Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket v's Patagonia Nano Puff
  • theupsetter
    Free Member

Which one would you recommend…

Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket or a Patagonia Nano Puff ?

GregMay
    Free Member

I own a Nanopuff. And a Nannopuff gillet. And the previous two versions of both have been mine – since handed on to friends. Buy one, or two, or don’t so I can buy more.

Seriously. Go buy one.

theupsetter
    Free Member

so that’s a plus two from Greg

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

depends on your intended use I suppose. One’s down, the other Primaloft (I think)? one will be almost useless if it gets wet, the other won’t. one will pack down a bit smaller than the other. one will be a bit more of a pain to clean and need more care than the other. the rab looks nice, don’t know about the other, but I have a similar primaloft 1 hooded jacket I virtually live in most of the year. probably best off getting black (especially the down) so it doesn’t show the dirt and therefore need cleaning regularly. Mine (macpac) has a pocket which doubles as a stow sack, which is very useful.

theupsetter
    Free Member

Cheers will checkout Mac PAC

paule
    Free Member

I’ve got a nano Puff and it’s great. Nice and warm, OK when wet, packs small and looks alright as a day to day jacket too.

Never fancied down for something I carry as emergency gear (mostly on winter fell runs) as if I need it I might not be in a fit state to worry about keeping it dry.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wasn’t recommending it particularly, I don’t think you can buy them in this country. most of the main outdoor companys will do their 60gm(ish) primaloft version tho, ME Compressor, montane (often recommended on here), Rab, Haglofs, arcteryx, mammut etc etc They usually all do a lightweight and heavier weight versions.

tang
    Free Member

Nano puff hood here, brilliant jacket for fit and warmth. The only down side is the pockets; the zip eats the lining easily when doing up one handed. Patagonia are good when it comes to fixing zips under warranty.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I wasn’t recommending it particularly, I don’t think you can buy them in this country.

I’d think you should be able to, my mate is the European Sales Manager and he lives in Sheffield, I’d be shocked if he hadn’t got any UK outlets.

GregMay
    Free Member

Have you bought one yet?

theupsetter
    Free Member

not yet

theupsetter
    Free Member

almost bought a Rab on here yesterday but then the seller sold it to someone else !!!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I believe this years Microlight uses hydrodown so it should have the same warmth / packability as previous years but with the added bonus of not becoming useless once wet.

on that basis i’d recommend the Rab

GregMay
    Free Member

How about now?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rab Microlight with hydrophobic down. It’s one of those things I look forward to wearing in the winter :-). It’s plenty warm & comfortable, but still lightweight. I don’t find Rab jackets necessarily has the best cut…Pattagucci stuff I’ve tried on (and I own a Micro vest) seem to look better, and my wife’s down jacket looks ace (on her…maybe I’m biased), but other than that I reckon the Microlight is lovely. Mine’s only seen light rain, but it didn’t crumple like the wicked witch of the west (east?) or anything.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wasn’t recommending it particularly, I don’t think you can buy them in this country.

I’d think you should be able to, my mate is the European Sales Manager and he lives in Sheffield, I’d be shocked if he hadn’t got any UK outlets.

I think they’ve been trading rucksacks, tents and baby carriers in the Uk for about 20 years, but I’ve hardly ever seen any clothing on the racks in shops. one season about 15 years ago they had some down jackets in a shop like Needlesports and I once saw some fleeces in cotswolds or similar, but that’s it.
    Ask him? I’d be interested to know why they’ve never really pushed the clothing range.

theupsetter
    Free Member

Jesus Greg – I’m working on it.

theupsetter
    Free Member

greg – got a Nano Puff Jacket … very nice

matt_outandabout

Patagonia Micropuff here, older version, great bit of kit, and worn to bits. BUT, I think it and the new micro puff are still cut from the square box pattern they used in 1998.

tang
    Free Member

I have just bought a arcteryx atom lt hood for £95 from rock and run in medium. You can’t have too many jackets…but I might flog the patagonia.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Bought a Rab Microlight jacket last winter and virtually lived in it for the season. Hydrophobic down works great in light snow, keeping the loft and warmth. Great as a midlayer under a shell on cold days or I’ve worn it with a windstopper fleece underneath when dog walking in the snow. Can’t speak for the Patagonia jacket but I’d buy another microlight like a shot.

GregMay
    Free Member

greg – got a Nano Puff Jacket … very nice

Hurrah! Now wear it all the time, get it dirty, get some ductape on the rips and don’t take care of it. They are designed to take abuse 🙂

theupsetter
    Free Member

the kids will have it messed up in no time – great bit of kit 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket v's Patagonia Nano Puff’ is closed to new replies.