Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quite boring, I need to light a porch?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Evening all, I have just had a storm porch built (yes it is just a roof protruding out a bit with a wall each end) & I want to light it. I would like to use some kind of sensor to keep it on when it gets dark, but I would also like it not to cost to much to run as I’m tight.
    The wife is quite keen on down lighters but I think they could look a little tacky, so firstly what is the consensus on this?

My other question relates to the beam & cost efficiency of the bulbs if I go down this route. I would like it to fill the space with light rahter than look like a spot light, & for it to be a warm light, nothing brash or harsh, so what bulbs would I need & do they do LED (I’m assuming they are the most efficient?) bulbs in soft white colours?

So as always as I trust you lot I’m asking on here, can anyone provide links for the kind of hardware I would need for this little project?

Many thanks in anticipation

Cheers.

allthepies
    Free Member

I fitted one of these at my Mum’s house a couple of yrs ago.

http://www.hunters-wholesalers.co.uk/steinel-650315-ceiling-outdoor-sensor-light-white-p-48988.html?cPath=63_365_1059

Quality bit of kit and works well. I think it’s got a mode where the light comes on at dusk. I put a halogen bulb in it (fairly low power) and the same bulb is still working (the light has soft-start so is bulb friendly 🙂 )

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why would you light it all the time it’s dark ? Why not a pir sensor so it lights when you need it ?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

TR, good question, I would ask the wife, but I know the answer will be “because it looks pretty”

Edit, actually thinking about it having it on between the hours of say midnight & 6am would be a waste, is there some sort of cheap controller you can get to regulate the hours it’s on without having one of the mechanical clock type boxes?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, so I will be sort of answering my own question, but say I bought one of THESE, would I be able to use it with 2 LED down lighters?
    It says 40w min, 400 max load, I have no idea how much load there is with LED.

Cheers.

andyl
    Free Member

LEDs you are looking at about 5W each max.#

Says not suitable for LED here: http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/products.php?cat=31&nav=4

but wondering if that is means low voltage led or mains? Might be worth calling them

trail_rat
    Free Member

Naw 40watt min on your timer- will want 8 leds for that timer.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank you both, any recommendations before I drive myself nuts?

phiiiiil

I’ve always wondered why timer switches like that even have a minimum wattage; aren’t they just a switch, so as long as you don’t overpower it it should just work with whatever load you put on it?

I must confess we have a few lights on PIRs and appliances on timers and I’ve never looked at the ratings…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

At least I’m not the only one, I thought it was just a timed on/off switch for 240v 😳

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd.

Cheers.

kayak23

trail_rat – Member

Why would you light it all the time it’s dark ? Why not a pir sensor so it lights when you need it ?

Better still headtorches for all the family…
    😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well I is well proud I managed to DIY it, just in case anyone searches for the same thing then I used a mechanical timer (to keep TR happy(ish)) into a photocell sensor & then into the 2 LED downlighters.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha good effort , which photocell did you use , im having issues finding one that doesnt let current leak to the leds,

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

You lost me at current leak, but it was a “knightsbridge” one.
    Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok thanks will look into them.

Lots of pre led photocells even in offstate let a small ammout of current through – particularly cheap ones found in all in one light units not enough to light a filament bulb but enough to cause an led to light dimly or even flash depending on the point of leak.

So i have two expensive g9 bulbs i cant use in my porch lamps. – ill wire in an external photocell one day 🙂 ill have a look at your knightsbridge one – do you have a rough price as im sure they do a wide range of em.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The one I used was £9.50 & I haven’t seen the bulbs flashing yet, but it has only been a few hours…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quite boring, I need to light a porch?’ is closed to new replies.