Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Question on Classified etiquette – bought faulty wheels
  • DeeW
    Free Member

Bought a set of wheels off the classifieds. DT rims, Pro2 front hub and Nukeproof rear hub.

Advertised as having new freehub and bearings. Seller up front that had had freehub problems so replaced by his LBS. Decent price – £92.50 delivered.

I get wheels, look good, and spin fine in hand, goes on my son’s xmas bike. Less than a mile into first ride, few crunching noises, then cassette spins round with no drive to back wheel = long push home in cold.

I contact seller. We together work out that old pawls / springs are most likely culprit(apparently were not replaced with freehub). I ask for £15 to cover cost of these from CRC.

He refuses, says I am being cheeky to ask, was not his fault as he did not know wheel was still faulty (I’m not disputing this), and his LBS has since closed down.

It is (only) £15 for the pawls, not the end of the world, and I realise I have no way of getting the money back besides his good will.

But am I being really old-fashioned / unrealistic to ask for him to pay for the parts needed to get the wheel working again?

If something I sell on the classifieds fails on first ride should I help out buyer or tell him hard luck and you are on your own?

What do you think?

weeksy

I’d personally replace them if it were me. I did the same on a Kawasaki i built and installed a spacer wrong way round causing bearing failure on first ride, went straight round to blokes house with new bearings when shop opened.

Personally i think he’s out of line.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d pay, or at the very least offer to split. Sounds like a bit of a cock frankly.

Chris-S
    Free Member

I reckon you got a really good deal in the first place, so an extra £15 ain’t really an issue. Just get em running so you lad can enjoy his xmas present again

Junkyard
    Free Member

caveat empor

like he said he did not know this
    I might split th ecopsty with your ofr karma points but you bought it , it is yours and it broke…harsh but how it is [ I assume they did nto know re pawls]

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I think that is abit rough.I once sold some wheels throught the front wheel was 15mm it was 20mm guy had got some forks.But he was ok so said send him some new tubeless valves and he was happy .Hassle for him.I think he could at least meet you half way.

toys19
    Free Member

might be caveat emptor legally but the bloke sounds like a twunt, I like to keep my peeps happy so that I can continue to sell stuff. So name and shame so we know who not to buy off in the future.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I agree with Toys, i don’t want to buy anything off this bloke. Who is it?

hora
    Free Member

Tricky one. My old King wheelset was worn out. Literally. I sold this as spares or repair on STW- never heard a peep since but thats because I’d classed them as spares or repair.

If I had wheels ‘fixed’ and then immediately sold them then I feel the issue is between me (seller) and the LBS that repaired the wheels. After all they were repairing them to WORK.

Seeing as the LBS is shut the issue between the seller and himself IMO and although hes scot-free as its buyer beware IMO he has a moral duty to make sure the wheels were repaired correctly and would work..

Thats how I’d see it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it were me selling, I’d probably pay because I’m nice.

But that’s all it is. Nice. And if the buyer wasn’t nice to me I’d refuse, probably.

If it were me buying, and I was told no, I’d be miffed then go and sort it out myself and not get stressed about it. Buyer beware, basically. These things happen. If you want faultless with a warranty, buy new, not used…… 🙂

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve mailed the seller this thread address to let him have his say if he wants.

I’m not losing any sleep over it, and will buy myself the new pawls tonight…

Just one of those experiences which make me less likely to use these Classifieds as I don’t see it as in the spirit of buying and selling over what I have believed to be a very ‘friendly’ website. Now if it happened on Pinkbike or even SouthernDownhill I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d prob go halves.

