Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Quick poll (roadie content).
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Do I –
    1. Buy a set of Raceguards for the CAAD10

OR

2. Buy a winter road bike? :mrgreen:

druidh
    Free Member

N+1

Thread Closed

weeksy

neither… it’s only a bit of dirt…

brant
    Free Member

I’m riding my summer bike, without guards even. With carbon wheels and Vittoria Corsa CX Evo tubs. I can’t bear the thought of riding a heavy winter bike, but I only commute or go out when it doesn’t look too horrible.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Raceguards.

And a Supersix come spring next year.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    N+1

Thread Closed
    I was hoping someone would say that.

*shows Mrs Soks the “case for..”*

radoggair
    Free Member

new winter bike needed or get raceguard longs, much better than standard

brooess
    Free Member

I’d have cried if my summer bike had got as muddy as my winter bike did yesterday. Not least because the cost of replacing the drivechain is a lot higher.

n+1 remains one of life’s truisms 🙂

Nobby

I’d ‘convert’ current bike to the winter one & buy a shiny summer bike in the new year.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Nobby – Member
    I’d ‘convert’ current bike to the winter one & buy a shiny summer bike in the new year.

Hmm. How about a CAADX disc for winter? 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Proper winter bike, you get stronger (slightly, perhaps)and your summer bike feels great.

Kryton57

I was thinking this same thing today Toxicsoks, after getting a facefull on a group ride yesterday.

Thing is, my lovely sleek Bianchi would look sh*te with raceguards.

I need a “What cheap winter road bike” thread – although, would that be cheaper than replacing a chain, cassette and a couple of sets of brake blocks eh?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Raceguards. Hardly know they’re on.

Kryton57
    will
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Proper winter bike, you get stronger (slightly, perhaps)and your summer bike feels great.

+1

cynic-al
    Free Member

The chain gang I pass on my Saturday commute seems to be predominately summer bikes without mudguards.

I’ve never seen the appeal myself. As if your bike is some work of art that it’s best to get it and you covered in salty dirt?

IIRC you used to get turned away from a winter ride if you didn’t have mudguards. Seems fine to me.

tonyd

although, would that be cheaper than replacing a chain, cassette and a couple of sets of brake blocks eh?

and chainrings, hub service, etc etc. Depends on your bike!

I commute on a lovely carbon race bike and it breaks my heart but I can’t afford a winter bike too.

druidh
    Free Member

😆

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Dolan Prefissio… Miles better than a Ribble… I enjoy riding mine as much as my summer carbon bike – TCR C3.

A winter bike is more than just an “N+1”, it’s a loyal friend.

robotdancer
    Free Member

You could always just wash it and save the cash for beer, I find the practice useful when me bike gets too dirty.. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

it depends on the state of your mountain bike collection really.
    why buy a winter bike when there’s a gaping hole in your collection for a 120mm travel full suss to complement your 100mm and 150mm full sussers?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If you have the money then treat yourself to a nice comfortable “heavy” winter bike.

kilo

+1 for racebladelongs much better than raceblades

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think Nobby had the right answer. Winterize current bike and buy something new and shiny come the summer (hopefully we’ll get one next year.)

Kryton57

That Dolan does look nice.

But CrudRoadracers are £22 on Ribble rather than £699 for the Dolan… So the invetiable question for Mr Soks and I:

What mudguards are the best ones for race bikes?

clubber
    Free Member

If you don’t already have on, get a CX bike with a spare set of wheels and clip on mudguards (I like raceblades) and use it as a CX bike and a winter road bike…

convert

Think Nobby had the right answer. Winterize current bike and buy something new and shiny come the summer (hopefully we’ll get one next year.)

Nah – Caad10 a lovely summer frame but would be a crap winter frame. Guard mounts & clearance is where it’s at.

An odd “rule” of the road – extra points for a shiney bike that looks like a bit of an F1 cast off in the summer. Extra points for riding a heap of crap in the the winter. The heap of crap will of course be far from a heap of crap in reality but it won’t look like something glitzy from the pro peleton. It’ll look like something your grandad would have coveted as a youth.

ourmaninthenorth

A winter bike is more than just an “N+1”, it’s a loyal friend.

Mine was. Frame cracked (alu). Too sad to replace it after all those miles together. So I’m trashing the summer bike instead.

No, I don;t get the logic behind this either.

Kryton57

My Mrs is going to hate me tonight as I try to justify another bike purchase to her….

Thanks STWer’s…

PS REALLY liking that Dolan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What happened to your “I’m goping to be less marterialistic from now on” Kryton?

Kryton57

cynic-al, you have a point.

I just don’t want the Bianchi to rot away. New bike is, actually, a pipedream.

I guess its ride, ride and ride and fix it when it wears out.

SKS Raceblade longs then? Will my bianchi look sh**e? 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could always pick up a winter frame, fork and wheels on the cheap and move the groupset over then get a nice blingy new groupset for the caad10 come the summer (maybe some nice Di2 action 🙂

Edit: though you’d probably end up spending as much on frame, fork, wheels and bits as you would on that Ribble or Dolan. Cracking value.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

PS REALLY liking that Dolan.

Just get one. No pockets in a shroud… It really is a surprisingly lovely bike to ride – nice and light, nowhere near as harsh as I expected after riding carbon bikes, infact, the carbon fork makes it pretty comfy…

Having proper mudguard eyes and clearance means you get a nice solid bike with no rattling.

Mine’s built up with a 1992 600-Ultegra groupset (the first of the STIs), Open Pro rims and Chromoplastics. It’s just gorgeous.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A proper winter bike does indeed have chromoplastics on proper mounts.

clubber
    Free Member

I built up a Prefissio for a mate. I did a ride on it once I’d built it (since his first ride was going to be a century and I didn’t want it to go wrong…) and for the money it’s a great frame.

EDIT – for the critics, that’s the seatpost set up for me to ride it and I’m taller than my mate

convert

That looks like a wrong frame size purchase if ever I saw one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a genesis then you can fit full length mudguards.

clubber
    Free Member

convert – Member
    That looks like a wrong frame size purchase if ever I saw one.

Of course it is – I built it up for my mate, not me 😉 I’m a frame size or two taller than him…

clubber
    Free Member

And can I just say that IMO (of course…) full length guards are over rated. I notice barely any difference between removeable ones and ‘proper’ ones so long as they’re fitted right.

convert

Fair enough. The bikes I build up for my wife weirdly seem to fit me almost a little better than they do her 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll (roadie content).’ is closed to new replies.