Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Question about computer back ups
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have a wireless back up hard drive . seagate something or other and just used the backup software that came with that which is memeo.

Is there a way of automatically backing up new files from this point onwards rather than backing up everything? I already have a full backup of my desktop but this is for my laptop – there is about 250 gb of music and films that are on my laptop a large amount of which are also on the desktop (and also therefore on the backup drive) so i dont need to shift this over. But would like to have an automatic back up of new files from now onwards, however i cant find this option.

I realise this is probably a stupid question with an easy solution but ive been staring at the screen and going through menus for the last 20 minutes and havent been able to work it out 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Backup software will be incremental. So it only records whats changed, and only the changed bits.

The backup software will do what you want. If it’s not new it won’t be included.

At least, that’s how it should work – Windows does. It’s called ‘incremental backup’.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have the incremental backups on my main computer, but it is backing up new files from my laptop that i was hoping to do. The music / video files are the same but as they are two different devices the backup drive doesnt know they are the same (if that makes sense)

Maybe something i need to do manually rather than automatic?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    irelanst
    Free Member

If the files are the same on the laptop as the desktop, you could sync them using livemesh or similar and backup just one of them (desktop probably)?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well you can exclude or include folders in the backup tool, so just don’t select the folders with the music/pics in.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure if any home backup software includes it but this would generally come under dedupe functionality in backup software

Cougar

you could sync them using livemesh

Live Mesh is officially dead. Skydrive replaced it.

druidh
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Question about computer back ups’ is closed to new replies.