Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Raceface Atlas AM Cranks……anybody got one?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Looking at replacing my age RS7’s on my 5 Spot.

I don’t want to go down the Shimano route if I can help. I like the look of the Raceface Atlas AM Cranks but are they any good.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Ken

BearBack
    Free Member

Dues Cranks will be more than enough on your 5 spot and more of a comparison to the middleburns.

I’d run Atlas AM’s on a 6+ inch FR bike.. although I do run Deus on my Ransom.

Atlas will be stiffer, but the deus are stiff enough for AM riding.

IMO

turneround

got a set of atlas on my sopt…no problems whatsoever and they are more than capable to suck up anything i throw at them.

i have deus on my yeti hardtail but i wouldnt put these on the spot due to the riding it gets, deus can be a little flexy

johnikgriff
    Free Member

My Atlas came on a Kona I got a couple of years ago. Its the only bit I have left. The middle ring went after about 6 months and I replaced it with a Middleburn. Been perfect ever since.

richc
    Free Member

RF fitting system sucks arse compared to the shimano way, as you have to do a bolt up tighter than you would every believe possible in order to squash the splines together.

personally I would just get SLX/XT

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a Evolve XC on my Handjob and a SLX on the Pitch.

I think the RaceFace shifts better and looks better, granted the SLX is stronger.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Race Face Atlas on my proper bike, Deus on my racer.Race Face’s system is brilliant- driveside arm attaches, not the NDS which I much prefer, they look nice and the fact that you simply can’t overtighten them appeals to me a lot.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

got a set of atlas for sale if you’re interested 😉 just arms and bash, no rings or BB.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I almost ruptured my spleen trying to instal my Atlas cranks. You need a allen key the size of Italy to get them on as they fit tighter than a ten year old!

richc
    Free Member

The torque setting for the bolt is in the range normally used for fitting stuff to lorries. Nuts setting for something to be fitted to a bike

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Atlas AMs here, no problem fitting or removing. Did bend some teeth on middle ring (even with a bashguard, go figure), but bent back into shape easily. Bottom bracket is crap though

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re cranks, they go round, the bike goes forwards.. they’re quite heavy. I can’t imagine you’d ever break the Deus ones unless you’re seriously overweight or totally hamfisted. Or both 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

All you’ve got to do is bottom the crank bolt out, it’s not that hard with a long 8mm hex wrench.

If you’re struggling get a 12″ long breaker bar with a 3/8″ end and use a hex socket, that’ll give you plenty of torque.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Nice cranks but very expensive. BB has lasted far longer on these than XT/Hone/Saint, i may have overtightened the shimanos.

darrell
    Free Member

got them on my BFe – they work, are a but heavy, but are also pretty tough

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Raceface Atlas AM Cranks……anybody got one?’ is closed to new replies.