Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick Question – moving from 34T to 36T front ring ..
  • tallmart10

Do you typically have to lengthen the chain?

I stupidly threw the remaining links of my chain away when I set the bike up for 34T but I am finding it a bit too low-geared for me. The local hills are not that steep here ..

I am on 26″ wheels by the way with a Sunrace 11-46.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM 11 said no for 2t change

hols2
    Free Member

It will depend entirely on how much slack you have in it currently. You need it to be able to fit around the biggest sprocket and ring, plus have a bit of slack. Only way to know is to try fitting the 36 tooth ring and see.

tallmart10

Awesome, thanks. I do remember when I set it up using the big-to-big + 2 rivets I was nearly able to take another full link out but just not quite,so I was hoping that was the case.

nemesis
    Free Member

You’ll *probably* be ok then. But it’s on you 😀

tallmart10

I am about to buy the new 36t ring, just wanted to know my percentage chance of having the “bugger, should have bought a chain too at the same time” scenario ..

nemesis
    Free Member

I expect someone here would have a couple of links of chain spare if you’re really stuck (I may actually)

tallmart10

Thanks nemesis for the offer

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got some spare. If it didn’t work out, I can send you a couple of links

tallmart10

Just got my new Raceface 36T chainring after a looong wait. Fitted it yesterday and yay! the chain length was fine moving from the 34T to the 36T.

For all those who offered advice, thank you. You may stand down.

M.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick Question – moving from 34T to 36T front ring ..’ is closed to new replies.