Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Quitting the RAC, then joining the RAC
  • SaxonRider

My annual membership in the RAC currently costs me more than £25 per month, and I just figured out that if I quit and re-join as a new member, it would only be £15.

Anyone done this? Does RAC penalise you for it somehow?

bearnecessities

Typo, Shirley? £25 a month?!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Phone them. As with mobiles, broadband and various insurances when you phone them up, whine and stomp your feet they give you the better price. Until next year when you have to do it again. Otherwise just switch to the AA or some other.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Why not use auto aid?

butcher

Sounds steep that. I think mine’s £16, but that;s with full European cover and whatnot. I seem to remember you could get basic packages a lot cheaper at the time.

sweepy
    Free Member

AA are swines for this, I sacked them and get RAC membership using clubcard vouchers and its nowhere near 25 a month

SaxonRider

Who are you with, butcher?

That’s very good for European coverage!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

The AA are awful for trying to rip off existing customers.
    My AA renewal has just come in at £233 😯 with loyalty discount

Same cover with green flag £130

brooess
    Free Member

RAC are cool with this IME. They know full well they’re taking advantage of apathy from existing customer – it helps pay for the cheaper acquisition deals.

I was quoted £140 renewal, checked out new customer deals through Quidco and spotted it would drop down to £45, rang them and asked if they could match it and they did quite happily…

alanl
    Free Member

+1 for AutoAid.

Marin
    Free Member

Left RAC. Nationwide flex plus account. £10 a month get breakdown imcluding European cover for trips of 60 days I think

andyg1966

I think I’m paying about £28/year for UK breakdown and recovery.

Do compare the market for breakdown cover …

munkyboy
    Free Member

Just phone them. The AA RAC always price match the online deals. They even fake the ‘I must discuss this with my line manager’ line. Con artists ripping off loyal customers the lot if them.

allfankledup

Auto aid wouldn’t cover my vw t5 van so had to ditch them. Green flag seemed to be the next most cost effective option

butcher

Who are you with, butcher?

That’s very good for European coverage!

RAC…

It was about 4 or 5 years ago I signed up for it. And to be perfectly honest, I can’t remember exactly what is in the package, though I was pretty sure it was European cover, home call outs, cover in other peoples cars, etc (until you had me doubting myself…I’m gonna have to check it now). I seem to remember the basic packages at the time were about £45 a year.

Car is 16 year old too.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I ring up every year and ask for it cheaper, once you have done it a few years it’s just I want it the same as last year. I pay £12 a month for full cover for two people. It’s the same with Sky, insurance and mobile phone contracts. If you can’t tell I’m northern!

skids
    Free Member

i switch between the RAC and AA

sadexpunk

Auto aid wouldn’t cover my vw t5 van so had to ditch them.

i got the impression it was the person covered with auto-aid rather than the vehicle? i know when i rang them to add my wifes car to the policy (she’d just passed her test and we’d bought a second car), they said she was already covered on mine.
    “yes but dont you need to know about the car she’s just bought?”
    “no, its her thats covered, nothings changed”

so in effect, who’s to say she didnt buy a vw t5 van?

hope they havent told me wrong and shes not covered…..

spooky_b329

I nearly went with Green Flag but going to Europe later this year, and a Europe top up policy was the difference so begrudgingly stayed with the AA.

robfury
    Free Member

Try GEM Assist. Much cheaper and great service. They also don’t bump up the premium http://www.motoringassist.com

totalshell

i ve been with the aa for 20 years and yes it does go up BUT.. so do the benifits i have unlimited recovery from anywhere for any reason. breakdown/theft/accident you simply cannot buy that and i have a collection of old cars and motorcycles so use the recovery at least 3 times a year and homestart a similar number of times

riddoch

The benefit of RAC and AA is that you are generally getting their there dedicated people, the insurance ones are fine but you just get whatever breakdown service is local to you. I once spent 2 hours on the side of the M40 as all the local recovery trucks were at the accident that caused the jam that meant I had left my headlights on but engine off.

Give them a chance to match the price, then just jump over to a competitor and get the cash back offer.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Just ask them to prove match or swap between the two each year using quidco

butcher

Checked my policy today and it’s not European cover I have. T’is the middle policy I think, with onwards travel and suchlike. £14 a month.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

people still using AA and RAC 8O..

there are plenty cheaper out there with better/equal coverage just shop around.

PePPeR

Best thing about my RAC cover is it covers myself and Mrs P and for any vehicle we’re in at the time!

We use need the 5 metres plus of the RAC motorhome cover so it’s worth the expense.

tetchypete
    Free Member

I swap between AA and RAC every year. Do it via Quidco and breakdown and recovery costs about 40 quid a year.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I work for one of the large breakdown organisations, ping me an email…

zanelad
    Free Member

I left the RAC. I could never get through to them on the phone in under 20 minutes. Pissed me off big time.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Autonational £71 a year, why pay more 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Quitting the RAC, then joining the RAC’ is closed to new replies.