Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Race Face Cinch and Hope 30mm BB
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My current RF BB is in need of replacement. Traditionally I would upgrade / replace with Hope parts where I can.

Looking at the CRC Q and A section on the part it states that RF do not recommend the Hope 30mm BB for use with their Cinch cranksets.

Do any of you lovely lot have any experience in using the Hope 30mm BB with their RF Cinch cranksets? If there are any issues, what are they?

vmgscot

Yes, used on my GF’s Yeti SB5. Only thing we had to do was add a thin 30mm spacer on the axle to take a up a little gap for the RF preload to engage. I used a copper 30mm sump washer from work.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yes I’m running hope 30mm bb (and have done for overa year!) on some next sl cranks, absolutely flawless

ive no idea why they wouldn’t recommend other than to make you buy the crap RF bb’s!

EDIT : not had to use anything like the above, worked straight from the off

fathomer

Me to, though I’ve got an extra BB spacer on the NDS to take up the gap that vmgscot mentions.

bigyan
    Free Member

Worked fine on every one I have seen and installed so far. Most manufacturers will advise you use their components with their components.

Shimming for preload is common.

tomhoward

Using one here, lots of spacers both sides as it’s on a fatbike, and needed a longer axle for crank clearance, but it works fine.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve had a very mixed experience with Hope BBs. Got through two sets of bearings very quickly after installing as I would a Shimano BB; then found out that Hope BBs require a lot less preload – literally stop as soon as you feel any resistance. Things seem to have improved since (last summer) but the bike I’ve been using all winter has a Shimano BB in it, so I can’t talk from recent/wetter experience.

I have friends who swear by them and once you’re aware of how easy they are to damage by over-torquing they seem to work well. However, a Shimano BB is cheaper than a set of Hope bearings – six of one and half a dozen. Pays your money etc. etc.

mahalo

Yep. Hope 30mm BB with RF turbine cinch crankset.

just added a spacer behind the non-driveside cup in addition to the one on the drive side. Perfection.

you cant really over-torque the cinch system as the preloader is tightened by hand only…

that preloader ring is shite tho tbf.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks All,

I guess the need for spacers may be determined by BB shell width? I shall keep an eye on the need for spacers.

I took it apart for the first time at the weekend to fit a new chainring. I didn’t adjust any pre-loads from what it was already subjected to. On reassembly I noticed that the BB felt and sounded grumbly and dry when spun.

@Pimpmaster,

I have used Hope BB’s before. I was surprised how little pre load they need compared to what Shimano recommend. I have used this same rationale when fitting new Shimano BB’s and they have proven to last longer that using Shimano’s recommended pre load.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks Mahalo, that sounds like a tidy solution.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Hope comment is actually in reference to the raceface systems that use a selection of washers and elastomers to supply the preload. As mentioned above, hope use very little preload. The older style actually ran better with a gnats bollock of slop. The newers ones with different coloured bearing seals either side are angular contact bearings which do need the slightest little bit of contact on them.

RicB

I’m amazed the Hope ones last so well, as the seals have no extra protection and are exposed to all the crud flying off the front wheel

PF41 with 30mm cranks is not one of the better Mtb developments!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I will normally pop the plastic seal off and wipe a witness of grease over the bearing seal for a little extra water protection.

dovebiker

Wheels Manufacturing BSA30 is on a par with the Hope plus comes with some decent additional seals

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hope themselves don’t recommend using their BB30 with the cinch system either but never heard negative feedback from users.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

BB ordered, plus Hope specific 30mm BB tool. Some good info above, thanks.

Another shiny Hope blue bit to add to the acid yellow Scout. Buying Hope does give me a nice warm patriotic glow, but not in a weird Brexity over the top way.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have used Hope BB’s before. I was surprised how little pre load they need compared to what Shimano recommend. I have used this same rationale when fitting new Shimano BB’s and they have proven to last longer that using Shimano’s recommended pre load.

Thanks. Makes sense. I’ve been a little less heavy-handed since (not that I was particularly heavy-handed beforehand…) with positive results too.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Having said that, I have only ever used Shimano cranks until this bike arrived with RF. I have never set up the pre load on this design before. It looks fiddly as hell compared to Shimano but I know there are tonnes out there so can’t be all that hard.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Race Face Cinch and Hope 30mm BB’ is closed to new replies.