t suggest any significant changes to the fork) and tyre pressure are fine. Even if there are improvments I can make to riding position or other factors if a change of grip can help matters its worth a try, surely???

joebristol

What tyres are you running and what psi? Also, what bike / forks are you running and which trails were you doing.

No matter what bike I run, by the time I’ve smashed a few high speed runs at BPW I can have claws for fingers by the bottom. Serves me right for braking too much.

In terms of bars I didn’t like my raceface aeffect ones that came on my bike – not sure if it was the stiffness or the up/ back sweep. Flogged then on eBay and bought a bar I knew I got on with from my last bike – nothing fancy – just an ElGuapo Saloon riser bar from Planet X. Usually £30 in either 31.8 or 35 but I’ve boticed both have been on offer at £15 from time to time. I’m much happier with the new handlebar.

Cheapest place to start is tyre pressures though, followed by grips.

Do you get these issues anywhere else, or just BPW? could be a technique and strength issue that needs addressing if it’s due to the length / speed of the runs there.

leth
    Free Member

I’d experiment with the angle & position of your levers.

You maybe putting stress through the wrong part of your hands and wrists.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Raceface SixC 35mm Handlebar Alternative’ is closed to new replies.