Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Question about bottom bracket threads and cups
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

I had my frame powdercoated, and after specifically asking the bloke not to get it in the BB threads, hanger threads etc etc, he put paint everywhere!

Now i'm not complaining about this because he only charged me 20 quid 😆

However, when rebuilding it came to putting the BB cups in, and i figured just use some strength and it will chase the paint out of the threads… Needless to say it didnt. I've knackered the threads on my cups and hence booked the frame in to have the threads properly chased at my LBS.

Now my question is will i be ok to screw the knackered cups in? Or should i buy new cups? I dont want to go ruining my nice new clean threads if possible, but i also dont really want to shell out on new cups.

Your thoughts, advice and opinions please!

James

alpin
    Free Member

new cups….£20? maybe the bike shop has some old ones lying around that you could fit the new bearings into?*

*not sure if that is possible….

Jammy111
    Free Member

alpin, cheers for the response. i was more wanting a reply as to whether it will damage the newly chased threads by screwing a bottom bracket with knackered threads in.

James

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

It depends what material your frame is. If steel then probably no, but the damaged one may come loose. If alloy then quite possibly yes. Either way a new BB will be the best route to peace of mind.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Don't bodge it, spend a bit of cash and do it properly.

odannyboy
    Free Member

you could damage the frame and how much would that cost to replace??
    20 quid?? doubt it..think on..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Question about bottom bracket threads and cups’ is closed to new replies.