Looking forward to the name and shame and flame …

njee20
    Free Member

**sharpens pitchfork**

toys19
    Free Member

Just one of those experiences which make me less likely to use these Classifieds as I don’t see it as in the spirit of buying and selling over what I have believed to be a very ‘friendly’ website. Now if it happened on Pinkbike or even SouthernDownhill I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised…

all the more reason to name and shame, we only want “nice” (copyright PP) sellers here.

clubber
    Free Member

What PP said. If the seller was acting in good faith (eg he really didn’t know that the wheel was borked) then you’ve got to see that as the risk you take with second hand. Obviously if he knew and that was why he was selling, well that makes him a twunt but it’s still the risk you run…

Taff
    Free Member

Depends, had it been installed by shop then it would’ve been their warranty but in this case it’s closed down so that’s a pain in the a***. Same applies for me on ebay as on here. Providing I’m happy with something when it’s sold and it’s in good working order and the description reflects what is being sold if there’s a product issue within 2 minutes of being ridden or 6 years down the line it’s down to the new owner. Personally I would have changed the pawls if changing the freehub as you would expect wear but they may have appeared fine and dandy. Could just be the law of sod. One of the reasons why I get nervous about selling things just in case I get come back but I also get nervous buying things off others. That said I have helped people in the past but it depends on the item sold and the problem that has occurred. In this instance I would probably go halves especially if on the forum as pretty much most of the people on here seem pretty decent and honest.

Northwind

Personally, as a seller I’d sort that. But I wouldn’t feel under any obligation in all honesty, since it’s a new failure not an existing one that he’s glossed over. And it’d definately depend on the buyer’s attitude.

roblane65
    Free Member

RIGHT I AM THE SO CALLED OFFENDER HERE SO LETS SET A FEW THINGS STRAIGHT.
    njee20 I’m not a cock.
    DeeW has had these wheels nearly a month before his email arrived last night about this problem.
    spec of wheels he bought,,, dt swiss xr 4.2d (light scratches) F/hud hope pro11 straight pull with new bearings 9.5 /10 condition R/hub nukeproof (re spoked with b/new f/hub £48 charge at lbs and told should cure the slipping under load) and buyer was aware of this fact and he paid the princely sum of £92.50 delivered

and I’m being made out to be a villain ! I think we should ask all the other people whov’e bought gear from me ?

I think some people should get all the facts before they throw stones

If you took a 2nd hand car back to a garage after a month and said the brake pads(wearing part0 were worn what would they tell you to do ?????
    I’ glad to see there are some sensible replies to his post.

vorlich
    Free Member

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    🙂

roblane65
    Free Member

BTW I’ve replyed to this post as I’ve just got his mail saying he’d posted on here wished I’d got it sooner before all the name callers no here started posting replies. I’ve got on problems anyone knowing who I am infact I’ll be posting some more nice stuff on F/s shortly.
    roblane65 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I usually try to buy off forum users rather than just classified users like you two seem to be. But if DeeW really did have the wheels for a month before he noticed a fault then he’s only got himself to blame. I wouldnt expect to have the seller buy me some replacemnt parts after having the item for a month.

jonba
    Free Member

🙂 kettles on…

wrecker
    Free Member

I reckon by that description, he paid £92.50 for some wheels with a new free hub. He didn’t get a new free hub, misleading ad IMHO.
    The fact its a Xmas bike excuses the time lapse in my eyes.

hora
    Free Member

A month? Hmmm. That is quite an important point IMO. The seller can reasonably think ‘how much use etc have the wheels had that I don’t know about’.

A month + £15. OP I think you’ve left it too long to chase any seller for that amount

toys19
    Free Member

adds roblane65 to list of people not to buy from.

t-p26
    Free Member

We had a similar experience when rallying, bought a “rebuilt” gearbox, it arrived all seemed well. Finished building car, 2 months later,jumped in for first road test, wouldnt go into gear… Spoke to rebuilder who had no reason to believe it was unused for two months, he told us to f-cough it was fine when he`d last had it…
    Turned out there were bits missing!
    MORAL? :Buying second hand-test it immeadiately, then if theres a problem, theres a better chance of reconciliation

roblane65
    Free Member

Please yourself mate(toys19).I’ve sold loads of stuff to very happy customers and this is the first problem I’ve ever had.I do not mislead people, the desciption and pictures he got of the wheels was full and true.
    wrecker go back and read the post properly i.e. descripition of wheels.
    were l
    talking of a spring and pawl kit .not knackered wheel !

