• This topic has 35 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jond.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Question for all the ladies. (Clothing content).
  • Bunnyhop

As the summer fades and there's a chill in the air, one has to think about layering up.
    Up top is fine, however in the lower regions if I have to wear more than one layer it becomes increasingly uncomfortable. Even with suda creme (or other)
    For example tonight will be undershorts, tights and waterproof over shorts. All light and all hardly padded.
    The saddle is fine, one item is fine, 3 is starting to be annoying.
    Anyone else have the same problem?
    I find myself standing up alot.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My winter riding get up is smartwool merino leggings plus either running tights (so no padding) or softshell trousers. Never had any problems with this combo.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ditch the tights and use legwarmers instead?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bunnyhop

Good idea Jon. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

(wo)Man up and just go out in the same stuff you do in summer. If you're riding with any gusto you'll keep plenty warm enough.

mtbfix

I concur with Jon. In colder times I use my usual padded shorts with an unpadded tight. If it gets really cold I add knee/leg warmers under the tights. This avoids a cruel and unusual build up of padding.

Bunnyhop

Coffeeking – it was really polite of you to leave out he 'f'.
    Am a bit slow, even in the summer, so what is this 'gusto' you talk of?
    Also don't have a lot of natural padding, so get chilly pretty quickly.

clubber
    Free Member

Eat more pies then 🙂

are the tights padded? If so, non padded as suggested. Also why the baggies over everything else? Can't you just fit a crud guard?

scotty2
    Free Member

Shorts all year round. Don't have wet soggy clothing sticking to your legs then. If its really really really cold then cut the knees out of an old wetsuit and slide them up your legs and around yours knees before you put your boots on. Looks weird but very warm and stops your knees freezing solid.

Bunnyhop

It's raining here, also the tights aren't padded.
    Going to consider the legwarmers. Hopefully they'll stay up over my skinny pins.

domino

Don't you get really hot in shorts, tights and waterproof shorts? For this time of year, I wear 3/4 tights and baggies (unpadded).

The idea about the leg warmers is a good one or tights with a pad (Gore ones are comfy) and baggies rather than the three layers.

Bunnyhop

Normally 3/4 tights for autumn days, which ends up with 2 layers.
    For night rides I need to be warm.

(edit) What baggies do you wear Domino?

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I have some (northwave) padded winter biking tights. They are windproof and have a bit of fleecey lining – I rarely get too cold in them (in the Alps… with below freezing) and I don't think they were too expensive.

domino

Endura Singletracks – they come without a liner so you can wear whatever is comfiest underneath, they have leg vents you can unzip for summer and they sit higher at the back with a comfortable front. The only thing I am not keen on is the velcro fastening at the top of the zip sometimes catches on your jersey.

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – I know you wear the Gore Alp X which are great but perhaps the Gore full-length trousers might be better? That way, you can wear perhaps some lycra padded shorts (knee length or shorter) and still be warm and cosy.

I appreciate what you are saying about light and hardly padded but it will be very much a compromise. Knee warmers are a godsend, also have some Gore Windstopper leg warmers which are brilliant at keeping me warm but they can slip down 🙁

aleigh
    Free Member

i wear cycle shorts, leggings and baggies (nike gym stretchy things) – nice and toastie!

Bunnyhop

Thanks girls.

ART

BH I usually wear (under)shorts and baggies in the summer, and then just add knee/ legwarmers/ water proof shorts or trousers in the winter. Last year I bought some nice long pearl izumi socks (think lovely knee height look! ) off Minx which were brill too under the leg warmers.

trio25
    Free Member

leg warmers are great at this time of the year, but when it gets colder I need tights! I found wearing bib tights is comfier, but depends how often you need the toilet! As taking all the top layers off to pull your tights down is not fun in January!

Trekster

If it is really cold I pinch a pair of the wives tights :lol:. best thermal gear a lady has in her drawers ❗
    I also have some long ski/board socks from Lidl/Aldi and wear 3/4 length bibs to keep my back and knees warm. Also have some runners tights for expedition winter type rides.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking – it was really polite of you to leave out he 'f'.

Wouldn't want to swear in front of a lady 🙂

Am a bit slow, even in the summer, so what is this 'gusto' you talk of?

It's a big fat chap with a fur coat that follows you when you try harder 😆

Also don't have a lot of natural padding, so get chilly pretty quickly.

You need to exercise harder or eat more then – generate more heat for yourself. But if you're already being followed by a fat guy and don't wish to add more meat to your bones I suspect you may need to address the fact that tights, shorts and waterproof shorts are an odd combo that'll not be overly warm as they're not all full length items. Do your feet get cold first? I find feet are like radiators – if they get cold it chills the rest of me. IF they stay warm everything else copes fine.

ourmaninthenorth

Time for bunnyhop to invest in some decent bib shorts, and some nice toasty roubaix backed (bib) longs, preferably with a windproof out on the longs, which will cut down the chill enormously.

Sack off the baggies, and just fit a seatpost mounted mudguard. If it's night riding, none of the MTB fashion police will see, right?

