Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Question about virgin broad band
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve got their 50 meg service which comes with a virgin branded G and N band router.
    If I’m plugged in via ethernet I get 50 meg (speedtest.net) no worries. I’ve never seen more than 25 meg on any of my laptops two of which are G band and one of which is N.
    I’m getting pissed off that I pay for something I never get any ideas how to fix or increase wireless speed?

Ta

brooess
    Free Member

I wrote to Virgin’s MD after never getting more than half a meg, when they advertised 10
    After weeks of dealing with the ‘priority’ customer services team who deal with complaints to the MD I went to O2.
    They were useless. Wasn’t their fault, apparently…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky. Most folks on BT can’t get 1meg on a wired connection.

wwaswas

I think the router always works a the speed of the slowest connected device so you’ll be gettign ‘G’ speeds.

Also check if a neghbour is on the same wireless channel – that’ll slow it all down.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

On another note my virgin broadband has been sporadic to say the least over the last 24 hours and one quick phone call later and I am given £10 off my bill and told it will be sorted in the 24 hours. That’s the second fault in six years. Not bad really considering some of the customer service horror stories that are thrown around on here.

lowey

Cable or ADSL ?

My cable service has been rock solidever since we got it back in NTL days. Always get bang on what we pay for.

wwaswas

given you’re getting the full 50mb when on a cable the issue is with the wi-fi connection from the router to the device, though, surely?

been pretty happy with my Virgin service for the 4 years I’ve been workign at home. I have a payg broadband dongle for emergencies but have only used it twice for less than a day on each occasion.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Think the maximum of G is 54meg in theory, don’t think you get that in real life though..

I always wonder though, what amount of stuff do you need to download to justify a 50meg connection, I’ve 10meg and can download stuff at 1.2mbits which is more than plenty.. time you make a cup of tea and had you dinner most things are downloaded.

Ewan
    Free Member

G band is only good for theoretical 54mb/s, and you won’t get anywhere near that in reality (25mb/s is perfectly resonable). If it’s providing 50mb/s when you’re plugged in then the issue isn’t with the connection or the router – it’s your laptops network card. To solve, upgrade them to N wifi cards / dongles….

binners

I was paying for 20meg on Virgin. I was actually getting 2mb!

How they can legally advertise these lies is beyond me. Wasn’t they meant to be trying to stop this claimed/actual discrepancy?

sobriety
    Free Member

Binners, were you paying for a 20 megabit connection and downloading at 2 megabytes per second?

If so then you were getting exactly what you paid for.

meehaja
    Free Member

Virgin media is usually a bit rubbish, and they don’t really care. Just be glad they didn’t run the wire along the top of your brick built BBQ! Kinda ruin summer knowing that a simple BBQ will destroy your internet connection!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Question about virgin broad band’ is closed to new replies.