Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quantocks ‘gravel’ advice please
  • Cheezpleez

I have a weekend in the Quantocks coming up with the lovely Mrs Cheez. We’re planning to take my Pickenflick and her rigid MTB with gravel-ish tyres, to do a mix of road and not too strenuous or technical off-road.

We’re staying in Kilve and my plan was to ride up past Pardlestone then west to the northernmost end of the Quantocks ridge before jinking south-east to follow the ridge all the way down to the road just east of West Bagborough. We’ll then take backroads east of the Quantocks back to Kilve.

Quantocks route

That’s one day sorted, if it works out. I realise the initial climb will likely be a bit of a monster but I’m hoping it should all be relatively rideable and not *too* hilly after that.

So, Quantocks experts, will it be OK and what other routes or great tracks have I missed?

sheck

Looks a good route… i used to live on Sea Lane in Kilve… it’s worth popping into the Chantry for tea at the end of your ride

Cheezpleez

Thanks for the tip Sheck!

jam-bo

Could head into great woods at adscombe. Some good fire roads to get you back up to the ridge line.

sheck

Not that I’m motivated by tea and cake, but there’s also a new cafe at the Over Stowey end of Great Wood called the Foxy Bean… could make a good mid ride break, if you drop off the ridge as per Jam bo’s suggestion

jam-bo

I meant on the way back…

Esme
    Free Member

Why bother with riding back on lanes? When you have the lovely Quantock Hills right next to you?

Turn round at the southern end of the ridge, and ride back the same way. Then take one of the combes down to Holford, and follow the lane past the old hotel (Alfoxton) to Pardlestone, and back to Kilve.

montgomery
    Free Member

Drop West rather than east, minor roads to Crowcombe for a pint, nail the 25% road climb back to the ridge, than back off-road as above. Throw in the trig point at the north end of the ridge, too, good views towards Minehead.

Cheezpleez

Great stuff! Thanks all

jonostevens
    Free Member

Agree with Jambo – peel off at Triscombe Stone for a loop of Great Wood. Miles of forest track in there. Either that or go back in at Plainsfield and follow your nose through the fire roads back to Stowey.

The Luxborough byway down to Aisholt is a bit bashed up now, not sure it makes for the best gravel path.

Foxy Bean is well worth a stop.

Would also consider riding up to Cothelstone Hill via the car park there. Lovely spot for a break, wonderful views.

Cheezpleez

Thanks for all the advice. On my way home after a great couple of days up on the Quantocks. Ended up doing pretty much my planned route yesterday plus an extension to drop down to the Foxy Bean (twice cos it was so nice). Today we larked about in Great Wood before riding up to the north end of the ridge and dropping down to Bicknoller and following the lanes to Triscombe and then up past the quarry.

We stayed at the Hood Arms at Kilve and I have to say it was fantastic. Highly recommended if you’re visiting the area.

Next time I’ll take my Smuggler and give the combes a proper look.

sheck

Food at the Hood is pretty good these days… good to hear the you had a good stay… am sure the weather helped!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks ‘gravel’ advice please’ is closed to new replies.