Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Queenstown downhill…… will I die?
  • batfink
    Free Member

Moved down-under a few months ago, and am looking at taking a weekend in Queenstown to do some biking. Looked at the resort guides/maps, but not really done much DH type stuff before, so want to know if I’m going to die.

Before I moved out here I was mainly found pottering around swinley, and the usual Welsh trail centres. Done PPDS twice, and last year did a few runs on the red (?) run down into the Chavanettes chair while I was there (and loved it)

Will I be completely out of my depth? Are most of the trails roll-able? The only time I get air is when I’m on my way otb….

Many people been? Opinion/insight needed!

stevious

I was there just before xmas with my wife. She rode Hammy’s track and a couple of the blue ones on her hardtail with no problems. Hammy’s track is very well designed in that it’s rewarding no matter what speed you’re doing (although you CAN nail down it at Mach 3 if you want).

EDIT: There are lots of optional bits on Hammy’s. Apparently they’re a common source of injury due to people underestimating them – they’re not part of the grade ‘3’ trail!

If you rent a bike from one of the shops in Queenstown you’re likely to get pads & full-face helmet thrown in. You can rent these separately too.

Be aware that they close the trails if its too wet – some locals pointed us to the 7 mile trails out on the Glen Orchy road which are apparently fair game when the weather’s bad (albeit quite a bit tougher then when they’re dry).

mbl1
    Free Member

just make sure you end your run at Fergburger. Mmmmmm

mbl1
    Free Member

just make sure you end your run at Fergburger. Mmmmmm

bigrich

http://www.queenstownbiketaxis.co.nz jono will sort you out

mikeyp

Rode a half day there just before Christmas. It is a DH track but if you are ok with steep stuff you’ll be ok. It’s a great opportunity to rent a DH bike ($130 for half day including lift pass from vertigo). On a proper DH bike it’s much easier due to the slacker angles and soaking up of breaking bumps. Trails wise avoid world cup as its a rooty steep jump fest, ride hammys, vertigo, original and then try a black such as thingamajig. You’ll be poked after 4 hours. Great fun, fantastic views.

gazc
    Free Member

Its good – if you’ve ridden PDS downhills you’ll be fine. I rode the black/DH runs mainly on a rented Glory from Vertigo, and they chucked in knee pads/full face too. Try the miners path trail too if you can sort an uplift. Grundy was my favorite, steep off camber root fest 😀

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I went 20 months ago. I also used Vertigo bikes. We spent most of the day on the Black runs (and my mate was a complete novice). When we were exhausted, we switched onto the blue run. I actually preferred the blue run, it was more fun.

In short, nothing to worry about. I can second the Fergburger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Queenstown downhill…… will I die?’ is closed to new replies.