Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Quick decorating question..
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Need to do a quick tidy up of some woodwork. The area has been painted by previous owner using a semi sheen gloss, which is peeling off in places.
    I have tried to use an oil based full gloss over it but the paint remains tacky to the touch and needs to come off.
    I know I should take it back to bare wood and start again but haven’t got the time or inclination at the moment.
    So, is there any type of primer I can use over the latexy paint to allow a full gloss to key to it and then dry?
    Also wouldv I be better off using water based paint?
    Thanks 👍

johndoh
    Free Member

By the sounds of it you are screwed – painting yet another coat on something that is tacky before trying to paint again sounds like it is destined to fail.

Hot air gun, scrape it off and start again I’d say.

And yes – water-based paints all the way – easier to apply, easier to get a nice finish (although admittedly a really good finish can be had by a professional using standard gloss – not that non-drip crap that is like glue and yellows too quickly).

espressoal
    Free Member

Tacky or soft?

A soft layer of paint is impossible, I’d strip it, tacky is no problem, just untacky it.

frankconway

It’s worth checking the Rustoleum range as they seem to have a paint for…almost everything.
    You could call their tech dept – I think they’re still in Durham.

jambourgie
    Free Member

If you really don’t want to strip it back you could try something called BIN Primer from Zinsser. Good stuff. Still try and get rid of any loose stuff though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Quick decorating question..’ is closed to new replies.