Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quantocks conditions?
  • nacho
    Free Member

Can anyone advise what it’s like up there? Is it a muddy bog? I know it normally drains well so we are thinking of going up there tomorrow. (We don’t really know our way around very well, only been a few times and was shown round by locals so will probably be trying a ride pulled from a mag / book)
    thanks

3bikeman
    Free Member

There just after snow[2 weeks ago sunday] – was dreadful, Black hill over higher hare knapp descent into holford was very muddy and chewed up by the hunt. Holford combe is normally a pleasant zig,zag through streams etc – was raging torrents over the knee wading and many trees down across the track making it unrideable – had to walk most of it.

It does drain quickly – think it will depend where you go – but suspect still very much, washed out combes and many trees down, I dont know how quickly they remove them.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

There was a lot of trees down in Greatwood when i was up there last Sunday walking the dogs. I’d imagine it was starting to dry out a bit now though, I’ve done a few rides at Haldon for a change lately as its only a few minutes from work and its still rideable even when its very wet.

Last time i climbed out of Ladys edge it looked more like a stream than a trail 😆

saladdodger
    Free Member

A few of us will be up the Q’s next sunday armed with folding saw’s for a bit of trail clearing.

But tomorrow afternoon I think Haldon is a calling

oxym0r0n

Yeah – lots of trees down last Wed eve all around Great Wood. Haven’t ventured further afield for a couple of weeks and doing the Gorge on the road tomorrow…

ART

As above – loadsa trees down last weekend … did some trail clearing on our travels through Great Wood and the combes, but saws of varying sizes needed. The Holford Combe water courses have reconfigured what with all the runoff from the melt and the rain.

Pooley
    Free Member

Was up there last night for our weekly night blast, it’s not riding well, anything other than hardpack/bedrock is a slimey mess. It was snowing heavily too. Noticed on way to work this morn that the snow had thawed tho’. Best of luck. If you can get there, one of the trail centres would be a better bet.

nacho
    Free Member

Cheers all, will be avoiding the Quantocks, will save it for when it’s a bit drier and more fun! Was going to do FOD but it’s closed, been riding Haldon to death recently as don’t want to trash the local (Woodbury) trails, can’t be arsed driving all the way to Afan to ride in the rain so gonna go to Bristol methinks, might call in to see my brother whilst we are up that way

yunki
    Free Member

if Woodbury is your local, are the new trails at Cardinham in the opposite direction worth a look..?

It’s about the same distance I think

nacho
    Free Member

Cheers yunki, I’m looking at cardinham on t’internet now, might try it.
    EDIT – Anyone been to Cardinham, doesn’t look like it’s fully open:
    http://www.1sw.org.uk/experience/trail-hubs/north-cornwall/

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Frog Combe and the junction of Holford/Poofs Hill was tree strewn, and gonna be quite a challenge to ride… “Folding Saws Are Us” !!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

A few of us will be up the Q’s next sunday armed with folding saw’s for a bit of trail clearing.

I reckon a chainsaw would be better in places 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks conditions?’ is closed to new replies.