Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • RACE TIPS ANYONE??
  • rocklobster
    Free Member

Ive got my first xc race coming up and dont know what to expext. anyone got any tips?

weeksy

pedal faster 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Expect to wonder where everyone went at the start 😉

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Be prepared for a whole world of pain. 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Prepare bike and kit well in advance.
    Turn up, everyone will look faster than you but don’t worry.
    Warm up
    Ride the course, look for lines and places to overtake and points where you’ll need to change gear. Just avoids surprises.
    Listen to the marshal.
    Don’t start too far back.
    Don’t start too far ahead.
    Race smooth
    Don’t kill yourself trying to overtake, do it smoothly with efficiency.
    Give it some on the last lap it’s only a few minutes of your life.
    Stay around afterwards
    Do better next time.

FuzzyWuzzy

Don’t have someone hook your bars at the start causing you to crash closely followed by 30 odd people riding over you, although it does get the adrenaline going.

njee20
    Free Member

Sort your bike before hand. Don’t leave anything to do ‘on the day’.

Make sure you know where everything is, don’t just assume that your multitool is still somewhere in the boot of your car.

Enjoy it.

scotty38
    Free Member

Train much, much harder as unless you’re some sort of riding god you’ll realise you’re not as fit as you thought you were 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

You are talking about a race race aren’t you? i.e 45 minutes of speed.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Start out (really) hard and try to grab onto someone’s wheel who is a bit faster than you. I was fortunate enough to do one of my first races with a quicker mate who basically dragged me round the race as I sat on his back wheel following his lines.

Iain

JamieMc
    Free Member

Slipstream on the fireroads as much as you can. I discovered this when a fellow racer did it to me. After i did all the work to the top of the fireroad climb he poped out and ahead of me into the singletrack, with fresher legs than me. Has never happend since though! 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

BMX style gate start, make sure you have the legs to keep it until you’re out of sight from the start.

At least all the spectators will think you’re a hero.

oldgit
    Free Member

Remember how many laps there are.

Don’t chase a bunch down and sit on their wheel thinking you have another lap to take them, only to find that you have just DONE the last lap 🙄

scotty38
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Remember how many laps there are.

Don’t chase a bunch down and sit on their wheel thinking you have another lap to take them, only to find that you have just DONE the last lap

I’ve not raced for years but I was never, ever in any doubt how far it was to the finish 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve forgotten in numerous crits, but never in a mountain bike race, they’re rarely more than about 8 laps, even for a very short course!

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    I’ve forgotten in numerous crits, but never in a mountain bike race, they’re rarely more than about 8 laps, even for a very short course!

Are you racing the Gorrick at Swinley this year?

njee20
    Free Member

The Gorrick Enduro?

Yes, I’ll do the 3 lap one, great event!

Kryton57

Cool. I’ll say hello if I see you.

I might do the 5 or 7 this year, but I’m doing the Berks 100 the week before so I may change my mind yet.

After getting beaten up on an HT in the super dry Swinley last year, I’m not sure whether the FS or the new super comfy (and light) Enigma is the way to go…..

Anyway OP my advice, ride at your own best pace, having trained and worked out your average and don’t get dragged into someone elses comfort zone. Totally agree about the last lap – give it all you have as you don’t need anymore energy than it takes to lift up a dirty burger once over the finish line. I didn’t do that last year and after I finished, discovered a 1 min 30 difference would have gained me 5 places!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve not raced for years but I was never, ever in any doubt how far it was to the finish

said a wise man.

Garry_Lager

Don’t let anyone with grey hair precede you into a descent or technical singletrack section.

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t let anyone with grey hair precede you into a descent or technical singletrack section.

My arse.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

To finish first, first you have to finish.

Kryton57

Garry_Lager – Member
    Don’t let anyone with grey hair precede you into a descent or technical singletrack section

On that very 2011 Gorrick I was mentioning earlier, a grey hair gent pulled up beside me and said “mind if I ride next to you and chat for a bit, I’m trying to pace myself”. 10 mins later he shot off. He was doing 7 laps (100k) to my 3 😳

crazy-legs

There are only TWO rules in XC (and CX) racing:

Try to catch the person in front of you.
    Try to drop the person behind you.

😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘RACE TIPS ANYONE??’ is closed to new replies.