R4 Women's Hour.
After the first ten years or so of listening you learn to zone out during the dross and tune into the interesting bits (which is true of Radio 4 in general).
I guess if you look at your life hard enough anyone can find a reason why they are a victim. Unfortunately the programme tends to drown serious issues in among minor irritations.Posted 5 months ago
I usually listen in when I’m at home of a morning, but more often than not there seems to be at least one item that must be pastiche/satire – invariably covering menstruation and/or the menopause, and callers moaning about their husbands never doing any washing up or ironing.Posted 5 months ago
Well I’ve just been listening to an interesting interview with a female playwright who’s written a play about Boudicca. A notable female leader responsible for making lots of Roman men crap their pants. If they had any, instead of the cute little skirts they used to wear.Posted 5 months agojimjamMember
The whole concept of “Women’s Hour” seems like a concept cooked up by white middle class men in order to perpetuate gender stereotypes and subjugate women while they function as slaves to the patriarchy blind to the walls of their own prisons.
What is a woman if not a man born without a penis, brainwashed into believing they are female (as if that’s a thing) suppressing their biological potential to become as big and strong as men, tricked by hormones in water and plastics into growing “sexual” appendages and ultimately being “consensually” violated and impregnated by men to restart the whole cycle over again. It’s racism! 👿 👿Posted 5 months ago
Excellent – wish I wasn’t in the office today and could listen in.
I should try and justify my comment above. If anyone of any gender wanted to comment on (for example) how Robert Crampton’s “Beta Male” column in the Times is always the same old tired rehash of male inadequacy and emotional illiteracy issues, that would be fine by me. I wouldn’t choose to interpret their comments as meaning they are criticising men’s right to talk about gender-specific issues on any platform.
I just think Women’s Hour tends (in my unqualified opinion), often, to be stuck in a previous decade. Much like R4’s Food Programme. I really enjoyed their recent programmes on the food culture of Georgia, but for the most part, it’s like some awful 90s magazine show that completely fails to acknowledge all the interesting things that have happened in journalism and the food and drink sector in the past few decades.Posted 5 months agokelvinSubscriber
Women’s Hour is of interest to everyone 80% of the time, and women only the other 20% of the time. Given the remit and name of the programme, as a man, I see no reason at all to complain about the 20%. In fact, I find it odd that anyone would. Still, that “Men & Motors” TV channel was utter shite… and “Women’s Own” never seems to have anything at all of value in it for me, or I expect most men… so gender specific titles can result in something worth ignoring.Posted 5 months agosomewhatslightlydazedMember
Well I’ve just been listening to an interesting interview with a female playwright who’s written a play about Boudicca
Was it about the difficulties of having to balance being an (ultimately) un-successful tribal war leader and heroine of the late Victorian empire with the demands of being a wife, mother and home maker?Posted 5 months ago
Where is this exclusively male focused content you speak of?
Literally all the other content of R4 discussing news, current affairs, politics, science, art, philosophy, comedy etc that women can’t possibly understand?
That’s why they get their own hour to discuss kittens and knitting. No?Posted 5 months agobikebouyMember
I Like It, a lot.
R4 Women’s Hour is a really great programme, plenty of natter, subjects tailored to Women for Women and commentary thats always a pleasure to listen to. One of my favourite programmes on the Radio TBH.
If the programmes subject matter doesn’t light your Male Rocket Fuse then turn over to R6 or R5x or some such other suitable output.
But I can’t see why it should be bashed, certainly not with the Male Stick.
I think there ought to be more programmes like it for Women, more Womens specific output, more Religious programming and more programmes tailored to Children too..
BBC Radio IMO is too Male orientated.Posted 5 months ago
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.