Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Queen Elizabeth Country Park QECP trail building
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi Guys

We have been in talks with QECP for a bit about trail building in the park.

We have sorted out some dig days to maintain and extend the trails.

The next dig day is Sat 13th & Sun 14th August if anyone is interested in helping out.

We are meeting in the main car park at 10.15 and the plan is to start a new bit of trail to cut out a fire road down on the orange trail.

For more info contact me at qecptrailbuilding@yahoo.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/pages/QECP-Mountain-bike-trail-building/256968874329819

Cheers

Scott

rups
    Free Member

hey! sorry, but I wont be able to make it this weekend. the last couple of digs were very productive and I’m looking forward to coming next month 😀

rups

365punter
    Free Member

I should be able to make one of these days – probably Sunday. Loads of work’s gone into this so far and the trails are getting so much better!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cool the more we get the better

scottfitz
    Free Member

Next dig weekend is 10th & 11th sept 2011

Trail digging weekend @ QECP. We will be Putting in some tabletops and more burms to the newest section of the orange trail. Meet main car park at 10.30 both days. Any help would be great.

scottfitz
    Free Member

pics from last dig day

warton
    Free Member

may I suggest somewhere on either here or your facebook page you say where this magical queen elizabeth country park is?

superfli
    Free Member

Its Hampshire, south of Petersfield. If you havent heard of it, chances are you are not local at all, so please ignore.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Right. Was confused with Queen Elizabeth Forest Park for a bit there.
    Just to join in the vibe, I’m not going to say where that is either.

warton
    Free Member

And I was confused with Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee country park in , so I couldn’t ignore it!

EDIT I’m not saying where my Queen Elizabeth park is either…

Bez

may I suggest somewhere on either here or your facebook page you say where this magical queen elizabeth country park is?

It’s here.

Haven’t ridden QE for a while but the last time I did saw some new bits extending the A3 singletrack going to the rooty climb. Where are the bits shown in the photo’s above?

scottfitz
    Free Member

After the rooty climb, up the fire road climb and its on your right. It is being sign posted to day.

Cool I think I know where you mean will have get me arse in gear and have a go on all your hard work. Kept up boys I will have to see if I get some spare time and join you on your dig days.

With all this work you are doing is there any plans of pushing any new/recutting trails in other parts of the park like re-vitalising the old DH track that runs down by the quarry?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Possibly there are lots of plans/ideas. The park want us to work on the existing trails at the moment. There will.be a big meeting at the park at soon point. We are concentrating on the orange trail for now with will be a red in the near future. Then a green and a blue trail to replace the purple.

RealMan
    Free Member

Will be up for helping once I’m able to. Really enjoy the trails there, just don’t get out there often enough.

Sorry about all the question Scott but you seem to know a lot whats going on. Are they happy as can be for the already existing off piste trails (Buriton Trail) to still remain or is there pressure to close these as there are new legal stuff and original trail renovation?

As said before I can get some spare time I will try and get involved more.

scottfitz
    Free Member

They don’t want them to be ridden, as always. We will try and get them to let is us them in a red/black trail but as I said we don’t want to push it. If you come along one dig day we can explain all the plans.

On another note there are some of us going up there on Friday afternoon for a bit of a dig 4 o’clock at the new bit of trail.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Some stats about the new section

1.1km long

Elev gained 47m

Max elev 274m

Min elev 253m

By scottfitz at 2011-08-17

metamuppet
    Free Member

Hi Scott, I have been wanting to help with the trails at QE since I have been riding there!

I was planning on a ride on Friday, so I figure I will do just that till you arrive and then I will gladly muck in. Car park at 4? I am very keen to get involved and I will do so at every opportunity, be nice to give something back.

Taff
    Free Member

Going to have to pop up there. Not ridden the park for ages

corroded
    Free Member

Been a few years since I rode the QECP and looks like it’s due a visit. Nice work by the trail builders, it’s great to see something happening there. Sadly, thanks to a 8-8 job, I’m weekends only these days but I can still ride there from my house, just.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi Scott, I have been wanting to help with the trails at QE since I have been riding there!

I was planning on a ride on Friday, so I figure I will do just that till you arrive and then I will gladly muck in. Car park at 4? I am very keen to get involved and I will do so at every opportunity, be nice to give something back.

We are meeting up the new bit of trail because we have a couple of peeps coming at different times.

By scottfitz at 2011-08-17

abatty

Nice work guys, rode your new section this a/noon – great stuff 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Great work….i rode QECP last week and loved it, very short but did a couple of laps instead to make the mileage.

