Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Query on presence of red painted ‘lane’ in local town
  • kcal

Had a very close pass on Saturday while cycling short distance through a local (but not my) town. The lane is one of those abominations that is just the normal road lane, narrowed by dint of a rubbish red painted part, and dotted line. It’s awful – over multiple drain covers, lampposts, and entrance / exit to local garage. Then a T junction, and restarts again for a bit.

I’m sure it means well, but my close pass was a small car that chugged past me as I was on the dotted line – but presumably with the thinking that he had given me room as dictated by road layout. Crap design + crap driving. Car brushed past me..

So – how do I go about raising this with local council – handy to know phrases such as ‘signed off’, ‘design criteria’ and ‘suitable’. I have email address for transportation and sustainability folk, it’s on a Sustrans route so maybe copy them too?

Anyone tried to get this sort of thing painted out or resolved? In Scotland if that matters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clover
    keithb

Give up now.

I challenged and complained to me local authority after the resurfaced the main road by me in 2015, and repainted the <1m cycle lanes in the same place.  Went to ombudsman as they couldn’t justify why they’d done it, and not reinstated to current guidance. They promised to re-paint the layout by end of FY17-18, and I’m still in discussion with them regarding their proposals!

It’s taken days of my time and I’m gong to end up with slightly wider cycle lanes that the traffic will just encroach on, potentially making it worse for cyclists!  Basically it comes down to costs and waiting on some sort of government pot to do the improvements.  If they’d just thought for 5 minutes 5 years ago, there would’ve been no extra cost!!!!

Sorry. Ranted a bit there….

keithb

Oh, and my authority is ignoring everything other than “manual for streets chapter 3” whatever that is, despite me pointing them in the direction of cycle specific guidance for 5 years!

Superficial
    Free Member

I reported something yesterday using http://www.fixmystreet.com/

It was very easy and I got a same-day response from the local council. Whether they do anything is another matter. I like to think the number of complaints about rubbish bike lanes affects infrastructure planning in the future. I know it probably doesn’t.

What I learnt is that dotted line bike lanes are basically worthless. You can drive in them, park in them. They’re a waste of red paint, used as lip service to the notion of safer cycling and probably do more harm than good in many cases (as OP describes).

MoreCashThanDash

Dotted line cycle lanes are just dangerous and should be banned or abandoned.

Mister-P
    Free Member

What MoreCash said. Horrible things that actually cause close passes in my experience.

kcal

cheers @Clover. That looks pretty good (looks like mine comes under advisory and so all bets are off!).

Agreed with MoreDash and Mister above. Poor driving but I did end up emailing them, and pointing out that the design encourages that style of driving. Not good.

nbt

They’re known as “murderstrips” in belgium / holland, and for good reason

Clover

@keithb – the new guidelines I linked to were published at the end of July this year. They are there for you to lay out chapter and verse to your local authority. There is a cycle infrastructure inspectorate that will oversee designs. Keep the pressure up. You will win.

https://cyclingindustry.news/active-travel-england-created-to-oversee-uk-govs-2bn-cycling-and-walking-investment/

keithb

Thanks Clover
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>Unfortunately the council are massively budget constrained on my scheme (which I think they could’ve sorted out in the past 5 years but hay-ho), but they are hoping to get some major funding for the area in “tranche 3” of (I think) active travel funding.   So basically the plan is to do something a bit shit now (upgrading <1m advisory lanes to 1.5m minimum mandatory lanes) and get a larger more comprehensive scheme through central funding later.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>In fairness the road is very busy and has several complex junctions, and some existing poor-quality pavement cycle routes that don’t really go anywhere useful (NCN route 6).   So any significant upgrade will likely be millions, but it’s on a direct route from Nottingham-Derby so forms part of a strategic network being built at either end…</div>

MoreCashThanDash

*Tries to identify the specific problem area that keithb is talking about, but gives up because it’s all pretty shit along there*

But Long Eaton/Chilwell is my first guess

twisty

Traffic signs manual Chapter 3 is code of practice for regulatory signs, essentially DfT’s how-to guide for regulatory signs from the TSRGD which arbitrators refer to when considering appeals to civil enforcement penalties… You could ask who is the designer/CDM principal designer and why aren’t they applying any other industry COP.

At first glance the new cycling LTN looks decent but if you want to argue that the design was deficient then you need to refer to codes existent while it was being designed.

Other things that can helo get things done.
    – Is there a local cycling advocacy group you can liaise with?
    – Find out what the councils/departments KPI’s are and how they’re measured.
    – Engage with local councillors, and/or if relevant councillor with transport portfolio.
    – Engage with MP
    -Raise a petition, get it raised as agenda item in cabinet meeting.
    – Above all else, publicity. Fix my street works to an extent but big social media groups/newspapers better.

Superficial
    Free Member

I reported something yesterday using http://www.fixmystreet.com/

It was very easy and I got a same-day response from the local council. Whether they do anything is another matter. I like to think the number of complaints about rubbish bike lanes affects infrastructure planning in the future. I know it probably doesn’t.

So a bump to say I’m eating my words. Two weeks ago, I reported a stretch of road where the bike lane (and all of the pavement) was completely blocked by parked cars. I got a reply saying that the cars were parked legally so there was nothing they could do. I replied saying it was ridiculous that both the footway and bike lane were obstructed so that people could park their cars – why bother providing a bike lane or pavement if this behaviour is acceptable?

Anyway, the council has since been along and painted double yellow lines and now the bike lane is open for business!

Credit where it is due – well done on this Sheffield City Council.

MoreCashThanDash

Well done for raising it with them and sticking at it, and fair play to the council for sorting it out.

tuboflard

Credit where it is due – well done on this Sheffield City Council.

SCC Cabinet Member (Bob Johnson) for Transport in Sheffield is serious about cycling and notwithstanding the recent issues on Shalesmoor, I believe they are trying hard to improve cycling in the city. The next phase of work under the emergency active travel funding for Covid-19 should be another step forward.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Query on presence of red painted ‘lane’ in local town’ is closed to new replies.