Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • Queen Elizabeth Country Park QECP trail building
  • mgbudd
    Free Member

Yeah was up tonight and struggled for grip in places !!!! Nice evening though, loving the trail

smiff
    Free Member

haha you’ve really got to watch your tyres in QE, and then slow down some on the hard chalk. something tacky for the wet, but not spiky (just skates). Bonty mudX or 42a minions are good choices.
    When’s next dig Scott? end of the month?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Was there a couple of days ago.

First time I rode it must have been about 3 years ago. Was on a downhill bike which didn’t help but was pretty good.

Went back again with my hard-tail after hearing about the improvements and it was awesome! Was a very wet day and we got completely soaked, but was one of the best days riding I have had for a long time! I miss a bit of mud! Don’t get much of it in North Wales where I live.

Taff
    Free Member

Was using mud-Xs tonight and still found it hard for grip. Couldn’t make it up the little steep hill after the switchbacks!!

Was it anyone off here who took the mick as I passed them… heard something about being overtaken by a Welshman

smiff
    Free Member

Taff, last month that was so easy you could just pick any line up there and go. i was running crossmark/aspen and laughing ‘cos it was suddenly so easy to clear. all of it, whole trail is massively easier dry tbh. in general, QE = scary in the wet, but good for your skills. some ways this is nice because it’s different every time you go. but only when dry can you really let rip in there. maybe it’s just me and lack of balance/skills.
    as i live here i have the opposite problem – learning to trust the tyres more when i go to Wales! you guys have some magic grippy wet rocks.

Taff
    Free Member

Yeah I know what you mean. Had dry tyres on for the past few weeks and been hammering it around then today it was like having the brakes on. A cold doesn’t help either really

scottfitz
    Free Member

Next dig is next weekend 21st & 22nd April. Meeting out side centre 10.30.

Tyre choice is important at QE. If its wet/mud I run mud x and anything else nobby nics. Or if its really dry/dusty something fast rolling.

Taff
    Free Member

Been runnin captains an fast traks when dry… Super quick… Just not qui k enough accordin to Strava!

DT78
    Free Member

Well took a little trip there today. Absolutely fantastic, really like what you guys have done with the final descent…got a bit carried away on the last built up berm and got full on 2 wheel drift and almost high sided in front of loads of people…and thats in the dry with mud x’s on.

Loved it, ended up doing 5 loops, shame I’m not about for the endurance race you’ve got planned in May. I would have definitely entered.

Not sure if there is a strava segement for the new final descent yet, but managed 8th on the penultimate descent, which isn’t bad for an anthem with the saddle at full height and dodging other riders !

superfli
    Free Member

DT78, were you riding with another guy on a HT? He was a bit of a newbie? You on a white Anthem?
    If so, we were the 4 guys that were chatting at the start of the first table top section (at the drop in). We were guiding an journalist round and explaining what we had built – he seemed impressed and liked the trails 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Oh for the love of god I’m now 12th on that descent!

DT78
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like me, my anthem is an 09 x1 so orange/white/silver. First 3 loops I was belting round on my own, next 2 laps was with my mate on his orange patriot 66 who insists on grinding round with only 9 gears and wonders why he suffers 🙂

I was there 11.30 to 3ish – Wearing black kit / white helmet if that helps 🙂

I’m really impressed, it is a fantastic training loop now, I am aiming to get under 30min loops by the end of summer, but every time I go you guys have made it longer (!)

It is definitely more popular too. I used to remember not seeing a single rider a few years back

Not sure about hitting those berms at pace in the wet though!

Where was the journalist from?

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry Taff 🙂

Appears I’m 3rd on the overall trail to, but that is a time from when I last rode there in October, and the track is different now, not sure why it’s still showing that one. I’d be 6th with my times from today.

Taff
    Free Member

That’s fine… I’m second on that but want a KOM!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Im 6th on the penultimate descent but that was on my singlespeed 😉

The journalist was from MBR.

Great to see so many people having fun on bikes at the park today.

