Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Quiet Rear Hubs ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

I dont think I can stand my Hope Evo much longer, its too noisy.

Needs to be 135x10mm bolt thru compatible and similar cost. What options are there for a quiet hub- cant afford new wheeslet such as Mavic. I know Shimano are quiet but they are QR or 142 only.

messiah
    Free Member

Whip your Hope freehub body off and remove some of the claggy grease… then put some oil in it. Much quieter and it will freewheel better as well.
    Will need to be redone when it gets noisier in about 6 months… I’ve been doing this for years with no problems 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The noise is the sound of it working properly.

It’s also telling you to pedal more.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve tried grease and oil, doesnt last more than a week then its back to the Hope GRRRRRRRR for me.

kayak23

Superstar. Great hubs and pretty quiet.
    Want to swap? I prefer some noise… 😉

cheburashka
    Free Member

DT 240? Mine are a breath of fresh air when I ride the bike with those on compared to the one with my Hope Pro 3s.

thepurist

American Classic? More of a gentle purr than a CLICK CLICK CLICK

scruff
    Free Member

Heard many stories about DT being great or overated.
    Those AC ones look decent.

deus

Stealth hubs.

Or DT Swiss, i like both my 440’s they’ve been excellent

nedrapier

4 months on dt240 rear here, not as quiet as shimano, but nicely subdued compared to Hopes. Noise put me off the Hopes.

Can’t comment on longevity or whether they’re overhyped or not, but so far they’re doing what a hub does with no fuss at all.

mboy
    Free Member

Another DT user here, and have been for years. Love them, wouldn’t change them for anything.

They do get louder as they go on though, key to keeping them quiet is a decent degrease every so often. 2 minute job too as the freehub just pulls off with no tools.

They’re not the quietest hubs, but if a hope is about a 7/10 (there are louder hubs!), a silent clutch is 0/10, a normal shimano would be about a 2/10 and a DT about a 3/10 on the volume scale.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Apologies for slight hijack….My Hope Pro II Evo rear hub has recently gone significantly quieter….hadn’t noticed until out with a hope hubbed friend at the weekend and heard the contrast….I’m assuming this is not a good thing? Do the hope Pro II bearing service guides out there apply for the EVO? Thanks in advance for any advice….

B_Leach
    Free Member

Superstar. Great hubs and pretty quiet.

You’ve not used the Superleggera hubs then… slightly quieter than Hope, but significantly more “Buzz” than “Click”

It’s like you’re towing a shitload of angry bees.

scruff
    Free Member

kiwifiz- broken spring/s probably.

Northwind

Dead easy to whip the freehub body off and check for broken springs/replace broken ones, luckily

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Great…thanks scruff & Northwind.

postierich
    Free Member

I find ck ones to be quieter and classier 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Loads of grease on the pawls. Made my CB hub too quiet so I thinned it out. I like a little buzz on those wheels, just not as much as a Hope though 😛

Or, get a generic Formula hub. Got Formula ‘something’ on the old Alex Rim wheels that used to be on my old GT and now is on my stealth C456. Totally silent. Though maybe it wasn’t originally 😀

Best of both worlds. Buzzing blinging full sus and the stealth hard tail for cheeky trails.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano did a roller clutch hub many years ago, totally silent, but a bit on the heavy side.

philtricklebank

Shimano did a roller clutch hub many years ago, totally silent, but a bit on the heavy side.

Still do, it’s called the Alfine 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Hmmm…

Across their full range of hubs hope have reduced the power of the pawl springs to improve rolling resistance. Some may bemoan the quieter click but most will no doubt be quite happy with this change, especially if the wheels are faster rolling as a result.

From-
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Final-Part1-Eurobike-2012.html

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Quiet Rear Hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.