Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Queens Speech
  • frankconway

Well that was short – and completely uninformative or should I say they represent a gov bereft of ideas and/or restricted by the DUP.
    Eight bills out of 24 are brexit-based and would have been covered if the speech had emanated from a labour gov.
    As for the other 16, they are uninspiring padding.
    Brenda must be asking herself ‘why did i bother? Could have been studying the form for Ascot this afternoon’.

Harry_the_Spider

She could have been in hospital with Prince Phil who was taken in last night.

aracer
    Free Member

Watch out for the stuff they’re sneaking in – the civil liabilities thing could make it difficult to claim against drivers who knock you off, from what I remember of comments I’ve seen.

Klunk
    Free Member

skinner vs black rod

Get your skates on! first race is half past 2

1980 Labour MPs blocked Black Rod’s path.
    1987 “Tell her to sell up!”
    1988 “Ey up, here comes Puss In Boots!”
    1989 “Oh, it’s a good outfit!”
    1990 “It tolls for thee, Maggie.”
    1992 “Tell her to pay her taxes.”
    1993 “Back to basics with Black Rod.”
    1995 & 1996 “New Labour, New Black Rod.”
    1997 “Do you want to borrow a Queen’s Speech?”
    2000 “Tell her to read the Guardian.”
    2001 “You’re nowt but a midget!”
    2003 “Did she lock the door behind her?”
    2005 “Has she brought Camilla with her?”
    2006 “Have you got Helen Mirren on standby?”
    2007 “Who shot the harriers?”
    2008 “Any Tory moles at the palace?”
    Black Rod: “I’m going to miss you Dennis.”
    2009 “Royal expenses are on the way.”
    2010 “No Royal Commissions this week.”
    2012 “Jubilee year, double dip recession. What a start” – prompted Tory cries of “shame!”
    2013 “Royal Mail for sale. Queen’s head privatised.”
    2014 “Coalition’s last stand.”
    2016 “Hands off the BBC!”

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Watch out for the stuff they’re sneaking in – the civil liabilities thing could make it difficult to claim against drivers who knock you off

I would imagine it’s being brought in aimed at the organised gangs who engineer an accident where you crash into the back of their car then they, their family, friends, relations all claim whiplash on your insurance.

bigrich

how much of the manifesto was in there?

tjagain

bigrich – hard to tell as the tories have erased the manifesto from their webpage

welshfarmer

I did like the EU flag inspired hat though. Nice touch

slowoldman

I did like the EU flag inspired hat though. Nice touch

Oh yes, I’d missed that. I wondered why she was not wearing a crown and there’s the answer. The House of Windsor is (not altogether surprisingly) pro Europe.

GrahamS
    nickc

Well that was short –

wanting to get off to the races?

bails

I would imagine it’s being brought in aimed at the organised gangs who engineer an accident where you crash into the back of their car then they, their family, friends, relations all claim whiplash on your insurance

That’s the stated intention, but if you make it harder to claim for injuries caused in a collision then you make it harder for genuine victims to claim as well as the fraudsters

jamj1974

Queens Speech

Is the staggeringly inferior sequel to the crowd-pleasing 2010 Colin Firth vehicle?

Rating: Two Thumbs Down.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Queen could teach some of our STW trolls a thing or three judging by her outfit today.

Queen backs Brexit my arse.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I don’t doubt that bails. But it should help stop these scammers ruining it for the rest of us.

scotroutes

😆

kimbers

good spot from gideon, no immigration pledge either

binners
    matt_outandabout

She could have been in hospital with Prince Phil who was taken in last night

🙁

kimbers

good summary of why the QS shows the Tories still dont understand why theyve lost ground to labour

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/21/what-queens-speech-needed-to-say-but-didnt

maccruiskeen

Well that was short – and completely uninformative

Their manifesto in full then?

slowoldman

I thought it was disrespectful to force the Queen to use the “B” word.