If you're still cold, I can only recommend two things: (1) ride harder and don't stop or (2 give up riding a bike, and take up competitive pie shovelling.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cycling tights are the way forward. Just deal with the funny look – you'll appreciate the warmth 🙂

domino

The thing about bib tights though, how on earth do you deal with wee stops? 30 miles MTB ride last weekend, had a wee when I set off but still needed to stop twice on the ride, don't you have to partially undress to pull them down? I can imagine I'd end up giving someone an eyeful with a mistimed comfort break crouching the wrong side of a wall!

mtbfix

If you are worried about your skinny legs letting warmers slip down, have a look at Assos kit as their sizing is quite petite. The warmers they do also compare very favourably with the competition in terms of price.

Trekster

domino

Seems to be a biky problem, what do female kyakers do at the begining/end of a paddle?
    Cotswold ladies I was riding with on Tues did`nt seem to have a problem btw. Just carry some fem tissues 😳

Also seems to be a UK problem. When I was on holiday walking along a lakeside track beside a road a car drew into a lay-by, lady gets out with a handful of tissues and goes behind a tree. As we walked by we caught sight of her squatting and she flashed a lovely smile 💡

ebygomm
    Free Member

The problem isn't weeing outdoors, it's weeing outdoors whilst wearing bib tights.

It's not something I imagine is very easy, reckon it would require getting half undressed.

I can still remember weeing on the back of my dungarees age after a toilet stop 😳

watly_biker
    Free Member

I wear tights with padding and then some Loeka downhill 3/4 shorts on top which are waterproof – if you wear padded tights then you can loose a layer.

domino

Exactly ebygomm. There are some makes that seem to have a clip at the front, in the middle and then I guess you can then take the loop over your head with minimal undressing but I am not sure. Anyone care to explain how they manage? Funny how in the pics of most womens bib tights the women are covering their breasts, am sure it would be more advisable to ride in a sports bra 😕

ebygomm
    Free Member

There should have been an age 6 in that earlier post. Haven't worn dungarees for a long time

Bunnyhop

Yes the age old weeing problem.
    I do need a loo break more often than the chaps. Must be 'cos I drink more and have a small bladder (too much info probably). So bib tights are totally out of the question.

I think I'm confusing people by the fact I wear shorts under the tights, these are under shorts, a bit like soft cotton underpants but with padding. The tights I have are wonderful thermal one's with no padding, so thus the need for the comfy undershorts. However I have taken on board the need for crud catchers.

I love my gore over shorts which for the really bad weather are a must.

In effect |I really do need to woman up.

Dungarees. there's a thought.

AnaNichoola
    Free Member

Hey- don't mean to plug myself too hard…but I've made "kidney warmers" as an extra warm layer to cover that cold meaty bit on your lower back.
    They came about after 2 winters tying scarves around my waist!
    Selling online at the mo…
    ciao,
    A

benz
    Free Member

Decent 3/4 bib longs or full length roubaix material tights with decent insert. If windy or wet then pair of waterproof shorts over the top?

My wife who is also not overly padded seems to keep warm using this down to around -10 – coldest we ventured out in earlier this year – issue was face and lungs….

trio25
    Free Member

Bunnyhop I have to go for bibs when it gets colder, but yes the toilet thing is a faff! I wear a couple of layers under the bibs so I don't have to take everything off!

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Sorry to drag up an old post, but:

"I've made "kidney warmers" as an extra warm layer to cover that cold meaty bit on your lower back"

Sooo, let me get this straight, you've made kidney 'warmers', which sit on the sweatiest part of a mountain biker's body and underneath a pack, out of cotton?

Er, right.

And so moving swiftly on to proper clothes for riding bikes in…

These with one of these tucked into it are my winter base, worn down to -8 degrees so far and still warm enough with the usual multiple thin layers on top. Whether it's a hard day or a bimble.

If your undershorts are cotton based, as you hint above, ditch them and try wearing ordinary padded lycra shorts (like those you'd wear under your baggies in the summer) with your existing tights. Anything with a high cotton content makes for uncomfortable chafage. No reason to ditch the baggies but most discomfort when wearing multiple shorts is caused by multiple seams – add them up and you're effectively sitting on 10mm of seam or more. Ouch.

jond
    Free Member

re the weeing problem – just a thought, but have you tried normal skin shorts with tights over the top? – some years back when I was doing mtb orienteering (trailbreak thingies) I used a simple pair of braces to hold the shorts and tights up (mainly cos I had shorts rather than bib shorts). At least with those you can undo 'em relatively easy to slip them down for a quick pee.
    (I think I used to wear tights *under* shorts at one point, but have done the same more recently and it's felt like sandpaper 😮 – mebbe the saddle shape's different)

FWIW – Roubaix's great in the middle of winter, shorts+thin tights are fine now in the evening, shorts up to a few weeks ago. Oh, and a thermal under a s/s shirt will probably do from now till it gets a fair bit nippier so long as you're not dawdling

Dunno if you've come across 'em – but have a look at the Corinne Dennis gear – most of it is aimed at women. IFAIA they've stopped making 'em, but I've been wearing a CD women's roubaix-stylee top for years, picked up something similar a few years ago. Pity is they don't appear in many bike shops. Well worth checking out if you can find it, the fabrics are a bit different to the normal stuff available and more snag-resistant.

(And cotton for any exercise related gear is just wrong – gets damp and stays damp…)

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Question for all the ladies. (Clothing content).’ is closed to new replies.