• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Keva.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Quitting smoking side effects…
  • Premier Icon yoshimi

I’ve managed to cut out all forms of smoking, cigs, vaping, etc and been ‘clean’ since Jan 2nd

Lockdown and working from home has made it particularly tough but I have managed to stick to it, which in all honesty, I didn’t think I would.

But side effects…

Slightly agitated, restless feeling along with a bit of insomnia which I was expecting – but more so….

Weird as hell dreams and lots of them every night
    Strange metallic taste in my mouth
    Teeth don’t feel right
    Clenching my jaw a lot
    Constant dull headache
    Farting – frequent and evil!!

Anyone fancy law want to share side effects / experiences?

Premier Icon sweepy
    Free Member

I phoned up the Mrs worried cos my tongue had ‘gone a funny colour’ (pink)
    and I was convinced all my food was off because I could taste it.
    That was cigs, giving up the ‘etc’ gives me vivid dreams too.

Premier Icon richardkennerley

I ended up getting an asthma check at the doctor’s when I gave up. For weeks I felt like I couldn’t breathe properly and like I need to dislodge something to clear my lungs. Which is probably exactly what was happening.

Premier Icon timbog160

If you’ve got this far stick with it, it will be well worth it. Had the coughing and spluttering thing, and the teeth clenching for a while. Main side effect for me was snacking, and lots of it! No point trying to fight it, just went with it for a while, more normal service now resumed…

Remember that whatever else you do in life you’ve already done the best thing you’ll ever do for your health! 👍

Premier Icon sockpuppet

Good on you – remember the other ‘side-effects’ – being richer*, smelling better and living longer.

*unless it all gets blown on snacks.

Premier Icon csb

Gave up 14 years ago. Still crave a rollup. Most memorable was the stuff I coughed up. Grim.

Premier Icon Hohum
    Free Member

Constipation – that could be tied in with your farting.

Your sense of taste and smell comes back, hooray! However, you may not end up liking how some strong tasting food really tastes like.

Good luck with giving up.

Premier Icon binners

I remember coughing my lungs up in the morning for about 2 weeks after I packed in

Watch for starting piling the pounds on.

I’ve put on a load of weight since I packed in. I replaced the B&H with pies and crisps. And I wasn’t slacking in my appetite for those to begin with.

There’s quite a bit more of me but I feel miles better. Being a fat bastard is infinitely preferable to having cancer.

Stick with it

Premier Icon butcher

Sense of smell was the most striking thing for me. It was so surreal at the time, actually waking up to smells I’d never experienced since a child, and for a long time I wasn’t sure if I liked coffee any more.

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

How long the **** day is. No breaks, no let up, no excuse to leave the pub when stuck in a dep discussion with Binners so you can return for light hearted chat again.

Same reason I quit going dry. Life sober and clean is so damned relentless

Premier Icon Hohum
    Free Member

The weight gain should be a temporary thing and will reverse once your body/mind gets used to being an ex-smoker.

I remember reading an article around the time I stopped (and put some weight on) and it said that the effects of smoking on the body are similar to being 3 or 4 stone heavier.

So, as long as you don’t put that much on then you will be okay.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

Teeth don’t feel right
    Clenching my jaw a lot
    Constant dull headache

Probably connected, no?

Weird as hell dreams and lots of them every night

Not uncommon, until the brain chemistry normalises.

Slightly agitated, restless feeling along with a bit of insomnia which I was expecting – but more so…

Drink tea or coffee? Nicotine interferes with the body processing caffeine. Take away the nicotine and all of a sudden you are getting twice the caffeine you were. Which could also explain the jaw, teeth and headache.

Premier Icon Cougar

How long the **** day is. No breaks, no let up,

I’ve never really understood this.

Sure, smoking is a handy excuse to go stand outside for five minutes, but why do you need an excuse? If you want to go stand outside for five minutes then go stand outside for five minutes, you don’t need cigarettes (or coffee, or other people’s company, or to get away from Binners) to do that. Go take a not-smoking break, have a walk around the block.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

Go take a not-smoking break, have a walk around the block.

This. Also, you moan about how long the day is*? Bollocks! Much more time to do fun stuff rather than standing there inhaling all sorts of toxicity, wasting the day away.

Side effects suck for sure but the long term benefits more than outweigh them.

*I realise your comments may have been tongue in cheek. 😉

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

standing there inhaling all sorts of toxicity, wasting the day away.

To me the ciggie was a pleasant relaxation. I rarely smoked before 7pm and when I did it was a time for quiet reflexion. Yes, I could have done the same with a quick walk around the garden, which I also did sometimes, but I actually enjoyed the experience of smoking.

The days, especially evenings, still seem to drag on for a few hours too long. Even more so since knackering the ankle so by the end of the day sitting is about as vigorous an exercise as I can manage with my clothes on.

Premier Icon yoshimi

I ended up getting an asthma check at the doctor’s when I gave up

No Coughing stuff up but my breathing has been a bit funny – bit like when you’re riding / running on a cold day, that sort of feeling on the chest – comes and goes

Constipation – that could be tied in with your farting.

Yeah, possibly, I seem to be out of my regular routine – still – its bad 🙁

Drink tea or coffee? Nicotine interferes with the body processing caffeine. Take away the nicotine and all of a sudden you are getting twice the caffeine you were. Which could also explain the jaw, teeth and headache.

