Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick sanity check – EV charger install
  • stevious

We’re lookign to get a charger installed in out new (to us) house and have asked Octopus to give us a quote. Cost seems in line with what we expected (and a quick look seems it’s the same cost regardless of who the provider is). It’s just over a grand.

However, the email with the quote is aking me to pay in advance by card. This feels sketchy.

Is it normal procedure? Either way I’ll be calling octopus tomorrow to find out more but I’m wondering if any folk on here have been through the process.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Check your t&cs but I believe Credit card gives you protection against many things in theory. Including failure to install at all.

droplinked

It’s not unusual for bigger companies to ask for payment upfront. Fairly standard these days.

Bit different to local tradesmen or businesses who generally only ask for deposit upfront and invoice afterwards.

Just pay using a credit card. You’ll have protections under the VISA/MasterCard chargeback scheme, and you’ll have protection under section 75 of the consumer credit act. Both will cover any dodgy install or non delivery.

intheborders
    Free Member

TBH if you’re doubting paying them in advance find another provider who you trust.

Daffy

It’ll possibly be a prepayment check on the card where the authorise the full amount and charge on install. Similar to buying oil or checking into a hotel.

Lots of things are paid in advance/card checked first.

TheFlyingOx

Normal I’d say. We’re upgrading from single to 3 phase supply to the house, I had to pay up front for the works and that was a few thousand £

bensales
    Free Member

When I had my Andersen installed a couple of years ago it was pay up front covering the EVSE and the install cost. Just used the credit card.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

We paid upfront on a credit card for a pod point installation.
    As long as you pay with credit card you should be covered.

Rickos
    Free Member

I bought an Ohme Home Pro charger online for £550 and then got my local electrician to install. I’m with Octopus too so the Ohme helped to make sure I could go Intelligent Octopus and get the 10p/kW overnight rate.

stevious

Ok, thanks all. Was just worried it might be an elaborate scam. Good idea about using credit card

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.