Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Quick question re C.O.D MW2 online play
  • sc-xc

Does your rank have any bearing on the calibre of people you play against. I tried playing it today for the first time, but my son is a rank 38….it seems to be putting me up against other more seasoned players.

IS it worth me setting up a new profile for me?

Milkie
    Free Member

I think I remember reading somewhere, that if you are under level 20, then you play against people that are under that, or are novices. After that I think it tried to match the teams, so they are evenly'ish matched.

So yes, it may be worth setting up a new profile, but you'll also only have the basic weapons, not that it's a bad thing.

btw PS3 or XBOX?

sc-xc

PS3…

I am rubbish.

Liftman

Yes they try to match your rank to the other players.

I did the same thing and had a shot on my sons xbox, his profile also has a rank of 38 – i got owned.

Back to my own xbox and my lowly rank.

Drac

Never noticed it myself seems to be a mixture but when the round is due to start it balances the teams out so not all the high rank ones are on the same team.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

When you search for a game it tries to match as close as possible to your own rank. Don't worry about playing against higher ranked players as it doesn't necessarily mean they are better than you.
    There as some shockingly bad players with high ranks, me being one of them. 😥
    The key to playing online is learn the maps and don't run around in the open. Stealth approach will get your K/D ratio going in the right direction. HTH. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I haven't had any time to play online yet but on the two or three times I have, (level 2) I have been pitted against experienced players. I got owned, but not as badly as I feared (I did play the original MW rather a lot though 🙂 ) – I am hoping that is mainly because I have no idea of the maps / have no perks yet.

sofatester
    Free Member

Stealth approach will get your K/D ratio going in the right direction.

Bloody campers 😉

sc-xc

I just tried being stealthy with a sniper rifle. Took me too long to aim so kept getting shot.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Bloody campers

I don't camp, just wait for people to come to me, kill them and move around the corner. 9 times out of 10 they'll come back and look where I was before. I then kill them again and move on. Repeat til end.
    Unfortunatley I'm not good enough to kill people by finding them.
    I've never used a Sniper btw. 😀
    Edit; Cold Blooded, Ninga and Sleight of hands with silencer attached will make you almost invisible on the radar.

sofatester
    Free Member

I don't camp, just wait for people to come to me, kill them and move around the corner. 9 times out of 10 they'll come back and look where I was before. I then kill them again and move on. Repeat til end.
    Unfortunatley I'm not good enough to kill people by finding them.

Thats what all the true campers say!

I'm the other 1 out of 10.

You hear that "tink tink pop" noise? That’s a stun grenade. You can't see any more can you? What a shame, you’re dead now.

😆

cb

Sorry to hijack this but a couple of questions of my own: –

– What is an execution kill?
    – Why is the Rust level so rare in Free for All?
    – How the hell do I tell who is friendly and who is not in a Team Deathmatch? Is it purely on the colour of their name tag? Being colour blind doesn't help with that!
    – If I and a mate are talking in Free for All and we've muted everyone else – can they still hear my foul language?
    – Is possible to have a team game without some oik 12 year old playing gangster rap in the background?

My rank is 43 – got there through the bloody minded attrition method of kill someone, get killed twice (repeat etc) and with no skill whatsoever.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

You hear that "tink tink pop" noise? That’s a stun grenade. You can't see any more can you? What a shame, you’re dead now.

I try that too, except someone else always beats me to it. All I get is "tink tink pop" I still can't see and i'm still dead. Someone else has a nice double kill. Bugger! 👿

What is an execution kill?

I think it's when you kill someone in last stand.

If I and a mate are talking in Free for All and we've muted everyone else – can they still hear my foul language?

Yes, you only mute them I think. They won't be able to hear you if you're in party chat though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

because the rust level has nowhere to hide? Usualy ends in 20+ kills/deaths, which most people dont like, its more like playing unreal tournament/quake4 than COD on that map.

Milkie
    Free Member

– What is an execution kill?

I think its when they are nearly dead on the floor (final stand) and you kill them by shooting them in the head.

– Why is the Rust level so rare in Free for All?

Not just free for all, rare in TDM too.

– How the hell do I tell who is friendly and who is not in a Team Deathmatch? Is it purely on the colour of their name tag? Being colour blind doesn't help with that!

Yes I think it is on colour only. Green your team, Red the enemy.

– If I and a mate are talking in Free for All and we've muted everyone else – can they still hear my foul language?

Yes they can hear you, unless they mute you.

– Is possible to have a team game without some oik 12 year old playing gangster rap in the background?

Just mute them while in the game.

Burts
    Free Member

How the hell do I tell who is friendly and who is not in a Team Deathmatch? Is it purely on the colour of their name tag? Being colour blind doesn't help with that!

CB, I'm red-green colour blind also and that's my #1 complaint with the game. Couldn't they find a different colour combination? Anyway, I've found 2 things that help:

1) Friendlies have their green name-tags over them permanently; the enemy red tags don't appear until 2-3 seconds after they come into your field of vision. So it they don't have a name-tag, shoot them.

2) In TDM, you can't hurt friendlies, so just shoot everyone you see. 😕 Obviously, this is not so good in Hardcore games.

