Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replacing the chainring on Boost Crankset (SRAM GX 1400) ?
  • warns74
    Free Member

Hi, new to the whole Boost thing and am hoping for some help through the minefield….

I have a SRAM GX 1400 Boost crankset, which looks like you can either run as a conventional crank (with a 4 arm spider) or you can remove the spider and fit a direct mount chainring.

If I wanted to replace the chainring and continue to use the 4 arm spider, would I just use a standard narrow-wide ring? (i.e. is the 3mm offset built into the spider?)

Alternatively, if I remove the 4 arm spider and fit a direct mount ring, would I then just source a BOOST compatible chainring, i.e. with the 3mm offset built in?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

joemmo
    Free Member

yes, either of those should be fine if its specifically a boost spider. FYI the SRAM steel chainrings are a good replacement and you can get the newer eagle tooth profile in direct mount.

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks joemmo, I’m assuming the spider has the boost offset as it says “boost 148” on the side. I’m thinking about using a direct mount blackspire snaggletooth and looks like they do a SRAM compatible one with the 3mm offset. Otherwise I have a lightly used standard 30T ring from a non-boost GX crank which should hopefully work with the spider.

I’m about to build up the parts onto a frame and want to make sure I’ve got the right bits beforehand!

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Seriously, if you’re going for a DM ring, get the SRAM steel one. The weight penalty is about the same as a bag of crisps, it’ll outlast any alloy ring, and they’re £15!

warns74
    Free Member

Are the steel ones okay for 11 speed, the ones I’ve found suggest they’re 12 speed?

joebristol

I don’t think it matters if it’s technically 12 speed. I’ve got direct mount x-sync 2 chainrings with the eagle teeth on both my bikes. Both are sram gx 11 speed setups.

One is steel and 1 is alloy but too new to see how much worse the alloy one is going to wear. The steel ones do go on forever though – really tough.

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks all, appreciate the help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replacing the chainring on Boost Crankset (SRAM GX 1400) ?’ is closed to new replies.