Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Quality bib-shorts
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I’m generally of the opinion that you get what you pay for, having owned Dhb level kit as well as Assos/Rapha stuff. Of course it’s not always the case, my cheap Dhb rain cape for example has lasted aaaages, but it’s just a rule of thumb.

On that note, can anyone recommend me some decent quality bib shorts?

I have Assos 3/4’s and love the pad, so something along those lines…

Happy riding 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have some Spesh £120 rrp some casstelle £165 rrp
    And a few lusso pro gel £60 rrp

For me its the pro gel I always reach for , they just fit me perfectly
    Price is not every thing

simondbarnes

Castelli Free Aero or Body Paint for me. Love the pad, so comfy.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi bibs have an excellent pad, fit sensibly and last for ever. If you hunt around you can get good deals too.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I am going to try some Lusso..UK made and all that…

Got a pair for a bargain on wiggle!

Lusso Carbon Bibs

nickhart
    Free Member

just bought some howies ones. they were brilliant at the dyfi, first time i’ve not had pain over such a distance.

peteimpreza

If you like your Assos 3/4 s so much why don’t you get their shorts with the same pad?

If you look on the Primera site they are doing 20% off at the moment if you use discount code “clothing20”.

njee20
    Free Member

I have Assos 3/4’s and love the pad, so something along those lines…

They have the Mille pad, so I’d get some F.I.Milles.

Kryton57

Dhb Aeron pro. Great bibs.

hatter

Not a huge fan of the Pearl Izumi Elite or Select stuff (I have a fussy 4rse) but their P.R.O kit is genuinely superb and their bibs in particular.

For extra Euro roadie cred I’m also a fan of the much under rated Santini Gel Intech/(GIT) pads. Santini slot nicely into the ‘a bit nicer than DHB/Endura but not silly money’ category. They tend to last really well too.

Merak

Gore Ozon are v good.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Etxe Ondo are lovely. Similar quality to Assos apparently.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Le Col are well made and have a very good pad

d45yth
    Free Member

I like the Gore Alp-X ones. Comfy and they have thicker, more abrasion resistant material in the right places. They last ages…I have 3 pairs I’ve bought over a couple of years and would struggle to tell which pair are the oldest.

scotroutes

Another vote for the Gore Ozons

cp

I’ve hated all the pads in my dhb shorts – theye either come unstitched quickly, become like sand paper quickly, or just plain uncomfortable. 4 sets now and won’t be using again. quality seems to have dipped from the early years of the brand.

mrmo
    Free Member

using Castelli Velocissimo most of the time, decent shorts, not the thickest pad though. Am looking at getting a set of these soon http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/product/10-10-001-10-t-bib-short-pro-s2 I have 5 pairs of Assos shorts but a few are getting a little thread bare now.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Has anyone tried Howies bib shorts?

Kip

Mate of mine just got a pair of Pave shorts (with green pad) from these guys.

http://www.chapeaucycling.co.uk/chapeau-clothing/bib-shorts.html

He loves them and thinks the quality is right up with better known brands. Pretty chuffed with the price too. They are very road orientated (as are most of the other brands you mentioned) and new on the scene but getting good customer feedback so far on Facebook.

Dunno if the price is what you’re willing to pay, but they seem pretty well thought out. Mate did say that they are selling through key local bike shops too if you want to take a look at them, no difference in prices in store or on-line.

MSP

Good thing about the assos mille pads, is that its just a good quality pad without loads of ridiculous density changes and gel iserts etc. Most manufacturers seem to want to show how complicated they can make a pad, and therefore make it so it doesn’t work for hardly anyone (I am looking at you “gore”).

househusband

Has anyone tried Howies bib shorts?

Yes; nickhart above has some – and I have some, too. Haven’t had many bib-shorts so can’t compare but the larger size fit me really well and seem well made. I quite like the fact that they don’t have silicon leg grippers as I find they can constrict a bit, but have had no issues with them riding up.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Yes; nickhart above has some – and I have some, too. Haven’t had many bib-shorts so can’t compare but the larger size fit me really well and seem well made. I quite like the fact that they don’t have silicon leg grippers as I find they can constrict a bit, but have had no issues with them riding up.

