• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by aP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quick cv question (redundancy related)
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

If you’ve previously been made redundant, should you list that under your work history? Concerned that without mentioning redundancy it looks a bit odd that I was in my last role for only 2 months

SaxonRider

Do you actually need to list the two-month job at all? In my estimation, that short a time would not represent a serious enough time-gap to raise any suspicions or concerns were you to just omit it entirely.

EDIT: I should add that I am responsible for hiring people with moderate regularity.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It’s 2 months on since being made redundant so that gap is now a 4 month gap 🙂

SaxonRider

Ah, I see. In which case, you might list it like this:

date hired – date released (redundancy); place of work; job title

(in whatever order your format takes)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d put it there, it shows you did the role and were not fired (unless it was redundancy of 1) also helps to lead on to the conversation about looking for a serious long term position etc. hows the company going, whats your next 3 years looking like?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I’d reference it in a way like SaxonRider suggests. I wouldn’t omit it as discussing the time gap may come up at interview and might be seen negatively then if it looks like you were trying to hide it. Was it actually redundancy though, I would have thought you’d have been on a probation period (although maybe that still counts as redundancy, not sure what else it would be called really…)

ebygomm
    Free Member

Was it actually redundancy though

Company was liquidated, so everyone was made redundant. As it’s within a probationary period I didn’t qualify for any redundancy pay but I think it still is technically redundancy.

aP
    Free Member

Why not just say that the previous company folded soon after you joined them?

chakaping
    Free Member

yeah, work it into your details for the role as the concluding line

ebygomm
    Free Member

Why not just say that the previous company folded soon after you joined them?

Worded that way makes it sound as though my joining and the company folding were linked 🙂

mattyfez

I’ve mentioned redundancy as a reason for not being in a job very long, it doesn’t seem to have caused me any issues. It’s not like it’s a rare thing these days.

aP
    Free Member

Worded that way makes it sound as though my joining and the company folding were linked 

Ok, how about this?

“I joined **my-last-employer** at a juncture, unbeknown to me, where they were undergoing financial problems resulting in all the employees being made redundant soon after.”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quick cv question (redundancy related)’ is closed to new replies.