• This topic has 31 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • QR skewers….what works well?
  • benz
    Free Member

I’d like to spruce up a little SS bike I’m building up at the mo and need new qr skewers.

I’ve done light ,dinky little ones in the past but would like better clamping.

Do Hope ones work well? Or save the pennies and stick to boring old Shimano?

If Hope work well, anyone got a decent pair for sale? Black, red, silver or gun smoke……

Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shimano every time and lets face it they are just skewers.

z1ppy

has anyone mentioned Shimano yet? Deore if you skint, XTR if your wallets over flowing

PPS: I have a lot of love for Hope but would not touch their qr skewers with a shitty stick

seadog101

Shimano XT. May not be the lightest, flashiest, swankiest, but certainly work the best.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Do they have to be QR, if not? Halo XL Hex skewers.

Jamie
    Free Member

Shimano Deore. The ally ones.

simondbarnes

Shimano

cardo

Have used Hope for 2 years on my Singlespeed and they have been great.

lunge

Shimano. Or Campag if you’re on a road bike. But not Hope.

m360
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Hope? I’ve used them for 10 years without complaint. I’ve avoided STW for many of those 10 years though…

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

On several sets of wheels on several different bikes I have the newish shape Hope ones and in my experience they are fine. I believe that the original shape Hope ones (that indents your hand when you close them) had a few instaces of coming open when riders didn’t want them to.

Conversely the newer shape Hope seatpost QR is rubbish and could not hold my seat posts with my heft on it. So I run the older Hope seatpost QRs and they are fine.

No one will fault any era of Shimano wheel QR though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you don’t want shimano, I have several sets of salsa flip offs that have been spot on.

Jeffus
    Free Member

XT I have a new rear you can have for a £5 posted if it helps , its a black one, I ended up with two for some reason. 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Been using Shimano ones for 20 years my wheels have yet to fall off. I tried hope ones but the lever hurt my hands.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DT RWS.

OR Shimano.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If what you’re after is for something to hold your wheels where you want them with no fuss or fettling then Shimano. If you’re more bothered about shiny and less bothered about the holding-the-wheels-on part then you could maybe do better.

This is from my extensive experience of exactly two brands though!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Shimano.

Salsa is the other one I’d use but more expensive.

Waderider
    Free Member

What matter is the cam – internal trumps external.

External cams often do not have predictable friction due to exposure to the elements. I’m not suggesting they flip open, I’m suggesting they stiffen.

You’ll remember your first balls tight external cam on a wet winters night.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Replaced front external cam QR with an internal Shimano one and now my wheel doesn’t pull left when I brake hard. Best tenner I’ve spent.

benz
    Free Member

Jeffus,

Thanks for that offer, yes I’d like to take you up on that.

How best to pay you?

Thanks!

bigblackshed

Hope, Salsa, Shimano.

All good, all work if you tighten them properly.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Hi Benz PayPal to my email jeffmarsh at hotmail.co.uk and your contact details for me to post it 😀

Jeffus
    Free Member

Hi Benz cheers will be with you soon

nedrapier

I tried Ti KCNC ones, having heard a mixture of “they work” “they don’t work” “they do work if you tighten them correctly”.

I’ve tried everything suggested, including tightening as hard as possible, then tightening again by twisting the closed lever round.

They still slip under braking, front and back. QRs supplied with Stan’s wheels did the same, but less so. Probably not so much of an issue with rim brakes, but I don’t have any of them, so I’m back to shimano, no problems at all. Got me over the weight weenie thing!

Nearly new KCNC Ti skewers for sale, anyone? black. 🙂

mjsmke

I’ve got some X-Lite Ti QR’s from about 1996 ish that have been great. They are the ones with the 3 holes in the lever. Been on all my MTB’s since.

matt_outandabout

Shimano

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Salsa

IHN

Hope. No, sorry, Shimano.

scotroutes

Shimano if possible.
    Salsa if you want some bling.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Paul do some closed cam ones. Anyone tried em?

benji
    Free Member

Been very pleased with my Hopes, one to avoid is the crank brothers items they undid on me on a couple of occasions, properly tightened but just came loose, not nice.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘QR skewers….what works well?’ is closed to new replies.