Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Race Face cranks – odd internal diameter for middle rings?
  • keithb

Righto, going 1×9 and putting some old evolve xc cranks to use into the deal.

So, on trying to fit the new (cheap, Chinese) narrow-wide ring, it won’t fit in the middle position!  Only the outer position. This is due to the cranks having very little space between the volt hole and the main bit of the arm.

Is this normal?  Is this why there seem to be more race Face cranks second hand than any others?

Now the Biggie:. Should I grind down the rings or the cranks???

nixie

I’d bet more on the ring being odd dimensioned. The ring is cheaper and probably easier to modify so modify that.

coatesy
    Free Member

We used to get this regularly when moving from (I think) 8 to 9 speed rings, probably an attempt to stop components being mixed. I’d probably file the ring for now, and do the cranks if the next ring you buy doesn’t fit either.

st

I’ve had this before using a non RF chainring. A few minutes with a file (or Drexel if you have access to one) on the chainring is the way to go.

garage-dweller

Some rings fit and some don’t (I have a pair of Atlas cranks that had the same issue). Shimano rings were a problem but both Superstar and Hope bolted straight on but were a very snug fit.

If file the ring if I filing anything.

keithb

Thanks all.

Filing the ring down it is!

I don’t think it’s manufacturing variance on the ring, as I bought 2 different sizes and both have the same issue.  Also, I checked my non-Raceface cranks that came off, and on the 3 other bikes I had available and all of them appear to have the same internal diameter for both middle and outer rings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Race Face cranks – odd internal diameter for middle rings?’ is closed to new replies.