• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Quiet afternoon, got talking about war films/miniseries. Favourite scenes?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Band of Brothers, the opening of the Carentan episode. I can watch it over and over. Very scary with surround sound turned up to max!

Das Boot – the running through the sub.

On a lighter note: Kelly’s Heroes, too many great scenes to list.

loddrik
    Free Member

Full Metal Jacket drill training. Hands down the best.

Inglorious Basterds bar scene, brilliant! As is the opening interrogation scene.

sandwicheater

The beech landings in ‘saving private Ryan’, just makes my jaw drop.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ice Cold in Alex

Cranking Katy up the dune.

DezB
    Free Member

Southern Comfort – so many great scenes. The village scene with the gutted pig and the freaky cajun music is one of the most tense scenes evah! 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The Cruel Sea has a scene were the captain has to decide between launching mortars/depth charges on a sub or stopping for survivors.

jools182
    Free Member

Band of Brothers Bastogne episode, the spooky one in the forest

Max Manus – sinking the ship scene

willard

Village attack scene in Apocalypse Now.

Still love it after all these years.

rocketman
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PmzdINGZk[/video]

and all the parodies 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

“Strange… I seem to remember… that the cathedral was on the *other* side of the square.”

Where Eagles Dare

johndoh
    Free Member

Run Silent Run Deep, the deathly quiet listening out for the enemy boat/mines etc.

I need to see that again.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Generation War.

The scene where Charlotte (Charly) finally decides that the only way to ensure her first sexual experience before she might be killed is to seduce the hospital surgeon. She walks into the room. He turns around, sitting at his desk. The look on her face… 😯

bombjack
    Free Member

Gallipoli – The final scene is just heart wrenching.

fergal
    Free Member

The Deer Hunter, when they get back to the bar after the hunt and they start singing, cut to horrific combat scenes in nam – chilling.

atlaz
    Free Member

Generation War.

I just finished watching this. Bits of it I liked but it was heavy handed in places and did come across a bit “ordinary Germans weren’t to blame”.

stevied
    Free Member

Hamburger Hill. In my view, one of the under rated Vietnam films. This post reminds me I need to watch it again.
    This always brings a smile to my face (NSFW)
    How to brush your teeth:
    [video]http://youtu.be/quBLxRo38Xo[/video]

atlaz
    Free Member

I also like the Bastogne episodes of Band of Brothers. In amongst a great series, it’s a really good section which isn’t really at all gung-ho. Made doubly poignant in that Bastogne is quite close by and half a dozen of the Easy Company guys who were killed there are buried not 10 mins from where I’m sitting.

johndoh
    Free Member

The final scene in Blackadder Goes Forth.

barkm
    Free Member

Fight scene towards end of Saving Private Ryan, where Private Mellish is stabbed with his own bayonet by the Waffen SS soldier, whilst Upham is stood at the bottom of the stairs listening.
    Grim desperate scene brilliantly done, stuck with me.

rossatease
    Free Member

+1 Band of Brothers had to watch it again recently, and Generation War surprised they made that and copped to some of the atrocities, we can always rely on Hollywood and the Yanks to lay ours bare and amp them up a tad like the Church burning in Patriot.

I’m looking forward to watching the Turing movie when it comes out but also enjoyed Enigma. Patton was also not to bad, and Private Ryan brought out the real horror of what it must have been like landing on those beaches.

MrSmith
    Free Member

John Frankenheimers The Train.
    scene at the end where the Nazi Colonel confronts Burt Lancaster and his speech:

Labiche! Here’s your prize, Labiche. Some of the greatest paintings in the world.

Does it please you, Labiche? You feel a sense of excitement at just being near them? A painting means as much to you as a string of pearls to an ape. You won by sheer luck. You stopped me without knowing what you were doing or why. You are nothing, Labiche. A lump of flesh.

The paintings are mine. They always will be. Beauty belongs to the man who can appreciate it. They will always belong to me, or a man like me.

Now, this minute, you couldn’t tell me why you did what you did.

the camera cuts between images of dead POW’s and packing crates strewn along the tracks, the crates have ‘DUFY’ ‘RENOIR’ ‘MANET’ etc stencilled on their sides

all this to an eerie soundtrack of a steam engine slowly chuffing away

[video]http://movieclips.com/Lar4t-the-train-movie-a-lump-of-flesh/[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The scene where Charlotte (Charly) finally decides that the only way to ensure her first sexual experience before she might be killed is to seduce the hospital surgeon. She walks into the room. He turns around, sitting at his desk. The look on her face…

All completely wordless, I should emphasise..

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Tropic Thunder : Everybody knows you never go full retard

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Platoon,the willem dafoe death scene.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Battle For Haditha shocked me and still does when I think about it now.

It’s still on 4oD I think. Incredibly powerful.

edlong
    Free Member

There was a hyper-realistic series in the 1980s set in occupied France. There was a very dramatic assassination plot, somehow connected with a quest for a rare painting, the final plot briefing went like this:

… if we kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the Gateau from the Chateau!

Simples, now just to recover the painting of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies…

atlaz
    Free Member

Patton was also not to bad

Peculiarly enough, the man is also buried here

Squidlord
    Free Member
    Deveron53
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7po52DQytEs[/video]

Deveron53
    Free Member

I wonder whether Sniper One by Dan Mills will get made into a movie? I read the book in one go. Gripping stuff.

everyone
    Free Member

The episode in Band of Brothers where they find the concentration camp always gets some dusty eyes for me. Fantastic series and it’s a shame that The Pacific never quite lived up to expectations.

chip
    Free Member

Deer hunter my favourite scene is the wedding where john cazale’s girlfriend is getting groped and his friend laughing at him while he is fuming, has me in stitches.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Quiet afternoon, got talking about war films/miniseries. Favourite scenes?’ is closed to new replies.