Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rab MM and Lake district drinkwater and night time temps questions
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Doing the Rab mm at the end of the month and wondering about drinking water, i drank straight from streams during the LAMM but considering the location, south of Ulswater/ high street area do you think some purification is necesarry.

Additionaly , any ideas on nighttime temps, i am trying to justify a new sleeping bag.

Thanks

TomHill
    Free Member

Saunders was in that area this year, and I've done at least one KIMM/OMM round there. Always drink the water without purifying it (while using common sense) and never had any probs.

Temps can vary wildly this time of year. A few OMMs I've got away with a 1 season bag and all my clothes and been reasonably comfortable (or at least tired enough to not care enough about the cold). Other times I've been pretty damn chilly in a slightly warmer one. There never needs to be justification for new gear. You just need it.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Capt,

taking a weeks holiday in the area after so dont want to spend the time curled up in a ball!

My current sleeping back is 9c temp and was fine with a airic mat and looking at a phd minimus at 5c and ballon bed and leaving the primaloft jacket at home.

But its £230!

TomHill
    Free Member

Mine is probably around 9c rated… and use in conjunction with an OMM finch down jacket. Would love the PHD, but struggling to justify the cost as well!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Its a bugger aint it! I can get the VAT off though as the missus lives in Jersey so that should soften the blow a bit and its a whole 150grams lighter than my current one a 2006 TNF Scorpio!

ajf
    Free Member

Done the last 3 Rabs and it has always been hot. Fingers crossed for another good one for you. Not doing this one unfortunately.

I have got away with a rab top bag at 410g and a balloon bed. Think last year I took my bivi bag at 280grams and the sleeping bag and slept with my tent door open and me hanging out looking up at stars.

Never bothered with my down jacket (which was my prize for winning the Rab…had to get that in :wink:)

Done a Saunders out that way and the streams were fine. Just apply usual common sense and go fast flowing and above pastures.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+5 to -10 probably!! might even snow, I would also recommend a snorkel! It's been a bit freaky up here this year.

slugwash
    Free Member

I'm doing the OMM on Dartmoor at the end of October and did a sleeping bag test out on the Moor at the weekend to see if my 1 season Vango Venom 150 and a small thermal liner was up to the job. It was just about warm enough by dawn but considering the fact the it'll be colder in October I think I'll be taking a warmer bag for the event. I'm going to test my Tesco down bag on a Lake District bivi this weekend to see if that'll do the job as I don't have the cash to buy a high end, ultra lightweight MM bag.

Those balloon beds are ace, the only problem I had was when I rolled over on my side and the bed rolled with me leaving me with no cushioning to lie on. Probably not a problem on the event 'cos I won't be in a bivi bag but shoe-horned into a small tent.

Some info on compact water filtration options here…

http://www.theomm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1467.0

Right, I'm all packed and leaving Devon for Cumbria after I've downed my morning double espresso. We should get a ride in around teatime, motorway traffic conditions permitting 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

It all really depends where the overnight is going to be as i guess thats where you will be suing most water, for the Saunders it was in the Longsleddale valley with the only water source being a fairly large stream. At the overnight you can boil it for 3 minutes of course, if you have enough fuel and can be bothered that is.

I didnt end up doing the Saunders but am down for the RAB, i am just going to carry a pack of purifying tablets, at least i have the option then if i get desperate.

The sleeping bag thing is worrying me more than anything though, i just have a vango synthetic which is rated down to 7 Deg C, used it on top of Skiddaw a few weeks back and was OK so should be fine for the RAB….i hope…..

Kendal
    Free Member

I live in Kendal, (you may have guessed…) and run in Kentmere a fair amount. I'm just going to drink the water from the streams, never had a problem in that area. Unless it's unseasonably cold a light sleeping bag with all your clothes on if necessary should be fine. (I'm taking a home made top bag so rest assured that if you're cold the person spouting the advice will be colder!)

surfer
    Free Member

Maybe a bit late but @ slugwash.

What are your thoughts on the resilience of the balloon bed? I have a wee Airic which is OK but it would be nice to get the weight (and space) down a bit.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Slugwash, i would be interested to hear how you got on with your sleeping bag this weekend.

Surfer , i have gone from a wee airic to ballon bed and extenisive living room testing has shown it to be fairly robust ,i burst a few ballons setting it up but none once in the cover, which is pretty well made i might add. In terms of weight saving and price compared to a neo air its a winer.

Saying that i havent usd it in anger yet

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks Stonemonkey

For £20 its got to be worth a punt!

slugwash
    Free Member

What are your thoughts on the resilience of the balloon bed?

Mine was fine out in the ‘field’ used inside my bivi bag. However, when I first tested it indoors and simulated leaning out from my pretend tent to get my imaginary morning brew on the go the outermost balloon burst. Anyway, it was more comfortable than my Wee Aeric, and much smaller/lighter and I’ll be using it for the OMM.

Slugwash, i would be interested to hear how you got on with your sleeping bag this weekend

Not too well, the zip broke on the first night as I pulled the bag out from the stuff sack 🙁 Also, due to all our rides finishing quite late, lots of rainfall and the fact I didn’t take a tarp to the lakes I spent every night in the bunkhouse. The Tesco sleeping bag zip is fixable so I’ll probably still use it on the mountain marathon with a silk liner ‘cos my next warmest bag is too bulky for the event.

i drank straight from streams during the LAMM but considering the location, south of Ulswater/ high street area do you think some purification is necesarry.

I would generally be happy to drink from streams but after last weekend’s Lakeland visit I’m a little worried. The photo below was taken at a tarn (Small Water) towards the top of a mountain which fed a stream that then tumbled down the hillside looking all fresh and drinkable. This was not the only dead sheep we came across on that ride. 😯

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi Slugwash thanks for your update, new sleeping bag is out of the question due to lack of funds, see my other recent thread involving car/ skip interface.

Have boght some chlorine tablets as well but your comments will make me more likely to use them.

Hope you had a good trip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rab MM and Lake district drinkwater and night time temps questions’ is closed to new replies.