Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rab Vital or Alpkit Arro
  • Premier Icon mark90
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a windproof jacket for trail riding and narrowed it down to these two. Both seem similar are are prices about 35 quid. The Arro is out of stock till end of December, but I can wait.

Has anyone any experience of either, or ideally both?

Breathability, durability, fit, etc?

Thanks

Premier Icon tomd1984
    Free Member

I’ve had an arro for a couple of years now, and bought it for riding.

Fit wise – it comes out as expected to my mind. I’m not skinny, but not portly either, broad shoulders and a large fits me fine with room to flex about on the bike just fine.

Breathability is good. I never get hot in it, and used it in the summer as a lightweight wind proof with no issues. It does let a lot of rain in once it’s wetted up, but that’s the trade off for the breathability and price. Not uncomfortable in the rain, you just better hope the pub has a fire when you get there 🙂

Durability – fine until I crashed at BPW and then it’s got an abraded patch on the shoulder. Not entirely worn through, more of a graze. It didn’t tear, but has made some small holes as part of the graze. Still fine for riding though.

Overall I’m happy with it, especially for the money. It’s much better at its job than my Alpkit Balance jacket which is about to get replaced.

No experience of anything Rab to compare against I’m afraid, but hope the above is useful.

Premier Icon FOG

I have an Arro which I bought on offer so was considerably cheaper than £35. I use it a lot  mainly because it packs so small. It is reasonably breathable and wind proof but the sizing is a bit weird. I am normally between L and XL but the Arro is M!

Premier Icon mark90
    Free Member

Thanks guys that’s really useful info.

I’m between S and M on sizing so probably need the small based on that.

Anyone have a view on the Rab Vital?

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a medium Arro, an early one, and it fits fine – I’m normally a medium and an Arro in that size just about leaves space for a lightweight fleece underneath, maybe a little loose over a baselayer compared to something from the likes of Arc’teryx.

That said, the sleeves are a little short for riding – average length arms here – and I’d prefer a chest pocket rather than a hip one. Overall I’d say it was ‘functional’ if that makes sense. The cut might have changed slightly, so who knows.

I think it probably comes down to fit tbh, can you try a Vital and see if it works because I suspect in terms of function, there’s probably not much in it. Windproof fabrics tend to breathe around the same level.

I prefer chest pockets to the hip-type thing the Arro has fwiw, also the Rab has a half-cord in the hem, which tends to leave the front of the jacket flatter and neater and pull the tail in differentially. I’d probably go for the Rab tbh, but depends a bit on fit. Rab’s medium fits pretty true to size ime.

Premier Icon mark90
    Free Member

Thanks

Well I think I have found somewhere local with the Rab vital in stock so will go take a look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rab Vital or Alpkit Arro’ is closed to new replies.