CHB

My PS3 user name is yeti_leeds_uk

I find sniper rifles are rubbish.
    Current favourite is the SCAR with heart beat sensor.
    I also like the P90 SMG for fast paced assault games.

I am trying to like the LSW for longer ranged assault, coupled with stopping power its quite lethal with a huge clip

CHB

Oh and cold blooded is the best perk of all.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I debate that,

M16, holographic, FMJ and Extra Stopping Power is pretty unstoppable 🙂

Point. Click. Kill.

🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I find sniper rifles are rubbish.

Bloody amateur! 😉

Sniper rifles are awesome on the right map, pretty useless on others though. Certainly less useful than a kick in the teeth on a map like Rust, but on many of the wide open maps, they're awesome.

Liking the M16A4 myself at the mo, now I've got all the add-ons for it. ACOG, Thermal or Holographic scope (depending on map) for me, with FMJ. Pretty much unstoppable… Well… Except for the die hards on level 70+ who seem to be able to kill everyone with just a pair of ancient shotguns!

ANYBODY else on here playing it on the PC or am I the only one without an XBOX or PS3?

cb

Thanks for the tip on the colour thing Burts. I suit Free for All better I think!

Just buzzing (geeky I know) from a win in Rust and my first 30 kill game!

i_am_JC
    Free Member

Have a look at the uniform of the people that stand next to you at the start. The other people will be wearing different stuff. TBH I've never found spotting different people a problem.

Oh, and I hate campers and grenade launchers, love stealth perks and am desperately trying to complete the M4.

PS3 – Villan98

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Im on PC!

Keyboard & Mouse FTW 🙂

im one_happy_hippy unsurprisingly 🙂

Haze

I can confirm the OP to be a right camper.

CHB

Right, will give M16 a try out!!

BoardinBob

ACR gets my vote. Fully pumped out now with everything unlocked 🙂

TenMen
    Free Member

I prefer the SCAR over the ACR because of the extra stopping power. Been trying out a few sneaky sniper classes, but just keep getting mullered, as I'll fire my one shot, and then get cut to ribbons. Most used perks are bling, cold-blooded and ninja.

sobriety
    Free Member

I'm on PC too, complete noob on MW2, did play MW1 a bit and played DoD to death when I was a uni though, Yossarian_lives is me.

CHB

scavenger and claymores is a good combination.
    You can really set yourself up to snipe and set two claymores to cover your back. If you set a third then the first self destructs.

mboy
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy and sobriety, hope you don't mind, I've added you to my friends on Steam…

I'm maverickboy1980 by the way…

jon1973
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member
    I debate that,

M16, holographic, FMJ and Extra Stopping Power is pretty unstoppable

What does the holographic sight actually do? got that upgrade the other day and I can't see any difference.

mboy
    Free Member

What does the holographic sight actually do?

Better, more accurate version of the red dot sight…

You have to remember that all things are personal on COD. Some people hate snipers, I did for a while, love them now. Some people like my housemate love the thermal scopes, personally unless it's on a snowy level, I can't stand them!

grantway
    Free Member

I have quiet a few names/badges etc and no idea what they are for
    or what they do, I know alot are using cheats as you seem
    to shoot people to pieces and they still kill you.

cb

grantway – I read (maybe bull) that lag on your connection can cause this to happen as you're essentially shooting something that has moved! Name badges are for comedy value only as far as I can tell?

steviegil
    Free Member

I have not played MW2 for AGES might have a go tonight after reading this thread 😀

mboy
    Free Member

grantway – I read (maybe bull) that lag on your connection can cause this to happen as you're essentially shooting something that has moved! Name badges are for comedy value only as far as I can tell?

Yup, exactly what he said… As annoying as it can be (VERY!) it's lag in the internet connection causing this… Watch the killcam afterwards if you don't believe me, as often whilst you think you've got 4 or 5 shots in them by the time you died, you'll find you've only hit them once tops and it wasn't a critical hit!

Name badges purely for a laugh… Though the higher level you get, the more badges you get, so they're also a way of showing off.

CHB

M16 is brilliant! ow replaced my trusty SCAR.

Smudger666

If you have Cold Blooded, and get it to pro (theres a glitch for this btw) then your name doesnt appear in red when an enemy drags his sights over you.

and i never look for names – always id the bad guys by their uniforms. lag can prevent a friendly player's name appearing especially at long distances so you may end up shooting friendlies if you shoot those with no name above them.

Smudger

SPOILER below…..

get Cold Blooded. get an AT4 rocket launcher as your backup weapon, use an LMG as main weapon. when the enemy get a chopper in the air, ONE team member hits it with the AT4, then everyone opens up on it with bullets. this prevents it from exploding but it will smoke, burst into flames and then spin to the ground for 5-10 secoonds. If you shoot it once it is dead, but spinning, your hits count as a 'kill' towards the Cold Blooded challenge. You wont get a 'hit' indicator, but so long as you keep shooting, the kills rack up. (you need 150 to get the Pro) The LMG can almost discharge its whole mag if you time it right and you can get the challenge in 2-3 goes if you do it right.

Sidney
    Free Member

Once you get used to the FAL it's a great gun – its like the power and accuracy of a sniper rifle in the convenience of an assault rifle.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The TAR is pretty good with Stopping Power and FMJ.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Quick question re C.O.D MW2 online play’ is closed to new replies.