Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Quantocks…. are they any good?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've been down a good few times and know my way round most of the area (although I am sure there is more there to enjoy).

For my sins I've invited a few mugs to ride down there with me but someone has said they aren't that good to ride. Personally I've always really enjoyed riding down there but now I'm paranoid as a skunk fuelled stoner that they won't enjoy the riding. Totally irrational but the seed has been planted. 😕

What's everyones views of the Q's? worth a drive to ride?

😉

MartynS

Mate,

I've driven down from Manchester for a days riding in the Q's.. I've really enjoyed both times I've been there.. even though one of them was with you.

yunki
    Free Member

The Tox locals from this forum seem to love it.. so I guess it's pretty good.. they have Dartmoor and Exmoor quite local to them too so they have great stuff to compare with..

I wouldn't mind a look at the area and I should really make the time to do so..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

MartynS – so what you're saying is they'd enjoy it more if I gave them a map and sat in the carpark? 😉 Cheeky beggar!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The STW 'Tox locals showed me round on my birthday in October last year, 2 days' riding.
    I'll say one thing – The riding down there is world class, simply superb. Miss it at your peril. 😀

jam-bo

depends on the route really. I've seen some truly dire routes published in the mags that seem to take in the dullest descents and the shittiest climbs. If i'd only ridden one of them I'd be pretty underwhelmed.

the best stuff isn't even marked on the map, let alone cheeky…

woody74

Went there last weekend and it was some of the best riding I have ever done. Those wooded valleys are just amazing.

bassspine
    Free Member

truly dire routes published in the mags

the routes in MiBbeR seem to be back to front half the time

jam-bo

the last MBR article I saw had photos that were mostly taken away from the published route.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I spent a weekend riding in the quantocks and it was some of the best riding I ave done. Very different to my local riding for sure.

I think I was helped by having local guides to follow.

freeridenick
    Free Member

The legend himself (sharki) guided us round for a day last year. Really good riding –

I would say you need a local to get the most out of it.

bobbyspangles

top class riding if you ask me. have fun, and if they dont like it get new friends!

hopster
    Free Member

Awesome riding IMO. Was down there Sunday and loved every minute of it. Best descents are the ones marked on a map. Lovely flowing singletrack Sheep tracks that are a bugger to locate unless you know where they are. Fast open descents, lung busting climbs and DH at Triscombe. The Quantocks has it all. Hook up with a local and get the best from the day. Oh and I forgot the mazing scenery.

jacko54321
    Free Member

living at the bottom of the quantcoks is a pretty awsome place to live, so close to so much, within a hours driving i can get to exmoor, dartmoor, medips, bristol, exeter.

time for a STW quantocks ride then i think !

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks! I'm really excited but now you've made them out to be sooooo good I just hope people's expectation aren't too high!

neilforrow

following on for this:

has anyone got some good routes.. either on paper or a gps file…

better still, anyone fancy being a guide for the day on sat in return for a few beers?

Neil.

jacko54321
    Free Member

would do but working till 5:30 saturday, and big golf competition sunday so dont want to fall off and not be able to play

jedi

bushwacked, i cant wait. it's all bikes so all good. its about the company rather than the ride 🙂 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I don't finish Nights til 07:30 Saturday morning, so I'll probably be too grumpy for guiding. 😕

jedi

all set for the 6th june bushwacked? 🙂

hopster
    Free Member

jedi – Member

bushwacked, i cant wait. it's all bikes so all good. its about the company rather than the ride

Jedi you might recognise the man in the air. Its Oli who came up for some skills training with you.

When are you riding?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – I've got a paranoid twitch but otherwise all set 😉

Del

Neil,
    look up Knottie. i might even come with you…

jedi

good on oli!!! 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I spotted Knottie leading a ride, as I was driving home from work this evening.

jacko54321
    Free Member

wheres that last photo ?

jam-bo

bottom of one of the triscombe DH runs into cockercombe.

cheers_drive

Jedi you might recognise the man in the air. Its Oli who came up for some skills training with you.

Actually all of us in the photos have been done training with you!
    The Quantocks are brilliant – especially the wooded coombes, not so much fun if you don't like steep climbs though and if you don't know where you're going it's easy to waste a climb by picking a shite descent – hence why I always let Hopster lead 😉

jedi

sweet!! 🙂

jacko54321
    Free Member

climbs out arent that bad ! only really strugle coming out of smiths, got about 90% of the way out last time and hit a rock and lost balance, nearly always an "easy" climb out of most coombes tho

Ambrose

This guy has been brought up on a diet of easy MTb'ing- trailerbikes early on with me doing most of the work, then shuttles so that 'the kids don't have to ride back up', then Alpine chairlifts.

Thomas does NOT do uphill. He hates it. With a passion. SO MUCH!

So here he is at the top of the Quantocks last weekend. And he is not unhappy, at all. The Quantocks are sublime. Bliss. Wonderfull. And I now know TWO decent pubs. The Carew Arms and The Plough. One each on either side of the hills.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

That climb out of smiths is a "challenge" 😯

So I've got a route planned – who's the best person to run it past to see if I'm missing some better bits than I've already included?

jacko54321
    Free Member

ill have a look if you want,

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sweet, what's your email? you got memory map? if not I'll Jpeg it

jacko54321
    Free Member

callum.tompkins@hotmail.co.uk whats memory map ? Jpeg is probably best !

freeridenick
    Free Member

any chance of that route as well bushwacked?

email in profile. many thanks

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Y both GM

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/ great little tool for drawing up routes

hopster
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

bottom of one of the triscombe DH runs into cockercombe.

Yep Oli was sessioning the jump while we waited for the others to arrive. We rode one of the techie singletrack descents on the other side of the coombe which are lots of fun.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Never really explored the Greatwood (other than riding the Chimney) – good stuff there?

neilforrow

bushwacked – can i get a copy of the route too… memory map file is cool, or the .jpg

neilforrow(at)hotmail.com

cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks…. are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.