Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • Quality issues on the 17` Ragley Blue Pig 2011
  • bendedheadtube
    Free Member

I had bought the blue pig in march 2011. The frame i recieved had a slightly oval headtube, and not capable of fit in the nukeproof headset.
    After returning the frame to CRC, i asked them to fit in the headset.
    Today i recieved the replacement frame with the fitted in headset. the headset is broken. again. I guess, the headtube is oval again, and that is the reason for the defect headset.

Also the paint job is bad. On several spots is the priming clearly visible.
    Is there anybody with the same problems?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I helped a mate build up a pair of blue pigs for a husband and wife couple.

Both headtubes were oval. We got the headsets in eventually, but it really wasn’t pretty.

(there were reeasons we didn’t send them straight back)

ojom
    Free Member

We will put a hand up on this. Hotlines already know how ticked off we are.

The QC is lacking.

We have had a frame with an upside down fr mech mount welded on.

3 have gone back from new with scratched tubes, with paint in the scratches or as you mention sub standard paint jobs.

It’s becoming annoying as a retailer so i can only imagine how much of a pain it must be for you as a customer to have to organise replacements.

They need to sort it plain and simple but nothing seems to change.

wl
    Free Member

Is it a case of getting what you pay for? They are dirt cheap. No excuse really though, obviously.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Oh, and the maxle dropouts were a joke.

They had a plain 12mm hole in both sides, so there was nothing for the maxle to thread into. It looked like there should have been some kind of bolt on threaded part to mount on the RH one, but it wasn’t included.

Either way though, the drive side end of the maxle stuck out well over an inch from the frame and looked like a guranteed way to tear a sodding big hole in your ankle.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Is the Ragley Hype Machine finally running out of puff?

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

@JonEdwards
    I had the Standard Pig. So i cant try it on my pile of como steel.
    (cant count it as a mtb frame)

I think they are “overselling” their products.
    “The 5Jear Production Warranty” is a simple joke.
    on my first “oval bended” frame, “info@wreck ley” give the
    “bright as light” idea, to just “brute force fit in” the headset.

Brute force on a frame, which cost 300GBP…
    And the headset is in my oppinion one of the most critical part on a mtb frame.

ojom
    Free Member

Is it a case of getting what you pay for? They are dirt cheap. No excuse really though, obviously.

Nope. Look at Dialled or Cotic. Polar opposites in quality of build and finish to Ragley. Not much more if any money over an equiv frame.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Make sure you check the backend aswell, on alot of the frames Ive seen the seatstays have a bizarre looking bend in them.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

[Make sure you check the backend aswell, on alot of the frames Ive seen the seatstays have a bizarre looking bend in them. ]

That makes them easy to spot, and avoid them.
    If you see a bend on the seatstray : run away. run as fast as possible.

jackal
    Free Member

wl – Member

Ragleys aren’t that cheap though!
    The price is what put me off getting a bagger 288 (or whatever its called), ns surge is a lot cheaper and they look nice/well finished in the flesh.

All companies can have problems with qc though. Its how they react and deal with it that makes them a good ‘brand’ and sets them apart from the rest….

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

All companies can have problems with qc though. Its how they react and deal with it that makes them a good ‘brand’ and sets them apart from the rest….

They react with the idea, to use raw force to fit in the headset.

after the anticipated things happen (Headset breaks)
    they redirect to crc.
    That is not a good reaction.

wl
    Free Member

My mistake, I thought they were cheap kit. Another reason not to buy one then.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is the Ragley Hype Machine finally running out of puff?

you only have yourselves to blame for the hype(the doe-eyed STW users that is)

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

i had not hyped the frame. i just bought one.

and now i only know some idoms (i’m not nativ english)

“Never a failure, always a lesson”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Make sure you check the backend aswell, on alot of the frames Ive seen the seatstays have a bizarre looking bend in them.

mates was warped and would not take a disc brake and clear the rotor [ turn the wheel at all] took three goes to get a good un and he made them fit the headset.
    Perhaps the volume has increased but still not good customer service and i am not keen to buy one speaking to mates and reading stuff on them.

warpcow
    Free Member

Oh, and the maxle dropouts were a joke.

They had a plain 12mm hole in both sides, so there was nothing for the maxle to thread into. It looked like there should have been some kind of bolt on threaded part to mount on the RH one, but it wasn’t included.

They’re DMR Swopouts are they not? In that case the threaded section has to be bought seperately, otherwise it’s 12mm bolt-thru.

Like this (clicky).

Still, feeling glad I didn’t jump in and pre-order one now. Hope they get it sorted.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

They sound a bit shit, probably made in some god awful factory.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Suprised Brants’ not popped up yet??

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Nope. Look at Dialled or Cotic. Polar opposites in quality of build and finish to Ragley. Not much more if any money over an equiv frame.

yeah, not like they are that cheap by comparison to others. so many options available it’s hard to see why you would go for a ragley if they have such problems

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

i had not heard about the problems. i ordered mine in march and i got one of the first mk2 frames.

and google had no hits for the “quality issues” until i opened this thread

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I was looking at a maybe getting a Piglet, are there any quality control issues with them that people know about?

