Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Quantocks newbie advice please
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I`m thinking of venturing down to the Quantocks over the easter period with my teenage son , ive never rode down there before so can someone recommend a 20 ish mile route or best place to start ??
    route info tracklog or memory map file would be great also if possible to
    tonypcman@blueyonder.co.uk
    Also a campsite local to the route start

Thanks Tony

sharki
    Free Member

there’s a campsite down the road from Holford http://www.millfarm.biz/local_attractions.html

Best route from there is to ride to holford, then go up, across, down, up across, down…..do this for about 10 miles then head up, across, down a few more times finishing in Holford after about 20 miles..

This is as much info as i’m willing to give…also you need to know the Quantocks has a ban on mountain biking until i’m fixed and can ride up there again…..

Go and enjoy errrrrr a trail centre 😉

acjim
    Free Member

Not sure about camping but route wise there are a couple here – start in Holford, ride up to the top, chose a combe to bomb – bomb down – ride back up etc!

There’s also some good stuff at the forestry wood end too – some nice DH tracks etc

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If it’s your first time you could do worse than to make sure you ride down Stert Combe, Weacombe and Ladys Edge. Lot’s of guides recommend Smiths, but it has an evil climb out. Ride back and forward along the top for a while and enjoy the views. Lady’s Edge and Lady’s Combe are good climbs

I’m basically agreeing with the above!

The Chimney is a fun section, but tricky to explain how to get to.

charlierevell
    Free Member

You could always ask for some local guides to give you a hand… not many of us are working at the moment so will appreciate the company!

sharki
    Free Member

CLOSED DUE TO LOCAL DISASTER!

PLEASE REPORT TO NEAREST TRAIL CENTRE AND FOLLOW THE WAYMARKINGS!!

Gwan shoooooooooo!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

charlierevell – Member
    You could always ask for some local guides to give you a hand… not many of us are working at the moment so will appreciate the company

Thanks for the offer charlierevell , but i`m unsure as to what day/days i can do it, due to shifts etc … it will be a last minute thing if i get to go , but thanks to everone for the advice especially that Sharki bloke !

scraprider
    Free Member

lol sharki,hope you getting betters m8ty

sharki
    Free Member

Anytime slumpym6tti, always a pleasure helping out the grockles.

I’m sure charlie will be available at a moments notice…he used to be very unreliable cuz he’s a lady’s man, but that’s all changed now he’s jobless, they only wanted him for his company car and expenses 😉

Scraprider…i’ve no idea how the manding is going on, just under two weeks on now and when i push on the loose bi of collar bone it moves still and offers me a dull ache…..:-(

jam-bo

stop pushing it then.

scraprider
    Free Member

fug dude,realy STOP PUSHING,take yer time , trails will still be there . see ya soon .

IHN

In all honesty, take an OS map, pick a bridleway (there’s a kazillion of them) and ride it. It’s all good.

jam-bo

the best stuff isnt even marked on the map….

trailmonkey

Get a local to show you around.
    You won’t want to be doing 20 Quantocks miles with a teenager.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just put out a shout when you’re thinking of coming over I’m sure someone will be free for guiding duties, but as trailmonkey says 20 miles on the Q’s is a surprisingly long way.

alexathome
    Free Member

highlights are smiths coombe, ladies edge and the chimney – also downhill track is fun. back down holford coombe from dead womans ditch look out for the U shaped tree on the holford side of the road and follow the track! don’t know if Stellas is open at the moment maybe not from what i;ve heard.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    You won’t want to be doing 20 Quantocks miles with a teenager.

Trust me he`s a hell of alot fitter than me !!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Stella’s closed for good quite a while ago.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Quantock miles are hard miles due to the constant deep downs and steep ups. 20 miles on the Quantocks is like 30 miles elsewhere IMO.

petefromearth

the campsite between Holford and Kilve is pretty good, not too far from trails/pub either. go along the A39 through Holford, and where there’s a sharp LH bend, the campsite is on the right. i’ll be there myself in fact!

i also stayed in a little campsite in Currypool Mills once, which is nearer to bridgwater. it’s a much longer to ride to the hills though. also they have some strange water features which trickle all night – not good if you’ve got a full bladder!

as for trails, the main big walking trail which runs the length of the hills (macmillan’s way i think?) has some fun sections. from there you can dive down into any of the combes and ride back up

anyone know if Stella’s tea rooms is going to be open? last time i was there it looked very closed

knottie8
    Free Member

stella hes gone ! its no longer a tea garden.

knottie8
    Free Member

try linking some of these marked combes for a nice day out.

snaps
    Free Member

Stella’s was demolished last year so very closed!
    There is a hot food van in the layby on the A39 just outside Holford on the Bridgewater side most Saturdays.

petefromearth

RIP stella’s. what a shame, they did a damn good wedge of cake

‘hot food van’ – words that don’t really get the mouth watering! i’ll take a packed lunch

knottie8
    Free Member

we shall be stopping at the layby today for a bacon roll ! admidadly not as good as Stellsa’s hot sticky ginger cake.

sharki
    Free Member

She also has cake………..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks newbie advice please’ is closed to new replies.