Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Quick poll…to chamois or not?
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Looking for a quick poll on who wears what depending on the length of spin you do. I’m getting older and lazier so have started to just pull on some shorts without a chamois if it’s a shortish spin as I can’t be arsed with the usual cycle of washing / drying bibs ever time I come back in.

So….do you wear a chamois insert or bibs etc for the following rides:

1. Under 1hr
    2. between 1hr & 2hr
    3. Over 2+hrs

I’ll start…

No
    No
    Yes

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Yes to all

psling
    Free Member

1. Yes, but not always
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

(ps how old is older?)

scaled
    Free Member

Yes to all here too. I have, however got sick of the washing and drying as well.

I’ve taken to just hand washing bibs with some detergent as soon as I get back in from a ride (in the bathroom sink, before I get in to the shower)

The Mrs hasn’t twigged yet but its only a matter of time before I’m busted.

brooess
    Free Member

Bibs for everything, always

nuke

Yes to all

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes to all unless it’s just down the road to the shops.
    For shorter rides I’ve found tri shorts good, not as padded but dry quicker.
    For me it’s not just the pad but the seams and wicking that make the difference comfort wise.

rOcKeTdOg

yes to all, the thought wearing anything else, such as normal underwear makes me shudder. Grim!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

bren2709

Yes to all, except when riding the Downhill bike.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If I’m “going out for a ride” I’ll always wear them, it’s never less than 2 hrs.
    But I sometimes end up JRA on commutes and chores for up to an hour in regular clothes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Never, even doing a hundred miler on the road bike.

I don’t find them (even mega expensive ones) comfortable.

I guess I have an ass made of rhino skin 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

yes
    yes
    no

Northwind

I never do, don’t feel any need or point. And tbh every time I ride in them, I find them weird, sweaty and chafey- though to be fair mine are cheap ones that came with shorts. All I do is pick undies with a bit of thought to seams, currently rocking the tesco boxers.

No comfort issues other than when down in the pyrenees with AQR when endless sweaty pedalling for 6 days got me a bit sore… Though same was true of chamoisists. But it’s entirely possible I’m as sterile as a mule 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

Yes for anything over 1 hour, but I don’t wash them after every ride.

Is that gross?

Rscott
    Free Member

No
    Yes
    Yes

Superficial, Dependshow clean you are bellow and how sweaty you get.Most would say yes but i think youd get away with everysecond ride,if your through and not to sweaty

Junkyard
    Free Member

Always wear them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but have more than one pair so washing and drying is just like normal clothes. We get a bike kit wash every 3-4 days in the house.

jota180
    Free Member

Yes to all

No washing and drying issues, I just put them in the basket, then they somehow end up in my shorts drawer all laundered.

big_scot_nanny

yes
    yes
    yes

cp

Yes yes yes.

Is chucking them in the machine post ride such an issue? More hassle to hand wash!

I have a few pairs, so they just acrue over a couple of days and wash as a job lot.

slowoldman

Always.
    I’ll assume you are not equating getting older with getting lazier.

johnhe

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

DanW
    Free Member

yes to all, the thought wearing anything else, such as normal underwear makes me shudder. Grim!

Ditto to that!

The only time I didn’t was riding (standing) 10 minutes to the local dirt jumps where it would be a bit odd to all lycraed up. If you are doing DH or DJ then I guess no… but everything else regardless of time… a big “yes”!

njee20
    Free Member

Always.

I have a couple of draws of cycling kit, plus a washing basket of dirty stuff. When either the draws are empty, or the basket is full I do a wash to redress the balance. Can imagine if you didn’t have multiple sets of kit it would be irritating though.

In winter I run out of base layers first, in summer I run out of shorts (plenty of shorts not really appropriate to be worn without tights these days!).

MoreCashThanDash

Bibs for all here too.

scaled
    Free Member

Is chucking them in the machine post ride such an issue? More hassle to hand wash!

I have a few pairs, so they just acrue over a couple of days and wash as a job lot.

It came to a head for me lately as i’ve been commuting on the road bike, getting changed in to MTB kit (another pair of shorts) then heading out again. 2 pairs a day and it’s easier to hand wash.

It means I don’t have those days where i’ve only got Castelli left to commute in 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I commute in Assos! Why wouldn’t you, it’s all riding!?

stevious

Chamois all the time for me.

Oh and wash after every ride, even just a quick soap in the sink to keep the bum germs at bay. Getting those germs in the wrong place leads to discomfort.

martymac

yes for everything over an hour.
    cant ride in normal briefs tho, the seams feel like they are 1″ razorwire.
    boxers otoh, are fine for an hour.
    wouldnt dream of doing 2 rides in the same underwear.

downhilldave

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    But not bibs in summer,find them too warm to be fair 😉 Wash after every ride, two evenings/night and a longer Saturday ride.

mcnultycop

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anything over about 5 mins and I’ll stick shorts with a pad on.

Lyrca-ed up, all my saddles are comfortable for 6hrs+. Without, I can barely rest my full weight on them.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Oh well…I guess I’m in the minority again!

There’s a market for a self cleaning chamois!

allfankledup

Yep – always

The mrs does the washing – she’s not complained, but I guess it gets lost in the noise compared to the kids…..

miketually
    Free Member

I did 180km in normal pants last month (Darlington to Rothwell via a rather windy Sustrans-based route), then did about 90km the following day, to Berwick.

Very rarely wear ‘proper’ shorts now, though I am going to seek out some unpadded lycra shorts as cotton boxers get a bit sweaty.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Always wear Bibs but only use chamoix cream on long rides.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll…to chamois or not?’ is closed to new replies.