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

The paintjob, the headtube and the customer service is awful.
    i have bought my ragley in march 2011 and have not ridden a lousy foot. So i can t say much about the feeling to ride one. i only know the feeling to own a ragley.

and the feeling to own a ragley is just disappointment

brant
    Free Member

Hello

Jens (bendedheadtube) emailed me on 1st July:-

i bought a “Ragley blue pig 2011” frame 5 weeks ago which i ordered from “chainreactioncycles” along with the recommended Nuke Proof Headset 44IESS. (The frame serial number is RYW110488)

Unfortunately it seems, that the frame’s headtube is slightly oval.
    The diameter across direction of travel (left to right) is 43,4mm whilst the diameter alongside the frame (front to rear) is 44,1mm.

The bike mechanic which i commissioned with assembling the frame has doubts wheter the headset will fit into the frame without leaving any permanent damage and/or split the headtube. The mechanic also won’t give any warranty if he splits the frame. He will refuse any claims, if any damage will occur during the assembling of the headset.
    He will only install the headset on my own risk.

My Question is, wheter this is caused by a manufacturing mistake, and furthermore, if it is possible to send the frame back to you in exchange for a correct frame.

Now this isn’t great. It does seem to have been a QC problem with the 44mm head tubes. Our factory have not been as rigorous as I’d have liked and our own goods in procedures hadn’t picked it up either.

I told Jens, as he was in Germany, as the frame and the headset are a Hotlines product, and as we might as well have a go – to fit the headset. If it stuffed up, the worst thing we’d have would be a duff frame (which we had already) and a duff headset (that we manufacture). If it worked, he’d have a rideable frame. So I said:-

Jens.
    If, in attempting to fit a nukeproof headset to a ragley frame, any damage occurs, this WOULD be covered by your warranty.

Ask your mechanic to “go for it”.

Jens’ mechanic failed to get the headset in, so the frame went back to CRC to get sorted there.

Unfortunately there seems to have been an issue and the frame that Jens received back from CRC isn’t right either – which is something I’ve had CRC looking into since Jens made me aware of it on the 26th.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

The first frame “jens” recieved had an oval headtube.
    He did take some measurments, and the 44mm headtube is in fact 43,4mm.
    This caused the headset cups to break every time somebody gives an attempt to fit in the bearing. the same thing happend during the fitting process at crc (with the second frame).

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

Also the paintjob on “jens” second frame is really bad. and the seattube had a bend, too. Like the last frame from “jens”.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/fastrundesrohr.jpg/
    This is a seattube from a ragley. Take a look at this dent. This leaves the factory.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that could be transit damage as assume they would spot that by eye. A slight ovalisation of a round tube would be much harder to see by eye.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

transit damage 2x in a row? The same damage on two frames. No damages on the parcel/packaging.
    This is a X-File

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

this thread now just confuses me. who is “jens”. why is “jens” in quotation marks?

enfht
    Free Member

If it stuffed up, the worst thing we’d have would be a duff frame (which we had already) and a duff headset (that we manufacture). If it worked, he’d have a rideable frame

So some poor sod missed out on riding a “fixed” frame 😯

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

Brand quotes a email from jens.
    i just react to this unusual practise of quoting private email.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

to be fair you were slating his brand when it seems like he is trying to sort a problem for you

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wouldnt be too happy at someone publishing a private email either.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

this is the second damaged frame in a row. the second frame in a row with the same problem. And this time, the paintjob is bad, too.

And ragley offered the idea, to just “give it a shot” and force the headset in. This can cause a long term problem. The steel frame could easily deform the aluminium cup.

Also the idea caused a lot of delay, and an additional cost of 60€ to fuel and fitting. every time i had to visit a bike retrailer, i had to drive 60km.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

it’s times like these that i’d write to watchdog

Junkyard
    Free Member

The OP took the issue public not Brant although I probably would not have published them myself. The OP cannot get all upset about the publicity now IMHO though it may be considered bad form …then again so may the whole thread depending in who you side with.
    My mate is happy with his third frame perhaps the same will happen for you

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

I just wanted to bring in experience, whether I’m the only one who had the whole summer has been waiting for the frame

bikeryder85
    Free Member

did you bring up that it would just be easier for you to send the frame back and not “give it a go”? I understand you being frustrated about the QC mishaps, but in my experience Brant, while very “about face” in convo, is a very genuine guy who prob takes pride in his work, I doubt that was the long term fix. Maybe he was just trying to make sure you didn’t miss riding time?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the OP bought the bike in march and still does not have a satisfactory frame now then thats simply not good enough – as for the suggestion of forcing a headset into an oval headtube – thats not acceptable either. I am suprised at Brant suggesting it.

As for making it public – OP you live by the sword you die by it. You brought it into the public arena soi accept what happens

Junkyard – given the length of he delays and the crazy “cures” suggested by brant I don’t think bringing this into the public arena is wrong

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘Quality issues on the 17` Ragley Blue Pig 2011’ is closed to new replies.