Don’t forget Its the dig next weekend, if anyone could spair a couple of hours that would be great. Still lots to do before the launch on 19th of May.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m not on overall orange trail apparently, must be cos i have been riding the red trail for last 6 months. Full trail is on the new website:
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/

gribble
    Free Member

Rode the trail today – congrats to the team on the new trail, much improved.

scottfitz
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/255358/
    New Vid Pre veiw of most of the new bits on the new red trail.
    Trail launch will be at The QE Cycle Fest 19th & 20th May 2012.

Also at the The QE Cycle Fest there is MBUK Royal Rumble 4 hour Enduro MTB Race. Some of the trail builders will be racing :-).
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/78220/MBUK-4-hour-Enduro

jedi

see you on the 19th 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Free camping too at QE that w/e! Its going to be sunny as well, there cant possibly be more water up in them skies 😉

fitz4x4
    Free Member

Looks like an epic weekend. Should be a great evening on Saturday with the Enduro race and the Flower Pots pub running a beer tent not to mention live bands,, don’t miss it!

mattbee

Beer tent? All of a sudden my race entry seems like more of a good idea…

superfli
    Free Member

My idea is better. Dont race and drink beer+eat burgers instead 🙂

mattbee

Entering a race is not necessarily the same as racing…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Entering a race is not necessarily the same as racing…

+1

I will be happy if i don’t finish last!!! 😕

scottfitz
    Free Member

Exempt clothing have very kindly let the QECP trail Collective us there Gazebo/Markey to promote us and what we do at the Hargrove’s demo day on Sunday.
    (I will be there for most of the day with the exempt boy) 🙂

Craig has made a donation box for the trails, so spread the word all week to everyone if they want to donate any money they can.

Also I have sorted out with Hargrove’s that exempt are aloud to sell there merchandise on the day, So if your interested in buy some SICK/DENCH t-shirts they will be available, Check out there range online: http://exemptclothing.co.uk/

tomstickland
    Free Member

Hi there, was down for the MBUK Royal Rumble and the demo day this weekend.
    Photos here: http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/qe-cycle-fest-mbuk-royal-rumble-2012/

Have you got an up to date trail map anywhere online?

scottfitz
    Free Member
    smiff
    Free Member

that map is even a little out of date already? the race extended the singletrack climb to war down nicely for us 🙂
    edit: map is roughly right, all climbs except one are nice singletrack through the trees now.

also forecast for next week is excellent so conditions should be good for anyone just to ride the red next weekend.

DezB
    Free Member

Trail map

Ah, so that was the t-shirt I saw people wearing.. All the years I’ve been going there and never noticed it was that shape!

smiff
    Free Member

well it wasn’t.. the right “ear” is all new. we think it looks like the Donnie Darko rabbit :p
    if you like the visuals support the guys at exempt they’re good guys, they care about the quality and it’s a hard business making money on clothing like this.

scottfitz
    Free Member

that map is even a little out of date already?

we will have to re GPX it this week! Also stick the new route on strava!

scottfitz
    Free Member

QECP Dig Weekend 16th & 17th June, Meeting at main centre at 10.30 both days, Bring a bit of lunch, tea and coffee will be provided. 😀

Plan is for most people to work on pumptrack/ skills area and a small team patch up the red trail.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

scottfitz – popped down Sunday for the first time in a couple of years – ace fun on all the new stuff! Well done to all involved 😀

Was mega slippy!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Was mega slippy!

Tell me about it, How much rain in june! 😥

richen987
    Free Member

was there ever any pro-pics from the mtb race the other week? got bored of searching from them, this thread has reminded me about it.
    any one have a link to them would be good to see them.
    cheers

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Tell me about it, How much rain in june!

Not stopped here at home since I got back Sunday afternoon – the bike is still sat in the dining room… Out on the SS tonight and my new leakproof winter boots won’t arrive till tomorrow 🙁

scottfitz
    Free Member

got bored of searching from them, this thread has reminded me about it.

Me too, can’t find any. I know Tom Grundy was taking pics but i can find them on the web.

Got some of the QECP trail collective guy’s racing but thats it.

exemptclothing
    Free Member

Scott i know Tom was filming/shooting for Hargroves, maybe ask them

scottfitz
    Free Member

I did, i thinks he was filming mainly but did take some pics. tom was on hols the week after the event. I will email hargroves now.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Queen Elizabeth Country Park QECP trail building’ is closed to new replies.