Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Question for the Ford Tech's out there
  • eruptron
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted two new tyres to my Focus 1.6d 61 plate (Toyo’s) the car drove fine before the tyres were fitted straight no problems.
    Now fitted the tyres. Put them on the front and switched the fronts onto the back. The ones on the back are 5mm all the same size 215/50 r17
    When I drive the car the streering is now out down to the right. I’ve done a 4 wheel alignment and only the toe on the o/s/f was out my a midges c*ck There are no fault memories stored and the steering angle shows 0 when the steering is straight.
    When I swap the wheels front to back the steering wheel the is out to the left which is weird to say the least.
    Anyone out there had this before?
    Thanks in advance a puzzled Steve

benji
    Free Member

Have you put directional tyres on in place of non-directional ones?

eruptron
    Free Member

Nope. There is no difference if you change the tyres left to right only front to back. This is the puzzling thing. 😯

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Modern cars wear their tyres very differently (front to rear), I thought it wasn’t recommended to swap front to back and back to front.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Worn wishbone bushes? You jack it up swap tyres drop it back down…moves the inboard bushes you drive it pulls to one side….repeat…..repeat….repeat……they wouldn’t necessarily affect the alignment until you accelerate or brake under static pressure…my theory and suggestion of course.

eruptron
    Free Member

Modern cars wear their tyres very differently (front to rear), I thought it wasn’t recommended to swap front to back and back to front

If i put the tyres that were on the back (originally on the front) back on to the front the car pulls the other way which is the part that’s got me stumped because the car ran perfectly straight before the two new tyres were fitted. So basically I have swaped them front to back and side to side and the steering only seems to have been effected new ones on rear steering wheel off to the left and new tyres on the front steering wheel off to the right.

Worn wishbone bushes? You jack it up swap tyres drop it back down…moves the inboard bushes you drive it pulls to one side….repeat…..repeat….repeat……they wouldn’t necessarily affect the alignment until you accelerate or brake under static pressure…my theory and suggestion of course

This is of course possible weird though how it’s move in such a way that the its allowed the steering wheel to move from left to right then back again. Guess it’s possible as the it’s been up on the ramp each time I’ve moved the wheels round.
    The car has only got 27k on the clock and there isn’t any feel-able play in the suspension.
    I’ll have to get it in the air again and see if anythings detached itself.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Maybe the old the were pulling to the left anyway but it happened so gradually that you didn’t notice. Fitting new tyres and effectively resetting the wear would have alerted you to a different feeling.

A bit like when you ride a bike with a wobbly crank, you don’t notice it until you ride a different bike with a straight crank.

I wouldn’t have thought the wishbone bushes had worn out in only 27k, the ones on my 07 Focus lasted 100k. You don’t have a load of speed bumps locally do you?

Earl
    Free Member

toyo cf1?

They did the same thing to my car. Replaced them and the problem went away.

eruptron
    Free Member

Maybe the old the were pulling to the left anyway but it happened so gradually that you didn’t notice. Fitting new tyres and effectively resetting the wear would have alerted you to a different feeling.

The car was running straight prior to the tyres being fitted.
    As mentioned I’ve carried out a 4 wheel alighnment, checked the steering angle sensor which is reading correct. The car 100% has only started faulting since the tyres were fitted.

Earl – Member
    toyo cf1?
    They did the same thing to my car. Replaced them and the problem went away.

They are Toyo Proxes C1S straight cut tread

Northwind

I think they’d fixed the demonic possession issue by the 61 plate but maybe…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Question for the Ford Tech's out there’ is closed to new replies.