Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rab or The North Face down gilet?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So I ordered an Alpkit one and it doesn’t fit at all so is going back. I’m looking at the Rab Neutrino vest (black) or The North Face Nuptse vest (in a nice dark red). Which do you reckon? Or are both companies much of a muchness, but TNF is slightly more chav (not that I’m bothered about that) 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

gap sale.

aP
    Free Member

PHD instead, made in the UK not in China like the others.

LardLover
    Free Member

I’d go for the Rab, if only for the mentioned chav factor. I bought my North Face one about 10 years ago, it’s still going strong, although everyone wears one nowadays, common as muck now.

I’m thinking about getting a Rab Generator Vest. Not as bulky.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I looked at the Phd ones which are more expensive again but they have a bit of a shine to them so not sure. @ Cynic-Al was in Gap today and no down vests, shame I’m always up for a bargain 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rab.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Rab ones are a bit shonky on the quality control these days. I leak down everywhere i go

emsz
    Free Member

Rab if only because every mum and dad has TNF stuff LOL

chrisdb
    Free Member

Rab is far better quality than TNF nowadays. Down and fabric.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Really? That’s a shame. My Rab jacket is now into it’s 15th winter! Made in England, whereas I gather they’re now made elsewhere and praps not as good as they used to be.

Interestingly, they are still at an equivalent price. Hmm. So made using cheap labour, but still at Made in Britain prices?

cynic-al
    Free Member

blimey 20m for CFH to do his bit!

they had loads in my local op!

Worth Googling as there are lots of bargains around.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Emsz … that’s oh so true! I do like the colour of TNF, as a change from black .. which is why I went for Alpkit originally!

ebygomm
    Free Member

My other half has a factory seconds Rab Summit but made in England. I have a Rab Summit that was made after they made the switch, huge difference between them. His doesn’t leak at all. Mine leaks all the time. It’s toasty warm though 🙂

At any given time some of the seams will look like the above

c
    Free Member

Rab, def’ think I saw them in the sale somewhere as well. Let me think… or google 🙂

chrisdb
    Free Member

My other half has a factory seconds Rab Summit but made in England. I have a Rab Summit that was made after they made the switch, huge difference between them. His doesn’t leak at all. Mine leaks all the time. It’s toasty warm though

What do you mean it ‘it leaks’ down or water?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Leaks down, see pic now added above

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I saw a Rab one discounted on a t’interweb well still about £93 when included P&P could get TNF for £80. I have a Mountain harware down coat and that rarely leaks down. Don’t want leakage … 😉

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-neutrino-womens-gilet-p105468

This one…. looks like it may be the winner.

emsz
    Free Member

Munqe chick : the Loganberry one? Nice colour!!

Tricky choice. Personally I think I’d go for colour over name I think

c
    Free Member

Leakage is not so attractive… The patagonia one looks nice. Can’t see how warm it is in comparison to the Rab though. Do Haglofs do one? I like their stuff.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Neither. Paramo Torres gillet is warmer and stays warm when wet.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I looked at the Phd ones which are more expensive again but they have a bit of a shine to them so not sure.

I image that this is because they weren’t designed primarily for standing around in car parks and walking to pubs 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My Rab has helped keep me warm in -30ºC.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup I agree with the reason for shininess .. but hey if it doesn’t look that nice why wear it!? It’s all about fashion . cOME ON!!
    Emsz the loganberry one is actually quite pink, I was looking more at Bordeaux Red which is a deep wine red colour… not like it looks on pics on internet though!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

-30! Wow not intending on going anywhere that cold .. yet although UK will probably be close to that next year ….

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

None of the above – Penfield ‘Outback’

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Paramo Torres gillet is warmer and stays warm when wet.

with the added bonus that you get to look like a tramp every time you wear it.

woffle
    Free Member

how about a Finisterre Bise – currently 1/2 price in the sale so £42.50

allthepies
    Free Member

As per al above, Gap sale.

Picked up a down gilet (£19.99 reduced from £49.99) and a down jacket (£29.99 reduced from £79.99) yesterday. Lots left too (at Milton Keynes)

And those vietnamese kids can sew well despite the heat 🙂

0pt1cal
    Free Member

as above my experience is that Rab quality control is poor. I’ve had to return 3 of 4 items I’ve bought last year from Rab. TNF is tends to be bomb proof…but I also like Mountain Hardwear….saying that if you get a good Rab item that’s been put together right they’re great!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rab or The North Face down gilet?’ is closed to new replies.