Quality Singlespeed Chain?

Home Forum Bike Forum Quality Singlespeed Chain?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Quality Singlespeed Chain?
  • Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

I’ve use the KMC Z610HX with no issues.

The 610 is 3/32” and the 1/8” version is the 510.

theflatboy

I got a KMC Z510 HX from Charlie for about £12. No problems so far.

I’ve used KMC 8speed, 1/8 and 3/32 chains recently, all went baggy after a couple of rides, tensioned them up again and they’ve been fine.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    I’ve used KMC 8speed, 1/8 and 3/32 chains recently, all went baggy after a couple of rides, tensioned them up again and they’ve been fine.

I’ve found this as well.

They settle down after the initial stretch.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

There seems to be a consensus that PC-1’s are no good. Which irks, as I’ve just bought 2.

TBH one snapped after a month.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

If you look at a PC-1 it stretches 😉

seconded- the kmc ones mentioned above.

bubs

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend a singlespeed chain that offers good resistance to pedal stomp induced stretching? My current half-link chain started flapping around my chainstays after two (fairly strenuous) climbs on last night’s ride. Is first use stretching normal? (no sniggering please)
    Thanks

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

KMC 610s do ok for me.

Half-link chains are junk, only of any use on a BMX. The plates deform under load and the stretch rate makes them pretty much useless on a SS.

micky

SRAM or shimano 8 or 9 speed chains. There are many really dire rubbish singlespeed specific chains out there. I measure my chains and have gone through some in under 10 rides. You will not go wrong with 8 or 9 speed SRAM or shimano. Dont beleive any rubbish that they will come off as they are designed for geared systems. They stay put 100% of the time if your alignment is good.

thomthumb

I got a KMC Z510 HX from Charlie for about £12. No problems so far.

+1

There seems to be a consensus that PC-1’s are no good

I ruined a chainring and a sprocket in ~6 months cos the pc1 stretched so much. normally bank on 2 years. 🙁

Premier Icon Clobber
    Subscriber

+1 for KMC

PC-1 are pap

jonxmack

As @jameso said, half-link chains are notoriously shite.

Z510 is a good shout.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

+1 KMC

I had a run of SRAM chains breaking a few years back, so no longer use them.

They may be ok now, but why risk the family jewels?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Micky speaks the truth here, best bet are regular 8/9 speed chains and get your chain line sorted

bubs

Z510 it is then. Shame about half links as they did make fitting particularly easy.

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

Bigger, just put a PC-1 on….. Should have done some checking.

Duffer

SRAM 9sp here. Never had any trouble.

Some interesting thoughts on the Surly website, if you’re interested:

4. 1/2×1/8″ chains vs. 1/2×3/32″ chains. 1/2×1/8″ chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn’t better here. Yeah, they’re wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they’re not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32″ chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2×1/8 ” chain will last longer, but most of us don’t and it won’t.

For reference.

There’s an element of truth there, but the KMC ones do seem genuinely better than the competition, and is fundamentally the same chain just in different widths.

It’d be interesting to see how long it lasted against say Shimano’s 10s as I think it was MTBR did some testing and showed they lasted considerably longer than the older 9s ones. The only downside is wide singlespeed sprockets are too wide and pull the plates off the rivets! And I’m guessing that as SS’s are generally infrequently maintained the loss of chain life might be offset by the increase in sprocket life running thick steel sprockets and chainrings rather than thin ones intended for 8/9/10s chains.

_tom_

I have a gusset half link one and it seems good so far, no stretch as yet but haven’t done any particularly stressful climbs yet.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

4. 1/2×1/8″ chains vs. 1/2×3/32″ chains. 1/2×1/8″ chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn’t better here. Yeah, they’re wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they’re not stronger

True. Narrower chains / pins tend to be stronger since the pins are the same diameter in all chains, but chain fails are usually down to joining error where the plates pop off, not pin breakage. The only possible benefit with a good quality 1/8″ track chain is more area to spread the wear over but I didn’t notice any difference with the 2 KMCs I used.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

i use the kmc 510 one above ^^^
    no problems at all, and i am a big bloke.

My current half-link chain started flapping around my chainstays after two (fairly strenuous) climbs on last night’s ride. Is first use stretching normal?

Not being harsh but have you checked your wheel hasn’t moved?

I’ve had plenty where the dropouts slip.

MrSmith

Izumi super toughness

Cheers chaps… You beat me to it…

Z610 in 3/32 it is…

I have never had a warranty job on these and I must of sold around 4000 of these. They used to claim to be stretch proof but nothing is stretch proof.

I have broken one, but the rock that broke the chain also broke my toe, and damaged the chainring… so it’s excuse able.

Avoid half link chains unless you really need to use one, the bent plates try and straighten so you get instant chain stretch.

bubs

Thanks one and all – bigger obviously isn’t always better. Duffer’s link has got me thinking about my gearing now too. I have been running 32:16 for the last few years but is it really better to have something larger on the back? I do get through chains and cogs fairly quickly.

Duffer

There’s loads of interesting stuff on the Surly website. If i was building up a new’un, i’d probably go 36:18, but i’m not going to rush out and replace perfectly usable stuff.

Charlie – i wish there were more people like you in the world. You’ve built your business by advocating drive systems which have practically no parts, and require practically no service items! You’re my hero.

Charlie – I’d like to go into business retailing parts for Singlespeed Bikes.
    Bank Manager – What’s to special about Singlespeed Bikes?
    Charlie – They have no parts to buy, and they don’t wear out.
    Bank Manager – …and is there much of a market?
    Charlie – No, most people build Singlespeeds out of bits they’ve got lying around.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Quality Singlespeed Chain?’ is closed to new replies.