Also “Prince Philip and I look forward to welcoming Their Majesties King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain on a State Visit in July”. But no mention of Trump’s visit!

maccruiskeen

bigrich – hard to tell as the tories have erased the manifesto from their webpage

They love deleting stuff don’t they – such as all their speeches – ‘Judge us on our record’ as Amber Rudd would say 🙂
    Seems strangely at odds with the records they want to compel everyone else to keep.

BoardinBob

If the Queens speech vote even passes I give the whole thing 2 months max.

Klunk
    Free Member

what would the mail, express and sun do if the queen said they should cancel brexit ? it would be funny to watch.

She could have been in hospital with Prince Phil who was taken in last night.

I can just imagine his reaction if she was: “Bugger off you stupid woman and go to the races”

jambalaya
    Free Member

We where told Brexit would be so complicated that we would not have the rescouces to manage it in 2 years. Now we have a Queems speech that prioritises Brexit and that’s a problem ?

Given the complexities the programme is pretty full. Lots if debate options for bills on agriculture, fisheries, citizens rights etc

A free vote on Fox Hunting was in tje last 2 Tory manifestos in 2010 and 2015 and never made the Queens Speech. But hey that’s not the story here though …

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Boarding it will pass easily, with or without a deal the DUP will do all they can to orevent a Corbyn/McDonnell govt. iId be surprised if there where even a vote on much after the speech and before the summer recess. I can’t see how the Labour Partyncould manufacture a confidence vote much before November.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@maccruisken surely you downloaded your copy 😉 ? Corbyn likes a good web page / blog clearout especially years worth of pesky anti-EU rants

jambalaya
    Free Member

The BBC leaked that the Queen was a Leaver, I am sure she was more than happy to say Brexit and read out the legislation to make it happen

kimbers

I can’t see how the Labour Partyncould manufacture a confidence vote much before Novemb

if you say its november,

September it is then!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

kimbers

The Green party’s Caroline Lucas congratulates Theresa May for turning up, unlike during the election, when she did not turn up to the debates. Yet there is nothing about climate change in the Queen’s speech. Is that because she has been influenced by the DUP “dinosaurs”.

The DUP’s Jeffrey Donaldson uses a point of order to complain about Lucas calling the DUP “dinosaurs”. He says the DUP’s energy policy represents what people in Northern Ireland want.

John Bercow, the speaker, says the term “dinosaur” is not unparliamentary. He says dinosaurs survived for very many years.

😆

LET THE TORY TOXIFICATION CONTINUE!

aracer
    Free Member

The Right Honourable member for Buckingham is good value sometimes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    The BBC leaked that the Queen was a Leaver, I am sure she was more than happy to say Brexit and read out the legislation to make it happen

How sure ?

Tell us just How Sure you are.

We’d be interested to know..

##

jimw
    Free Member

Just listening to Boris being interviewed by Eddie Mair on R4

It isn’t going well for one of them.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Jeezers, if Boris Johnson submitted that R4 interview for his GCSE Media Studies he’d be lucky to scrape a D Grade… Certainly wouldn’t achieve a Pass…

matt_outandabout

😆 at Bercow and Lucas…

igm

Chapeau Lizzie

GrahamS

The BBC leaked that the Queen was a Leaver

Cite!

Been reading The Sun again jamba?

Sun’s Queen Brexit headline ruled ‘misleading’

The Sun breached press regulations with its front page headline suggesting the Queen was in favour of the UK leaving the EU, the press watchdog has ruled.
    The headline, “Queen backs Brexit”, published on March, was “significantly misleading”, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) said.
    Reporting its decision, Ipso said the article itself did not breach the Editor’s Code of Practice, but “the headline went much further than a claim about what the Queen might think”.

“It was a factual assertion that the Queen had expressed a position in the referendum debate, and there was nothing in the headline, or the manner in which it was presented on the newspaper’s front page, to suggest that this was conjecture, hyperbole, or was not to be read literally,” it said.
    Ipso added that “it did not follow from the comments the article reported that the Queen wanted the UK to leave the EU as a result of the referendum: that suggestion was conjecture” and was “significantly misleading – given that it suggested a fundamental breach of the Queen’s constitutional obligations”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36319085

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Queens Speech’ is closed to new replies.