Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Quick bit of advice on bank accounts please!
  • itchy
    Free Member

Can you open a bank account on-line? I need to open a basic account to link my Paypal to as they need me to get verified.I don’t want to hand over my current account as I want as few people/companies knowing my details as possible. Any bank accounts out therethat can be opened on-line without going through credit checks and everything else? Tried a few like Barclays/Halifax, but they all need to be opened in branch with ID etc.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

You can apply online but will definitely need ID

Money laundering rules

vinnyeh

All of the branchless ie internet based banks are obviously online application only, but you will still need to send them proofs of id and address, and will get credit checked- it’s regulatory for the obvious fraud/money laundering angles.
    I really can’t see what your objection is to this though? What’s your reason, out of curiosity?

itchy
    Free Member

I am not really a fan of Paypal, I posted a set of lights for £100 a couple of years ago, got a proof of receipt then the bloke said he never got them. I e-mailed all the info and they still ended up taking the money and a 3£15 fee out of my account. It didn’t have enough money in so it came from my Visa. I have sold and bought a few items from here and find the Gift option really useful so was thinking of opening an account, verifying Paypal using that and keeping it empty – if you know what I mean!

spooky_b329

If you use the gift option you might as well just send a cheque/cash! No protection whatsoever.

Those lights…if you had proof of postage why didn’t you claim from the courier/post office for the loss?

itchy
    Free Member

Couldn’t claim because the Post Office delivered them, got proof of postage then the guy said he never got them. I sent Paypal the proof of postage with his signature on and they still went in his favour – hencethe obvious dislike towards them. Not bothered about the protection, more the ease of buying stuff from here, CRCand Wiggle.

smurf
    Free Member

Won’t your current bank just open another account for you. That way you can use the 2nd account for online stuff / bank transfers from “strangers” and you can swap money between the 2 as needed.

works for me

smurf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Quick bit of advice on bank accounts please!’ is closed to new replies.