I do drink a lot of black coffee – plus working from home means I’m on the bean to cup rather than instant

I wasn’t sure if I liked coffee any more.

Dear god no!

How long the **** day is.

I agree with this – not so much just the time hanging around but the whole process/ritual of it – psychologically as well – the ‘work’ day does feel longer, but tied in to working from home as well I reckon

With regards to putting on weight – I’ve stopped snacking as much, stopped the usual 4 cans every night and been Zwifting….I’m not shifting the Xmas lbs like I thought I would 🙁

Premier Icon yoshimi

To me the ciggie was a pleasant relaxation. I rarely smoked before 7pm and when I did it was a time for quiet reflexion. Yes, I could have done the same with a quick walk around the garden, which I also did sometimes, but I actually enjoyed the experience of smoking.

100% agree apart from the waiting until 7pm bit

Premier Icon ready
    Free Member

Now coming up for 9 years since I last smoked anything. Replaced weed and nicotine with Stella and Cream Eggs, and possibly still struggling to lose the initial weight gain…
    So much happier and healthier though. I would say richer, but a biking addiction is probably just as costly!

Premier Icon binners

I would say richer, but a biking addiction is probably just as costly!

I made the link explicit. When I packed in smoking, I put all the money that I would have spent on fags into a separate account. In what was a scarily small period of time it paid for this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FyLQip]Trigger 2[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

Miles better than B&H, I’m sure you’ll agree 🙂

Premier Icon nickc

I had weird “having a cigarette” dreams that were scarily realistic, so much so that while still in that sleeping/awake moment as the alarm goes off thinking that I’d taken up smoking again…only to realise moments later that it was a dream and I had quit…Still get them occasionally and I’m 20 years given up

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Coughing up crap, strange dreams and getting very angry for no apparent reason are what I remember. Stick with it OP 👍🏼

Premier Icon Cougar

the ‘work’ day does feel longer

It will do, if you were a regular smoker then you were likely working an hour a day less than everyone else.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Free Member

IME you won’t remember having any 20 years on and you’ll look back on it not being that hard really

Good luck!

Premier Icon yoshimi

It will do, if you were a regular smoker then you were likely working an hour a day less than everyone else.

Nah – non-smokers tend to chunner about smokers for a similar amount of time that smokers smoke

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

I do drink a lot of black coffee – plus working from home means I’m on the bean to cup rather than instant

Try mixing in decaff beans – about half and half. That compensates for what the nicotine used to block. Then you can gradually build back up to full strength, if you want to.

Premier Icon alpin

Lockdown and working from home has made it particularly tough

I find the opposite… At home, on holiday and when chilling I never fancy a fag. Go to work, the first thing I do is make a coffee and roll a fag. I can go weeks without one, yet once I’m in the workshop I get the craving. Once I leave work I don’t think about having a fag.

I didn’t smoke any weed for nigh on two years (problems with the Polizei). My red wine consumption increased from a glass a night to a bottle or more.

I was smoking so much that I was a high functioning stoner. Never got the munchies. Since not smoking so much I tend to snack more in the evenings and now suffer more from the munchies when I have an occasional smoke.

I’ve got into making hash butter over the last few months. Easy to do. Different kind of high.

The dreams when you give up the green are fantastic, but that soon wears off. Enough reason to start up again and then quit.

+1 WCA

Premier Icon nwmlarge

I was the same as most, replaced smoking with eating, got drunk in 1/4 of the time as I wasn’t smoking in the pub at the time or going out for a smoke. I have kept my foot in the door here and there on nights out or stag doos

Premier Icon lowey

Firstly, Well done mate. Best thing you will ever do.

I had the vivid dreams, lasted about a month. I get also those if I knock the booze on the head for a while too. Put weight on, initially managed to shift it though with getting out plenty.

I think overall I really started to feel the benefits after a couple of months. I put it down to it taking that long for the body to start to work properly again.

Premier Icon TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The caffeine thing is real. And would explain a load of what you’re experiencing.

Premier Icon Keva
    Free Member

I only smoke three or four rollies a day and gave up for a couple of months about two years ago. I didn’t get any of the side affects mentioned, no desire to eat crap food or any munchies, I have vivid dreams anyway so that didn’t increase at all, no headaches or anything. I was fine for about two or three weeks with virtually no cravings at all, then I just became depressed. I do remember feeling a bit ‘cleaner’ and my breathing was certainly easier whilst exercising, but not enough to make me stick with it. It’s enough work fending off depression anyway, so I thought for the sake of a few rollies a day I can’t be arsed. I might have another bash at some point but not just yet. Living on my own and pretty much working on my own (except 5 other people in an office space designed for a couple of hundred and the odd skype call) during lockdown is isolating enough, I don’t need to make things any more difficult for myself at the moment. I can’t remember the last time I went to a yoga class, or to one of the local pubs to meet friends and have a few beers.
    I find smoking is addiction by association. I only smoke in the evenings at home after dinner, never during the day. If I go out for a meal, or over to friends or my mums, which obviously hasn’t happened recently, I don’t feel like smoking at all. It’s only in my own company after eating my own cooked food!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.