• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by weeksy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Quick thrash on the Privateer 141 Öhlins edition
  • timnwild

Here’s a quick braindump about the prog rocking Scando-Brit colab called the Privateer 141 Öhlins edition.

By timnwild

Get the full story on our front page at:

Quick thrash on the Privateer 141 Öhlins edition

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

fahzure

In my experience, the 141, especially with a coil (EXT has the most usable travel and off the top plushness due to its hydraulic bottom out), is an above class performer. Although, it wouldn’t be my first choice for a bike park, you won’t be suffering and as a UK all-rounder it is hard to beat, especially for taller folk.

chrismac

It doesn’t feel heavy, and climbs fine – in a ‘you’ll get there, don’t worry’, carthorse kind of way

What does that actually mean? My interpretation is that’s it’s slow and heavy and you can expect everyone else to be waiting for you at the top

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rubber_Buccaneer

Its huge fork offset

If you’re taking questions I’d like to know what this huge fork offset is too?

robertajobb

And is it actually MADE in Britain? Or is the frame made in an oppressive regime’s sweat shop then just badged up here ?
    I mightily dislike the false British claims of some brands. Is this one of those or actually MADE in Britain.
    These things do matter.

Rubber_Buccaneer

And is it actually MADE in Britain?

Not made in Britain and I’ve never seen any claim or attempt to make it appear that they are. Assembled in Britain yes

roycass
    Free Member

It doesn’t feel heavy..
    but it obviously is..
    You’d of thought the 161 would get the full Gnaarr treatment … great price for a bike park bruiser but it will spend a lot of time hanging in the garage..

DougD

Its huge fork offset

If you’re taking questions I’d like to know what this huge fork offset is too?

Yeah this is a bit odd. It’s in the context of the ‘regular’ 141, however on the Privateer site the fork is a 150mm Pike Ultimate with a 42mm offset – https://www.privateerbikes.com/collections/141/products/privateer-141-enduro-trail-complete-bike-sram-gx?variant=33135259484263. The Ohlins one is only marginally greater at 44mm. Neither seem particularly huge.

mahalo

standard for me regardless of the bike!

What does that actually mean? My interpretation is that’s it’s slow and heavy and you can expect everyone else to be waiting for you at the top

Na, TBH as a 141 owner with a coil shock, nobody can deny the weight is considerable! and its a mental block i cant get over when asked what i think of the bike – which descends like a demon and genuinely climbs fine (seated position is the most comfortable ive ever ridden) but the mass is preventing it from being the best bike ever. i have ridden Gofie with a fair size group and was always amongst the first few to the top. My only issue is hoying it over fences & gates or loading it into the van with my sparrow arms!

LAT

i have a heavy bike that climbs well, but not fast. to me it means that while sitting in a comfortable position you feel like you could climb anything all day long, but the bike isn’t the best for sprinting up fire roads

jameso

Or is the frame made in an oppressive regime’s sweat shop then just badged up here ?

Taiwan?

chakaping
    Free Member

Very entertaining write-up Tim, but you’re obviously too young to remember the JPS Formula 1 cars.

These things do matter.

Yes they do, so you should inform yourself about labour conditions in Taiwanese bike factories.

Spoiler: They are not sweatshops.

halifaxpete

Looks awesome, Love my 141. Weighty yes but still climbs well, I’m usually amongst the first to the top anyway and ride with fit folk.

generalmtb
    Free Member

I don’t suppose anyone here has bought the Öhlins bike have they? I’m thinking to pick one up in the Black Friday sale but not sure if I should go Ohlins or save some money and get a different build? Linky to sale https://www.privateerbikes.com/collections/privateer-bikes-black-friday

weeksy

Katy Curd has one, check out her Insta/FB on her own account and Katy Curd Coaching.

I had a sit on it, but little more due to a rear mech issue she was having that day.

She’s running a P2 front triangle with a P1 back end to give a shorter chainstay.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.