Cheers they seem really well priced. Just wondered about the pad.

househusband

Just wondered about the pad.

It’s a TMF pad, similar to the pad in the Chapeau Classic bib shorts (I recognised the logo on them then checked) but may not be as fancy. Tempted to try the Lusso ones, or the Chapeau ones… all the same price – had forgotten how comfortable bib shorts are!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I am a long term Assos user and this season I have decided to have a look elsewhere for some everyday bibs. I went for the Endura bib shorts (not the MTB ones as I don’t like that yellow stitching) and so far I have been pretty impressed. According to the LBS, Endura were claiming that the chamois is made at the same place as the Assos ones at Eurobike and they do seem pretty similar.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Endura use the same pads as Assos

Edit :- Snap

Kip

Are they the same pad or the same make of pad?

Personally I love my Gore Xenon bibs but I am a lady. They cost a fortune and wouldn’t buy again because of that, so I’m waiting for Chapeau to do women’s kit as it’s hard to get women’s bibs at a reasonable price.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

They have the Mille pad, so I’d get some F.I.Milles.

Great if you’re going for the cameltoe look.

qu1nt
    Free Member

Always been happy with Dhb Aeron pro’s but treated myself to a pair of Assos Fi uno last week & found the Assos to be equally as comfortable but not really worth the extra £50 over the dhb’s

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Minsd Assos look betterer

anklebiter101
    Free Member

I’ve just purchased my second pair of Morvelo bib shorts. Price wise they’re around mid range, about £75 which I know isn’t cheap, but it’s nowhere near Assos or Rapha territory.
    I’ve tried DHB and Gore amongst others, but I found the pad in the Morvelo’s to be way more comfy. Some really cool designs too.

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.elasticinterface.com

These are the manufacturer of Assos Pads, i am not going to say the pads are the same though, i strongly suspect that Gore, Assos etc get pads tailored to their designs. Whilst DHB buy the off the shelf option.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

So what about white ones ?

njee20
    Free Member

Great if you’re going for the cameltoe look.

The F.I.13 is the cameltoe pad, far more so than the Mille. You’re wearing Lycra bibshorts though, WGAS?

100mphplus
    Free Member

Primavera have a 20% off ATM, I got some Assos 3/4 bibs for a ‘bargain’ £126 last week;-
    http://www.primera-sports.com/

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of centuries in my new DHB bibs and find them really comfortable.

woody2000

As mentioned by Kryton57, I have 2 pairs of the DHB Aeron Pro bibs and they are very comfy indeed. They are currently £62 a pair (if you have a £5 vouchers which are easy to come by). I recently did 8 hours in the saddle with them on, no issues with comfort at all.

convert

I’ve done a couple of centuries in my new DHB bibs and find them really comfortable.

Conversely I got some of the aeron pro DHB bib shorts and was significantly underwhelmed. Very uncomfortable for me by the end of an 80 mile road ride – which I guess just shows bibs are a personal choice. I’ve got a friend who works for rapha and can buy kit through them at half rrp. Putting on a pair of their bibs is like having your family jewels given a little cuddle. I might struggle to justify at rrp but whilst this arrangement lasts I’d be a fool to not keep on taking advantage.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have various bib shorts – gore, assos, dhb, castelli and the castelli ones are by far the most comfortable. I have to say that the dhb ones are great for the money though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

+1 for DHB

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Very happy with the GORE bibshorts I have. Xenon and Alp-X both super comfortable.
    The xenon in particular just feel invisible, the cut is incredible and the pad is by far the best I’ve used. Over 18hrs riding yesterday, no saddle sores and I am looking forward to going for a ride again today.

Not cheap, but so worth it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Quality bib-shorts’ is closed to new replies.