I remember riding there 10 years ago and it was rubbish….will try and come along to the dig days when i’m free.

scottfitz
    Free Member

yer we rode it tonight. the bit thats cut in and burmed is great, can’t wait to finish it off. 🙂

mattbee

So it’s you guys doing the work then! Rode there a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the new bit on the A3 singletrack; if the rest of your plans are similar it should mean some great additions the park has needed for ages.
    At BBB this weekend but I’ll definately be along to help at a later date if required.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Any help on 10th and or 11th would be great.

mattbee

Working 11th but 10th now in my diary.

scottfitz
    Free Member

There will be a dig weekend ever 4 weekends until the park say stop build those massive jumps and Burms in our woods.

scottfitz
    Free Member

So who is coming on the 10th and 11th of September?

mattbee

Me and a friend for Sat 10th, work allowing.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ll be there on 11th Scott. Should hopefully be with a couple of other regular QE bikers

DT78
    Free Member

Just thought I’d post a thankyou to you chaps hard work.

After reading this I thought I would make the trip to check it out, I used to ride there regulary about 5 years ago whenever I needed to train up for events.

Got to say it is massively better, it always upset me that my hard earned climbing disappeared in a straight down the hill run. The long offcamber section was interesting on my 2.1 RR’s! Some pretty tough climbs too with those tight switchbacks, was kind of wishing I had a smaller granny (using 26 at mo)

One thing to ask – is the trail now both directions? I actually met more people coming down the climbs to the car park. One guy nearly took me out.

I was also surprised at how quiet the trail was despite the car park being rammed. I always remember having to dodge dogs/walkers. Must be now you’ve moved the trail and it is obviously waymarked they are avoiding it.

Anyways good work guys, post up here the dig days, if I can get the weekend free from the family for more than a couple of hours I’ll help out

Taff
    Free Member

DT78 the trails have been really quiet every time I’ve been there too for the last couple of years. There was one Sunday when I saw more running and walkers on the tracks than cyclists.

Signage for tracks only goes one way but there wasn’t a stipulation on the boards to say you must go in a certain direction just one to say keep to the tracks. I’m pretty guilty of doing some of the tracks the wrong way round though

scottfitz
    Free Member

The trails are ment to be one way. That’s why we need to improve the downs so people don’t need to use up’s as down’s. The first climb is an ok down (yes I have ridden it that way) but its a better climb and bit dangerous to ride it as a down in the day time.

The trails have been quiet for a long time cos they have been poorly maintained and not improved. We hope to change all that. Any help we can get would be great. Even spreading the word around all the local bikers.

DezB
    Free Member

Sly bump, as I went for a quick solo ride (well, trailhound in tow) after work yesterday.
    I must say – great work on the new sections. I’ve been riding QE on and off for around 15 years, so it’s great to have some new stuff there at last. (Especially that first berm, means the little drop to it can be blatted without worrying about a muddy landing at the bottom!)
    It did seem like a climb-fest and was wondering myself about riding it the other way (probably just my lack of fitness though!)
    My only worry is the weather – in the wet those off camber sections are going to be unrideable, don’t you think? Most of the new stuff is dug out of the mud, so it’ll be a killer in winter!
    Any plans for a more all-weather surface?
    At the moment its running fast, so is proper fun. Luckily no-one around last night to hear me laughing out loud to myself and making motorbike noises! 😳
    (Also my dog says could you provide a paddling pool at the end of the run 😉 )

superfli
    Free Member

You didnt see a large group of us last night then? I was out with Scott’s clan, trails were still running good as you say. The berms on the latest section (of the doubletrack up) are lovely and fast. Yes, I’m dreading the winter at QE on this new stuff! It was hardwork anyway. The off camber sections may bed in more and sink a little to the harder rock below…
    Some f**kers have gone and vandalised the start of the latest new section. All of Scott’s hardwork in making the start rockgarden and post entrance has been torn down and chucked off the trail, signs removed from trees – gits. I suppose you have to come to accept that until things are more permanently settled in, things will get broken up from time to time, esp over school holidays.

jimster
    Free Member

Some f**kers have gone and vandalised the start of the latest new section. All of Scott’s hardwork in making the start rockgarden and post entrance has been torn down and chucked off the trail, signs removed from trees – gits. I suppose you have to come to accept that until things are more permanently settled in, things will get broken up from time to time, esp over school holidays.

Probably some member of the Purple Rinse brigade who are vehemently opposed to you doing this sort of thing in their wood. 😈

DezB
    Free Member

You didnt see a large group of us last night then?

Just as I was leaving a big group was starting up the first climb, that was probably you (around 7pm).
    I did wonder about the rocks in the pics above, but the way the trail was running didn’t really notice anything was missing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Queen Elizabeth Country Park QECP trail building’ is closed to new replies.