Jamie
    Free Member

Please yourself mate(toys19).I’ve sold loads of stuff to very happy customers and this is the first problem I’ve ever.I do not mislead people, the desciption and pictures he got of the wheels was full and true.

..and hopefully, in the course of making all these customers happy, you have donated a couple of quid to STW for using their free services.

roblane65
    Free Member

No I havn’t and to be honest I didn’t know how to.thanks for the heads up .

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Sounds like the seller paid his Lbs to fix a problem, he paid handsomely for it and they missed out a basic step. If I was him I’d be peeved. And the op did get a bargain.
    Also +1 on only buying from all-forum users rather than classified-only. If I was the seller I would feel bound to help out both morally and (for the cynical) to preserve a rep ala eBay feedback. But then as the buyer I would have sorted it without complaint and added the cost to the low price paid for the wheels, accepting it as part of buying used.

roblane65
    Free Member

horay ,any more stone throwers yet.come on some more sarcasm,no !

DeeW
    Free Member

Rob: don’t think I’ve made you out to be a villain. Just stated the facts and asked for opinions.

Fact is the wheel went less than a mile before it failed totally. Now I might be lying about that and it’s actually been ridden twice round the world in that time… You’ll have to take my word on that, and I don’t think even Rob doubts it.

Fair dos I have had the wheel a month: my fault and a lesson learnt.

Bit different to wear and tear over a month. My take on the whole saga is: the rear hub wasn’t working (I’m guessing exactly the same problem I have now), Rob took it to LBS and paid for it to be fixed. They replaced wrong part. He spun it by hand and believed it to be fixed. Sold as having ‘new freehub’. I bought it believing it to be fixed and in as new condition. Passed same hand spin test when I got it.

First ride out under my 10 years old’s steel thighs it fails. Not wear and tear, just not fixed properly, and in no way fit for purpose when sold to me.

Rob: if you had kept the wheels yourself and found the problem, would you have complained to your LBS? Or not said anything for fear of being “cheeky” or “making them out to be a villain”.

And just to clear things up I am in no way implying that Rob knew about the fault when he sold them, just that he has not been very “nice” in his responses after the problem came to light.

Anyway, I’m off to buy some pawls……

olympus
    Free Member

Click the make a donation link and then input how much you want to donate. Simples.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rob: if you had kept the wheels yourself and found the problem, would you have complained to your LBS? Or not said anything for fear of being “cheeky” or “making them out to be a villain”.

A private sale and an LBS sale are completely different things though.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Hhhmmmm, second hand set of wheels bought cheaply need maintenance / repair.

It would be very nice if the seller contributed however, there is certainly no moral / legal requirement for them to do so.

Would the OP have started a thread heaping praise on the generousity of the seller if they had contributed. I suspect not.

roblane65
    Free Member

accepted the fact your’e not calling me a liar,the point as far as I’m concered is considering the build of the wheels you recieved for £92.50 you’d even ask for a further £15 off for a set of springs and pawls (albeit a month after you bought them) 99.9% of people would have just been rubbing thier hands at the wheels they’d got.many thanks for rubbishing my name on the forum 🙄
    I think the generosity was all on my side the price I sold them for.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the £92 is a genuinely low price I’d be more on the seller’s side now, esp after a month.

There’s **** all he can do to get any come back from his LBS after all.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

rob the price he paid is nothig to do with it, you sold something as working eprfectly, they dont, sort it. Or is that too simplistic? You accepted the price of 92.50, thats your fault if they are worth more than that!!

roblane65
    Free Member

NO I didn’t I sold a 2nd hand set of wheels with a honest description as to work carried out and desription,with no warranty implied or given or at at any point desribe any thing as perfect.

mk1fan
    Free Member

as working eprfectly,

Do you know something we don’t?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Question on Classified etiquette – bought faulty wheels’ is closed to new replies.