Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Quiet road/gravel route from Stirling area to Perth
  • Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Travelling up m74 in A couple of weeks then across to Perth, hoping to ride the last bit, I’d guess I’ll have 3 hours tops as it will be evening, so probably look to start around Stirling area but happy to start prior to that. Any suggestions on a route gratefully received.

Thanks

Premier Icon yetidave
    Free Member

Stirling to Dollar, to Pool of Muckhart then over to Dunning then to Perth, otherwise you could go Sherifmuir to Gleneagles and then to Perth? Ive done some of both of these routes, but not all, mostly back roads or cycle paths.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

From Stirling you can follow cycle paths to Bridge of Allan (tarmac).

From Bridge of Allan you have the choice of three different climbs up onto Sherrifmuir Road, ranging from slightly steep to very steep!

Edit: OR take the Carse Loop from Bridge of Allan which initially heads in the wrong direction but is a lovely loop and can be made to double back into Dunblane via a short section of gravel.

Alternatively take Old Glen Road (closed to traffic but passable on a road bike) and drop back down into Dunblane and seek out Auchenlay road which is a very nice wee singletrack road that leads to Kinbuck and then Braco.

From Braco you can follow the Gleneagles Road to Auchterarder, down through the high street then a right on Abbey Road which takes you over the A9 and on the road to Dunning. From Dunning the ‘high’ road to Forteviot has had some new tar laid and is a nice fast time trial back to a railway crossing and crossing the river again before a final lumpy singletrack road section into Perth. I’ve never navigated the city by bike though so you’re on your own at this point!

https://www.strava.com/routes/2961205318350277336

Premier Icon george2490

Rob Roy way.
    Can start from callander, about 90km off road and pretty easy going.
    Details easy to find online.

Premier Icon stevious

I think you can take some NCN from Stirling to Tilicoultry, then there’s an old railway path to Dollar. From there you can take the B934 over the Dunning Glen climb into Dunning and onto Perth.

Alternatively you could go up Sherrifmuir and down to Blackford then weavve your way on the roads between the A9 and the A85.

It’s hard to pick an optimal route as it’s all pretty good.

Am pretty sure the brief was 3 hours of road or gravel from Stirling though, 30km/h along the Rob Roy Way would be impressive! 😉

OP – there are lots of nice wee gravel sections dotted about between Braco and Perth but a bit messy to plot on Strava. When are you travelling? I’m gainfully unemployed for a month, wouldn’t mind offering my services as guide if dates aligned.

Premier Icon stevious

Rob Roy way.

You’d have to ride really fast to get this done in 3 hours.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Alternatively take Old Glen Road (closed to traffic but passable on a road bike) and drop back down into Dunblane and seek out Auchenlay road which is a very nice wee singletrack road that leads to Kinbuck and then Braco.

My daily commute – wave at my house as you go past.

IMO, I would go up Old Glen Road then kick up again over Sherrifmuir / Atlantic Wall area and descend to Blackford, short gravel and stay east of A9 all the way to Dunning.

Mrs_oab and I are going to do this later this summer, once she is feeling better.

See: https://www.komoot.com/tour/771498693?ref=wtd

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin

I’d do what Matt (OAB) says up there.

You can also do NCN from Stirling to Tillicoultry to Dollar and Dunning Glen but I think Matt’s route would be how I’d do it.
    (I used to run CTC tours going to Perth via Dunning Glen, and we’d return a week later via the Glen Rd route….)

DO NOT RIDE ON THE A9 !!

descend to Blackford, short gravel and stay east of A9 all the way to Dunning.

I wasn’t recommending this route because I hold a tenuous KOM on one section by dint of very few other people having ridden it, just promise you won’t try very hard OP, and put your brakes on if there’s a tailwind 😂

The section from Blackford to the Glendevon road via Bardrill Road has recently been resurfaced along some of its length, is lovely. Then you hit pinch flat alley which is almost but not quite gravel. I’ll still ride it on my good road bike but there’s a section that requires some tip-toeing around on a loose surface…

Mrs_oab and I are going to do this later this summer, once she is feeling better.

Might I suggest the ‘upper’ road from Dunning to the Water of May, past Garvock? (no road number that I know). It has also had a lot of surfacing works done on it and is very nice. You then rejoin your route via Henhill Rd

Premier Icon stevious

Actually, ignore my vague suggestions and listen to @matt_outandabout and @13thfloormonk. They are both men of great wisdom.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2961236682149981496

Some of the nicer local gravel stuff, albeit one short section of vague singletrack and a crossing of the A9 (with central reservation, not too scary).

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk Friday 27th, I’d guestimates leaving Stirling area 6.30-7 pm

@karnali

Will put it in the diary. Friday evenings on the bike = not on the booze and crisps, win! 😎

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Might I suggest the ‘upper’ road from Dunning to the Water of May, past Garvock? (no road number that I know). It has also had a lot of surfacing works done on it and is very nice. You then rejoin your route via Henhill Rd

Thank you, noted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.